Kraton Battery storage for 6s lipos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, also SoC at the moment of failure is important to consider, as most won't be the 5.0V/200% SoC fireballs you see in online videos of intentional overcharging, but thermal runaway within the much less energetic normal charge range triggered by some kind of internal damage to a cell. Still wouldn't want one of those bags to be my only line of defense but I think they stand a better chance of partially containing a real-world energetic failure than some experiments suggest.

I have this bag also. It was a bonus freebie included with a purchase some years back. The video is kind of silly . An old video at that. And He only used one 4200mah 3s pack.:rolleyes:

I use this bag just to carry lipos out in the field. It is useless otherwise, IMHO. All lipo bags are.
For us Surface RC bashers, our High capacity large bricks will destroy these bags in a heartbeat. The bag offers little safety performance IMHO.

Do you think I need a larger bag? :LOL:

One lipo that goes up will cause a chain reaction with the other lipos. :eek: Then you are done for. Better just run and get your family and pets out of the house or garage wherever.:rolleyes: Then call 911 and call your Homeowners Ins. company.

20221019_132454.jpg

^^^ exactly how I look at it.
May have that 15 second notice to toss the whole bag outside, or out of your car.
I had one lipo fire before while running my rig. Seconds count.
The flame they generate is more a kin to a MAP gas Torch. Yet even more so.
I laughed how the HobbyMate video showed him using a simple lighter to show the bag is Fireproof.
He should have used MAP gas as the fire source. A much more realistic simulation of the fabric's abilty to prevent burning.
This was just for marketting.
Having 5-6 6s 6kmah bricks fully charged and igniting inside this lipo bag would be catastropic, no matter how you slice it.
Imagine this happening while you are driving and its in the trunk of your car???:cry:
I keep my lipos with me nearby in the front of the car. So if it fires up. Out the window it goes, if I am quick enough. You usually hear a pop first.
In the back of my SUV or in the trunk, then you are SOL, and its too late. You will need a new car.:cry:
It is best to separate all your lipo's. Having them in the rig(s) already is one way.
One lipo on fire is bad. A chain reaction with the rest of them is tragic.
The risk of lipo fires is highest when charging them and when transporting fully charged ones. Fully charged they are most volitile.
And always check lipos for damage when bashing.

Last edited:
I have to agree, lithium fires are difficult to extinguish.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-alert-important-hyundai-and-kia-recalls-fire-risk
The recent rash of ICE fires though have been occurring while running or while parked and off.

I think a lot of it just has to do with build quality and design. Lithium batteries are pretty much in everything, including a Lipo in every phone, tablet, RC :LOL:. Better design, better quality, less instances of catastrophe.

Co-worker has 200K now on his Tesla Model S (2015). Original Everything (except a couple door handles and front struts). Its pretty amazing really, I think last time we talked he said there was about a 3-4% loss in total capacity from new.

Assuming a car that size with that power gets about 25ish mpg average (thinking Audi A8). That's 8000 gallons of fuel that was never burnt. Specifically in the PNW we have a much higher percentage of renewables on the grid as well.

For the city goers with shorter commutes, cars in general are very inefficient and pollute significantly more when cold. I feel like the electrics with 80mile ish range make a lot of sense for most commuters, they have smaller batteries and use much less resources to build. There is also the consideration of lost energy, example being energy lost to brakes. Electrics and Hybrids regenerate power and increase SOC after long downhill runs. They rarely need brakes, no oil changes, and don't leak oil when they get old. Mechanics are also far simpler with no transmission to speak of and far less moving parts in an electric motor.

That being said I feel like we have a long way to go in how our society recycles things, even the lithium supply chain is terrible (from what I have read) in regards to recycling. A better energy storage solution would be awesome and better recycling processes.

If we could streamline that aspect of lithium I think we would be in much better shape. Frankly the recycling process of any car (gas or electric) is not great...

Just my 2 cents.

^^^ exactly how I look at it.
May have that 15 second notice to toss the whole bag outside, or out of your car.
I had one lipo fire before while running my rig. Seconds count.
The flame they generate is more a kin to a MAP gas Torch. Yet even more so.
I laughed how the HobbyMate video showed him using a simple lighter to show the bag is Fireproof.
He should have used MAP gas as the fire source. A much more realistic simulation of the fabric's abilty to prevent burning.
This was just for marketting.
Having 5-6 6s 6kmah bricks fully charged and igniting inside this lipo bag would be catastropic, no matter how you slice it.
Imagine this happening while you are driving and its in the trunk of your car???:cry:
I keep my lipos with me nearby in the front of the car. So if it fires up. Out the window it goes, if I am quick enough. You usually hear a pop first.
In the back of my SUV or in the trunk, then you are SOL, and its too late. You will need a new car.:cry:
It is best to separate all your lipo's. Having them in the rig(s) already is one way.
One lipo on fire is bad. A chain reaction with the rest of them is tragic.
The risk of lipo fires is highest when charging them and when transporting fully charged ones. Fully charged they are most volitile.
And always check lipos for damage when bashing.
Absolutely agree with @SrC ☝ Seconds REALLY DO matter!! Ask me how I know 😬 From the time I heard the battery on the charger making squeaking noises to the 1st pic outside was probably 15 seconds, then the 2nd pic is maybe 1 1/2 minutes from then. Just happened last week

20221013_223140.jpg

20221013_225022.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back