Battery safety - ic5 to xt60 conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyLocal

Reaction score
I purchased my son an RC boat (the UDIRC UDI005 arrow) for Christmas and it came with a generic 11.1v 2500mAh (27.7Wh) lipo that uses an XT60 styled plug. I’m hoping to find a larger mAh battery for longer run time or convert the ic5 to xt60. A 11.1v 2500mAh lipo will last a very short time. I have several 2s ic5 lipos. I’m wondering if it’s safe and possible to convert a Spektrum 7.4V 5000mAh 2S 50C Smart LiPo that uses an IC5 to a 11.1v XT60 connection? Or is it safer and easier to buy a larger mAh with the xt60 already in place? How do I know how big of a mAh or max ‘C’ ratings I can safely use? Being an overseas manufactured boat, the customer service is extremely limited and won’t recommend a battery or any further information. The manual is also limited on information. The company will only sell me the generic 2500 mAh that was included. Any recommendations?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Battery that came with the boat:
https://rcmodelsonline.com/product/...s-remote-control-high-speed-boat-spare-parts/

I purchased my son an RC boat (the UDIRC UDI005 arrow) for Christmas and it came with a generic 11.1v 2500mAh (27.7Wh) lipo that uses an XT60 styled plug. I’m hoping to find a larger mAh battery for longer run time or convert the ic5 to xt60. A 11.1v 2500mAh lipo will last a very short time. I have several 2s ic5 lipos. I’m wondering if it’s safe and possible to convert a Spektrum 7.4V 5000mAh 2S 50C Smart LiPo that uses an IC5 to a 11.1v XT60 connection? Or is it safer and easier to buy a larger mAh with the xt60 already in place? How do I know how big of a mAh or max ‘C’ ratings I can safely use? Being an overseas manufactured boat, the customer service is extremely limited and won’t recommend a battery or any further information. The manual is also limited on information. The company will only sell me the generic 2500 mAh that was included. Any recommendations?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Battery that came with the boat:
https://rcmodelsonline.com/product/...s-remote-control-high-speed-boat-spare-parts/
While I can’t comment on the smart batteries since I don’t use them, I’ll just give my input. I’d buy a larger mAh battery. If you’re worried about run time just get the biggest that will fit in the battery tray. The C rating and mAh have nothing to do with what the system can handle. It’s volts you need to worry about. The electronics pull what they need from the battery. A battery at a given voltage can’t fry the electronics. Just because it has a higher “C”rating (which is bogus anyways) doesn’t mean it’s going to “push” more power into the ESC and motor.

While I can’t comment on the smart batteries since I don’t use them, I’ll just give my input. I’d buy a larger mAh battery. If you’re worried about run time just get the biggest that will fit in the battery tray. The C rating and mAh have nothing to do with what the system can handle. It’s volts you need to worry about. The electronics pull what they need from the battery. A battery at a given voltage can’t fry the electronics. Just because it has a higher “C”rating (which is bogus anyways) doesn’t mean it’s going to “push” more power into the ESC and motor.
💯 facts here.. only downside I can see/think. After a certain mah. Runtime esc/motor getting warm/hot

So I just measure the LxWxH of the battery tray and as long as the battery is within the tray size, there shouldn’t be an issue and is fully safe? The only11.1v with xt60 connectors I’m seeing is the same 2500mAh size. I was hoping for at least a 5000mAh.

So I just measure the LxWxH of the battery tray and as long as the battery is within the tray size, there shouldn’t be an issue and is fully safe? The only11.1v with xt60 connectors I’m seeing is the same 2500mAh size. I was hoping for at least a 5000mAh.
Yup. Perfectly safe. Just buy what fits and solder on new connectors.

It is safe, but if you have the Spektrum smart charger, you will lose the smart charging capabilities. The smart charger will see it as just a regular lipo.

Also you will lose the Spektrum smart capabilities (battery level on transmitter?) if you change the battery's connector & use that Spektrum battery & an adapter with a spectrum ESC/Tx/Rx combo that comes with ARRMA vehicles.

I'd change the plug on the boat's ESC or even use an adapter first to see if it makes a difference 1st. But changing the boat's plug will probably void it's warranty.

Last edited:
It is safe, but if you have the Spektrum smart charger, you will lose the smart charging capabilities. The smart charger will see it as just a regular lipo.

Also you will lose the smart capabilities (battery level on transmitter?) if you use that Spektrum battery with a spectrum ESC/Tx/Rx combo that comes with ARRMA vehicles.

I'd change the plug on the boat's ESC or even use an adapter first to see if it makes a difference 1st. But changing the boat's plug will probably void it's warranty.
I didn’t even think of changing the boats ESC plug. Thanks!
It’s safe to use a 7.4v 100C 5000mAh lipo on it being setup and coming with a 11.1v lipo? I’ll try finding a male-to-female xt60 to ic5/ec5 plug (or do I have the terminology backwards?? 🤷🏽‍♂️).

I do have the Spektrum SMART charger and I think it only charges by the ic5 connectors. Unless I can charge non-SMART batteries by just their balance leads?? It’s more “smarter” than me; sorry for my ignorance. 🙄

What ESC is in the boat? That will tell you what voltages it can handle - for the most part most ESCs that are 3S will usually be 2S-3S rated so you should be good but best to check the particular ESC and confirm.

What ESC is in the boat? That will tell you what voltages it can handle - for the most part most ESCs that are 3S will usually be 2S-3S rated so you should be good but best to check the particular ESC and confirm.
The specs of the ESC are so limited but here is what I found…

https://www.wl-toys.com/UDI-UDI005-...s-motor-RC-Racing-boat-Accessories-34434.html

I’m pretty sure is a 120amp brushless ESC.

“UDIRC UDI005 for Arrow RC Boat Spare Brushless 120A ESC UDI005-31”
3C2D2BE8-D777-4046-84B5-81700B7D2AA1.png
C13725C6-C891-4BC3-B1E1-7D3C8D788A9E.jpeg
Also, the battery tray seems to be roughly:

Battery: 5”x1.5”x1”

Tray: 5”x1.5”1.5”

0F658AE3-20E5-403A-A355-B254E0760B89.png
FCB1775F-133C-49F0-BEFC-B47119529941.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn’t even think of changing the boats ESC plug. Thanks!
It’s safe to use a 7.4v 100C 5000mAh lipo on it being setup and coming with a 11.1v lipo? I’ll try finding a male-to-female xt60 to ic5/ec5 plug (or do I have the terminology backwards?? 🤷🏽‍♂️).

I do have the Spektrum SMART charger and I think it only charges by the ic5 connectors. Unless I can charge non-SMART batteries by just their balance leads?? It’s more “smarter” than me; sorry for my ignorance. 🙄
Not sure about if, or how that Spektrum charger charges non Spektrum batteries, but if it has balance leads & a balance board, it should charge other batteries with an appropriate adapter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I looked the boat model # up online, & found a few YouTube videos & appears you have the updated radio & ESC in your model. I saw no mention of c rating on the battery or ESC.

Also, as @Engineer stated, if the ESC is capable, using 2s 5000mah lipos will give longer run-times but at a slower top speed.

As far as the terminology for male/female adapter & connectors s, I usually get them confused too!
I find it helpful concentrate on where the actual conductive parts of the connectors fit. But I could still be wrong 🤔

xt60 connectors can't hold the amps that a IC5 connector can as someone else mentioned too. I'm actually in the process of changing ALL my connectors out to IC5. It's worth doing so you don't have to worry about it later.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back