Battery Sound Off! Everyone please post what batteries and charger you use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolzero

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I took a 25 year break from RC before getting my Nero. Batteries have changed a lot. I bought Duratrax Onyx LiPo 3S 11.1V 5400mAh 50C Soft Case XT90's from Tower because I had no idea what I was doing and they came with XT90 connectors. They cost $80 each. What batteries are you guys all using? How much did you pay and how happy are you with them?

I bought the Dynamite C2050 Prophet Sport Quad 4 X 100W AC/DC Battery Charger.
https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-C2050-Prophet-Battery-Charger/dp/B019HXVI60/
OMG I love this thing. They make a 50W version but it's only $25 cheaper so I figured why not get the 100W.
What charger(s) are you using and what are your thoughts?

I use a Hitec 4x 50w charger. Planning on getting a 100w model to shorten charge times.

Only batteries I have are SMC. Currently have 8 3S and will be adding 8 4S soon.

I bought this setup as these are my first hobby grade electric rc's. I've had a few nitro models in the past. I didn't have any batteries or a charger. I got this from Tower with a $25 coupon. I had priced the batteries at about $80 each as well and the charger was like $120. So I figured that this setup was like getting a free battery, plus the $25 off. Also included that XT90 leads. That saved me about $16 more dollars. Now, I am searching for a couple of low priced 2S or one 4S brick to power the Senton.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHSL&P=ML

I wanted a new charger to charge in pairs since purchacing a nero, I went with the venom pro duo 80 watt changer, 2 onyx 35c 5000 mah 3s, and 2 onyx 6000 mah 50c 2s, both set came with xt90 connecters. I read the specs and felt the venom had more bang for the buck compared to others for $99.

Ive been using Turnigy Nano-Tech's for the past few years. I had 4 3s 5000mah 65-130c batteries and the same in 2s, but sold a bunch of stuff and gave a few batteries away with the trucks. Now I have 2 of the 3s batteries and 2 2s 5000mah 45-90c Nano-Tech batteries. Im about to buy 2 of the SMC 3s 7200mah 90C batteries here soon for the Nero. I rock a cheapy Traxxas charger right now. The Blue one with the fan problems. Lol. I don't know the model number off hand.

I'm looking to get either the venom dual charger or another charger to do at least 2 batteries at a time.

Ive been using Turnigy Nano-Tech's for the past few years. I had 4 3s 5000mah 65-130c batteries and the same in 2s, but sold a bunch of stuff and gave a few batteries away with the trucks. Now I have 2 of the 3s batteries and 2 2s 5000mah 45-90c Nano-Tech batteries. Im about to buy 2 of the SMC 3s 7200mah 90C batteries here soon for the Nero. I rock a cheapy Traxxas charger right now. The Blue one with the fan problems. Lol. I don't know the model number off hand.

I'm looking to get either the venom dual charger or another charger to do at least 2 batteries at a time.

One of the reasons that I went with the Duratrax system above. For about the price of two batteries, I got two batteries, the DUAL charger, and the XT90 connectors. To me, it was a no brainer. That charger also came with dual leads for just about any kind of battery out there. I'm sure there are better and faster out there, but for the cash outlay, I'm super happy with it.

Last edited:
IMG_5673.JPG
Ecube C3 50W charger and gensacearespammers 7200mA 70C

One of the reasons that I went with the Duratrax system above. For about the price of two batteries, I got two batteries, the DUAL charger, and the XT90 connectors. To me, it was a no brainer. That charger also came with dual leads for just about any kind of battery out there. I'm sure there are better and faster out there, but for the cash outlay, I'm super happy with it.

I'll have to look into that. I know a friend of mine was looking for some batteries and a charger too. He bought the nero when it went on that 3 day sale with Tower, but has no batteries at the moment. Thanks.

Has anyone used the UltraPower UP120AC duo? It claims to be able to go 120w per channel, but does anyone know if the PSU is actually supplying a full 120w to each or is it like other chargers and the "Wattage" output is halved because the internal power supply itself can only do x wattage?

I'm between that and the Hitec x2 AC Plus, but don't want another 50w charger like my Traxxas iD charger.

I'm only going to be charging 2s and 3s for now, with the possibility of a single 4s being added to the mix later on.

20170106_234442.jpg
Onyx 3S 5'000MAH 25C, & LECTRON PRO 3S 5'000MAH 50C. I have ran the Onyx 25C LiPo's one time now in 0° weather, but haven't ran the 50C ones yet. The Onyx Batteries are 2+ year's old and didn't have any problems...

thrcp4232.jpg
Current Charger...
Wanting this...thrcp4239.jpg

Currently using the up120ac. Charge my both batteries at 10 amps no problem.

Had a pair of Onyx 3S 5400 50C that I bought with my Nero, as it was the spec battery for it at Tower. Big mistake. Both puffed like a circus clown's balloons. Less than 12 cycles, never abused, never charged >1C. Called Duratrax/Hobbico and was told that the warranty ends the first time you charge them. Never again.

Attachments

• IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 84
View attachment 5581 Ecube C3 50W charger and gensacearespammers 7200mA 70C
How the gensacearespammers run?

Where did you get these with the xt 90 on the already! Thanks.

I'll have to look into that. I know a friend of mine was looking for some batteries and a charger too. He bought the nero when it went on that 3 day sale with Tower, but has no batteries at the moment. Thanks.
Tower has been out of stock on the $199 package been waiting since Jan 1

Graupner Ultramat 16s (90w) linked with LogView.
For the Nero 3s 75c hobbystar hard-case 7600 mAh or gens-ace-r-spam 2s 6500 mAh 50c hard-case too.
In the future probably a second charger (icharger ?) to shorten batteries charging time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back