Battery storage question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefy nugz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So lately it’s bees around zero degrees here! I’m still storing all of my rc’s in my freezing cold garage. Along with all my transmitters and AA batteries. I keep my lipos inside my basement which sits around 60-65 degrees.

How are you guys that live in cold frosty states storing your rigs and lipos? Is it ok to leaves my rigs in the freezing cold?

Thanks guys!!!

I keep mine inside cuz ya know. I'm usually doing some sort of maintence or repairs or swapping tires ect.

Lipos stay inside as well inside a few fire retardant bags.

Is it ok sure I don't see why not, the diff fluid will be a tad thicker till it warms up but.. I dunno that's going to really cause any problems.

all of mine are in basement. and my lipo's are in metal cans

If it's going to stay in the cold for any duration, or not be used for any real duration, remove the AA's as well or they will corrode/leak. Otherwise, if they were stored dry, I don't see any harm in it. But, if you had water/mud on it/in it/in the tires, I'd suggest keeping it somewhere above freezing. Water expands when it freezes, which won't work out well with anything containing it.

What type of metal cans do you guys use? Proper lipo cans or a metal tool box ammo box

I use a vented 50 Cal ammo can for storage, and remove idle batteries when charging. For venting, just drill some holes where the dimples are on the lid or remove some of the rubber gasket between the lid and box.

Cool thanks guys! That’s what I figured. I used to keep them in the basement on a four rack shelf. Now that I have four trucks, just gave my 8 yr old son my typhon, now he has three, and my daughter has one. Being that our arsenal of rigs has doubled, Along with the amount of transmitters and spare parts. Yeah I was then kicked to the garage!

i put a layer of sand then a layer of ceramic tiles in the bottom of an ammo box then put my lipo's in a fire retardant bag. the idea was to protect whatever surface the ammo box was on from burning. not sure if it will help any if something goes wrong but i sleep better at night...

Can lipos catch fire when being stored??? I thought the whole risk factor came in to play when over charging, or charging with too many amps, or possibly discharging too fast.

Lipos are safest at a storage charge. If the voltage drops below that there is a risk similar to overcharging. The link from notorious j is an excellent guide i have read it before.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back