Senton Battery options.

Nimh or lipo

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannybeasy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Well I finally received my metal hd input gear that I been waiting on for forever and now my mega can actually handle the new 4 pole brushless motor and upgraded esc I got for it. Well it’s definitely a lot faster. Can really tell the difference in speed and acceleration. Now currently I’m running a venom nimh 8.4v 5000 mah battery. But I keep seeing a lot of talk about running a lipo battery. So for this setup I have now am I better off with the nimh battery or a lipo. Which is fastest and gives you the longer run time. Thanks everyone.

lipo vs nimh

LiPo vs NiMH Runtime
LiPo has a very specific charging method. Most of the time the battery pack has cells connected in a series and in that case, a special charger is required that can monitor the charge on each individual cell so that no one cell has a bigger charge than the other ones. If there is a cell that was overcharged, there can be some severe consequences on the battery life and the device it was connected with. The overcharging will cause the battery cells to expand at a rapid rate, and delamination will affect the battery health. As an outcome, there will be bad interaction inside the cell and the life of the cell will decrease. They have a limited lifespan of the battery, LiPo only has about 300-400 cycles of discharging. You will need to swap your LiPo batteries before their competitions give out.

Lipo battery on rc car

Some good care tips and maintenance methods can protect the batteries from depression and further additional detritions. Charging NiMH batteries are only charged appropriately on a charger that is precisely designed for NiMH. NiCD only chargers will not charge NiMH batteries correctly and will reduce the output of the product. One hour is a safe time period for charging your battery, which means a 2000Mah battery, can be charged at a maximum ratio of 2000Mah or 2Amps. They cost efficient when compared to LiPo, the batteries have a long life of about 500-1000 charges or 2-3 years and not as likely to catch fire if punctured like their comparator in LiPo verses NiMH. Trickle charging them is a modest job, and there is little danger of overcharging.

NiMH chargers come in two focally different styles from which, the popular type is the Trickle Charge, it is a low output which doesn’t halt or cut off when the battery is full but it’s just a low output it is not ample current to do any damage to the battery, although but is still extremely commended to disconnect once the battery is charged. The charging time can be easily calculated, by dividing the output Mah from the charger with the Mah capacity of the battery. Trickle Charger usually generates 500Mah and the battery is 2000Mah, therefore 4 hours for a fully charged battery is enough. The other category of NiMH charger is called “Delta Peak”. Charging a NiMH battery with this technique the charger knows when the battery is full and can discontinue charging, hence saving the overcharging issue.

LiPo vs NiMH Performance
Lipo has higher capacities and voltages which potentially allow for more speed and power. Typical Voltages include 7.4V, 11.1V, 14.8V, and 22.2V. They discharge energy at a different and flatter rate which is what allows them to have more power. This allows for a more consistent stream of energy to your motor and meaning they pack more punch. They charge faster than other options available.

There are quite a few different ways to charge NiMH batteries, they are less delicate to overcharging than LiPo but they can still be dented from overcharging. The innocuous way to charge the NiMH battery is by trickle charging. The charging is started with a small, fixed current to protect the battery from overcharging and detrition of battery life. Fast charging is slightly perilous. The charging needs to be halted before the batter is overcharges; this is predominantly problematic for this type of battery. Usual methods can’t be used to identify a drop in voltage or the fully charged inclination because there is no drop in charge in NiMH batteries when they reach full charge. Nevertheless, the temperature change can be employed to get a faster charge.

LiPo Performance

There is a lot of stuff online about conflicting advice which can be very confusing, especially with the memory effect of these batteries, which is caused by the voltage depression. NiMH can suffer from these depressions but it is arguably as to how obvious it really is on the apparent performance of the battery.

Let’s compare the information above and talk about the advantages of NiMH batteries. They are more user-friendly as they are simpler in structure and usage. They can usually endure more charging cycles, hence having a larger lifespan. Some potential disadvantages may include, that this battery drops power throughout the run, your car slowly loses power until the battery dies.

Because of the metal covering they have Heavyweights. They usually have lower voltages, typically come in 3.6V and 7.2V. Fast charging is difficult because you may overcharge and damage the battery. They don’t offer as much power as LiPo and they don’t last as long on a charge.

LiPo vs NiMH Weight
By eliminating the firmness and the weight of metal cases, these batteries can be made much daintier and reduce the weight than its alternatives. The lightness can be the selling point for most hobbyists who are interested in improving their vehicle’s speed and reduce the weight to increase the height ones flying based devices can achieve.

A LiPo battery has cells that are usually in a flat and rectangle in shape, there is no customary physical size for a LiPo cell, but a lot of RC cars have the same standard design to accommodate a 6-cell battery which is generally 137x45x234mm give or take a few millimeters, so that can be titled as the “standard size” but in reality they come in various shapes and sizes to accommodate many diverse kinds of devices. LiPo batteries vary a lot in width height and length which makes the usage unlimited, making the battery to fit perfectly in your many different RC’s or any other use you’re consuming them for.

LiPo vs NiMH Weight

Whereas, the metal exterior makes them more durable and less of a jeopardy than their alternative but the metal covering they have a heavyweight and makes it a bad option for flying based devices.

Back