Battery question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukesrc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Hello everyone, I just purchased a Fazon Voltage and only have the 2 li-on batteries that come with it and a 1800 mAh Dynamite speedpack from my Luncbox. I took the speedpack along with me today while wifey and I took my son for a walk, and did notice a difference in performance when I ran my speedpack after the li-on died out...I have a Dynamite Prophet Sport Mini Multi Chemistry charger, just got back into the hobby after awhile so I have not used any lipos yet...I'm looking for some recommendations for a possible lipo pack to keep the better performance, I've seen the li-on batteries are mostly all on back order everywhere I looked and figured I can maybe get a lipo? Tnx in advance ?

I forgot that they use 18650 cells. Without spending a bit of $, those don't put out a ton of current. I vape, so I try to buy ones that can handle what I do with them. I guess though, spending $6-7 per cell isn't that bad, but still, they don't have the current available that a good lipo pack has, or the capacity.

Looking at the tower hobbies page, it appears you can put more than 2 liion's in there to extend run time, which would suggest that the liion holder puts the cells in parallel pairs. So, with that in mind, 3 pairs will triple the current available as well as the capacity. However, like any Li* cells, it would be best to always run them together and charge them together, so instead of buying 4 more to add to what you have, you should buy 6 and use them all together at the same time, always, so they match each other in wear. So, buying 6 of them at $6-7 puts you in a typical 5400 2S lipo price range.

Looks like the aarma 18650 cells are 1500mah 20A. Not sure if they are "protected" or not. You can get 18650's with a built in chip so they can't be over drained and I think overcharged. Most 18650 chargers don't overcharge anyway, but an esc will overdrain them if it isn't set to lipo mode. NiMH cells (typical rc sub-c packs) don't care about being overdrained, but Li* do.

That lipo thread doesn't talk about 18650's really at all I don't think. Only the typical lipo packs we use for RC.

These are all higher MAH than the arrma cells and are the same or more than 20A discharge:
https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-25r-18650-rechargeable-battery/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/lg-hg2-18650-3000mah-20a-flat-top-battery/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/mxjo-18650-3000mah-flat-top-battery/

Those are what I use for vape. They are all flat top though... these are button top:
https://www.imrbatteries.com/lg-hg2-18650-3000mah-20a-battery-button-top/

Those are twice the capacity of the Arrma 18650's, so even at $7 a cell vs $4 a cell for arrma's, your doubling your run time.

None of them are "protected", so you would likely want to change your esc to be in lipo mode.

So, the choice would be, do you want to continue using 18650's or do you want to start using 2S lipo packs? If you want to use 2S lipo packs, you will also need a proper lipo charger. The lipo thread has a lot of info on what brands to look for. Personally, I run mostly SMC lipo's and have had good results.

The voltage is a bit picky about battery size, as you need the wires to come out of the corner, as there is no space for them to come out from the side as some batteries have.
SMC have a batteries with a perfect size, that i use. you have a 5400mah variant or a 7400mah if you want endless runtime. both the same size and will fit.

The voltage is a bit picky about battery size, as you need the wires to come out of the corner, as there is no space for them to come out from the side as some batteries have.
SMC have a batteries with a perfect size, that i use. you have a 5400mah variant or a 7400mah if you want endless runtime. both the same size and will fit.
I use those 7400's in my outcast, erbev1, savage flux in pairs for 4S. SMC used to have them as 7200's a year or two ago. I had 4 of those as well, which I took apart and built 7200mah 3S packs out of that I now run in my smaller trucks.

Awesome info guys tnx again, I will deff post and let ya'll know what I come up with ? #kickthetires #litethe?

Your battery choice, like it, has been said over-and-over. You choose your batteries for the race day expected. I remember when all we had was 7.4volts in 1200mAh, only in NiCad. After a modest couple of runs, my battery was on its way out. For one drag? At least 50-60C, and maybe (two expecting heats. But when we're are busy it was over for Race Night.

HAve fun out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back