Battery looks like it's ready to blow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humor was the only advice I could offer. ?

IMG_1047.JPG

My old Venom 6s 5000 50C as still hanging out in a metal planter in the back field from 6 months ago after 2 of the cells swelled up and dropped to 2.7-2.9V.
I'll end up throwing it in the burn pile I've been working on all spring& summer.

Last edited:
I was able to get it down to 0.5v with the discharger. It's now in a bucket of salt water. How long do you think it needs to sit in the water before it's save to throw away?

It will take ages to discharge without load on the wheels. But yeah, it will not burn if it’s at 0v.

Other way to discharge is to throw it in a salted water bucket.
This does not work, I have tried a few times. Even left the battery in the water for 3 weeks, still had 2v across all of the cells.

Best results are with a 12v light bulb connected to the leads, you don't even have to solder them on just tape the wires directly to the bulb with some gorilla tape. Set the contraption inside a cinder block away from anything flammable just in case.

This is seriously my ghetto discharger. Hasn't failed me yet.
teW8Y5q.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 44872
That's pretty much how mine looks, but I did solder the wires to both the "tail light" pins and "brake light" pins so it pulls the most current possible. The bulb itself gets pretty bright on a 3S and gets hot itself. Been using it for years to deep cycle my NiMH receiver packs in the spring after they sit all winter.

Do you have a Batteries Plus nearby? They took my puffed lipo no problem. That's my plan at least going forward since there is one less than 5 minutes away.

Do you have a Batteries Plus nearby? They took my puffed lipo no problem. That's my plan at least going forward since there is one less than 5 minutes away.
I heard Lowe's will take them too.

This does not work, I have tried a few times. Even left the battery in the water for 3 weeks, still had 2v across all of the cells.

Best results are with a 12v light bulb connected to the leads, you don't even have to solder them on just tape the wires directly to the bulb with some gorilla tape. Set the contraption inside a cinder block away from anything flammable just in case.

View attachment 44872

My LHS uses salt water and he claims it does work. He said they use a ton of salt so maybe that is the key. Anyway, I dropped the battery off today. Danger averted!

I have 2 different models of DC fans that run off of an cigarette lighter in your 1:1 car. They work pretty decent to drain a battery down slowly. Last time I did this I got the 4s LiPo with some alligator clips and drained it down to 0.5V per cell and called it good enough.

That is good to know about batteries plus, we have a few locally.

I was able to get it down to 0.5v with the discharger. It's now in a bucket of salt water. How long do you think it needs to sit in the water before it's save to throw away?
I think it is safe to discard.(y)

Some guys got the luck. Using my phone for this reply
Def not my day today. I just got the boot out of one of my bashing spots. Feds, NYPD and Security came down on me like I was the uni bimber. What a mess. Threw my Kraton in the back of my truck closed it and there they were all around me. They wanted to see all my gear. I had to break it out and show them. Been coming here for a few decades now near my house. Time to move on. An empty parking lot adjacent to a Home depot. No cars . No one was there except me. And they just showed up.:mad:

Def not my day today. I just got the boot out of one of my bashing spots. Feds, NYPD and Security came down on me like I was the uni bimber. What a mess. Threw my Kraton in the back of my truck closed it and there they were all around me. They wanted to see all my gear. I had to break it out and show them. Been coming here for a few decades now near my house. Time to move on. An empty parking lot adjacent to a Home depot. No cars . No one was there except me. And they just showed up.:mad:
Let me guess they told you you were trespassing?

Link
Wow!! Hope all ended well.

Yes even an empty home depot parking lot is private poperty. When asked to leave. You gotta move on. Someone saw me on video and felt I was a threat running my Toy Truck. I was wearing my hat cam the whole time. PD ask me to shut it off. I told them when they shutoff their body cam. Still don't know why HSI and NYPD's Terrorist Unit got involved. :unsure: I'm sure some officers there felt stupid. Some people are not RC friendly. Some people fear what they don't understand. But a Toy Truck should be self explanatory. Sorry for the rant. I was on this forum on my phone when this all went down.i was letting the motor cool down between packs.

Last edited:
Yes even an empty home depot parking lot is private poperty. When asked to leave. You gotta move on. Someone saw me on video and felt I was a threat running my Toy Truck. I was wearing my hat cam the whole time. PD ask me to shut it off. I told them when they shutoff their body cam. Still don't know why HSI and NYPD's Terrorist Unit got involved. :unsure: I'm sure some officers there felt stupid. Some people are not RC friendly. Some people fear what they don't understand. But a Toy Truck should be self explanatory. Sorry for the rant. I was on this forum on my phone when this all went down.i was letting the motor cool down between packs.
Man, sorry to hear it. That's crazy!

I've had police roll up on me when I was out bashing. However, they just do what everyone does:
how fast does it go?
how much is it?
Looks like fun!

Then they watch for a while and roll out. I've had them come up on me when running nitro and electric. I just try to avoid being near people. I usually won't run at a skate park with kids around and when they show up, I leave shortly after.

My neighbors would not be please if I discharged one of my firearms in my backyard. Anywhere else and the police would be just as upset. I don't have brake lights or soldering skills. Any other options? Can I run a vehicle on a stand in NIMH mode until the battery is dead?

Take your camera out.. Drop the pack on the driveway.. Take a broom.. Tiewrap your exacto to it.. And puncture it.. Put it on YT

Take your camera out.. Drop the pack on the driveway.. Take a broom.. Tiewrap your exacto to it.. And puncture it.. Put it on YT
A well planned controlled detonation of you lipo is always an option.:p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back