Battery looks like it's ready to blow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
20190807_160521.jpg

What can I do with thing? The one cell is so swollen. The foil is super tight. The cells are all at 3.8. Can't I use the discharge feature on my charger to drain it to zero? I had it outside and it got worse in the heat, I guess. Help please.

Take it outside to a dirt area and shoot it. Or solder up a couple automotive brake lights in parallel and connect it to the main power lead until it shuts off, then cut the end off and twist the wires together so it can't recover and drop it off at best buy in the bad electronics bin.

I wouldn't bother with a charger... then again, I don't have direct access to outside, so it kind of limits my options. I did the tail light thing with the two of mine that did that, then twisted/soldered the main leads together so it couldn't recover any voltage.

Take it outside to a dirt area and shoot it. Or solder up a couple automotive brake lights in parallel and connect it to the main power lead until it shuts off, then cut the end off and twist the wires together so it can't recover and drop it off at best buy in the bad electronics bin.

My neighbors would not be please if I discharged one of my firearms in my backyard. Anywhere else and the police would be just as upset. I don't have brake lights or soldering skills. Any other options? Can I run a vehicle on a stand in NIMH mode until the battery is dead?

My neighbors would not be please if I discharged one of my firearms in my backyard. Anywhere else and the police would be just as upset. I don't have brake lights or soldering skills. Any other options? Can I run a vehicle on a stand in NIMH mode until the battery is dead?
You looked like you were more rural. I was half kidding about shooting it anyway.

I suppose you could connect it, but I'd be hesitant to run it that close to a vehicle. Got an old brushed motor you can stick the wires of in the battery lead?

Then again... you could be being sarcastic and I'm typing just nonsense for no reason. lol!

Last edited:
You looked like you were more rural. I suppose you could connect it, but I'd be hesitant to run it that close to a vehicle. Got an old brushed motor you can stick the wires of in the battery lead?

Then again... you could be being sarcastic and I'm typing just nonsense for no reason. lol!
I'm being serious. Why can't I use the discharge function of my charger?

Oh, you can. But I'd have it somewhere where if it blows, it's not going to hurt anything.

Will a discharge cycle allow you to take it to 0 volts though? Figured there was some sort of safety in there to keep a person from doing that with lipos. May have to switch it to NiMH.

I'm in a 3rd floor apartment, so I was kind of limited with what I could do. I put it in a steel pail with the brake lights on it so if it had a meltdown, I could run down 3 flights of stairs with a smoking bucket without unplugging anything.

Discharge function at least 50' from the house is probably your best bet... At least that's how it seems to me. Or fire pit and a nail? And a video.

Your soldering skills don't need to be the greatest in this case now would be a good time to try what @olds97_lss said a couple of wires soldered to a 1157 automotive light bulb hook it to the battery and let it drain to zero.

I disabled low volt protection in the max 10. Put my throttle trim to get the wheel moving. Truck off the ground. Running until it's dead. Fingers crossed.

Once it's at 0v is it still a huge fire risk?

I think people over react to these types of things. Sure stick and knife in it and it will melt down. But draining it to zero isn’t that dramatic. I’ve done it twice now with damaged lipos and never had a whimper. Discharged them as close to 0 as I could, cut the leads at diff lengths and tossed it in the trash. ??

It will take ages to discharge without load on the wheels. But yeah, it will not burn if it’s at 0v.

Other way to discharge is to throw it in a salted water bucket.

Middle cell is hanging tough

20190807_180316.jpg

Can the silver foil be opened or no?

Last edited:
Bury it in a hole in the yard?

View attachment 44854

What can I do with thing? The one cell is so swollen. The foil is super tight. The cells are all at 3.8. Can't I use the discharge feature on my charger to drain it to zero? I had it outside and it got worse in the heat, I guess. Help please.
As a 3S its obviously toast. Probably overheated it. But you still got a 2S there if you like to solder. You say they are all in range voltage wise? You can try discharging down to 3.2v then balance charge at low amp ( .5C) all three to see if the swelling goes down. Check the resistance of each cell to see if they are close in range to each other. (they have to be close or its toasted) Sometimes this works depending on how many cycles are in the pack. Then Re-wrap it well. Gorilla tape is fine if you don't have any shrink wrap or hard case. Needs to be done outside away from people, your beautiful dog, and property. How daring are you? Most would say don't play around. Discharge as low as possible and recycle it?
I have done it. Don't necessarily do what I did. A personal call.

Last edited:
I disabled low volt protection in the max 10. Put my throttle trim to get the wheel moving. Truck off the ground. Running until it's dead. Fingers crossed.

Once it's at 0v is it still a huge fire risk?
At 00.000000v it has no risk. Discharging at a very low rate avoids heat. Heat and a charged lithium polymer mixing with oxygen (broken seal) is where they get volitile. That's why a charged lipo pack when pierced with a nail flames out.

Put it in a pail of salt water it will cause it to slowly discharge with no heat

Put it in a pail of salt water it will cause it to slowly discharge with no heat
(y) High solution of rock salt and water, if you have some salt lying around from last winter. (y) I tried that too. It works. Leave it soaking for a few days at least. A very slow death.:p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back