Notorious Battery tray fix that using an old tire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
So I watched @bicketybam's video on how to permanently mount the tray, but needed a quicker fix than the piece of wood. I just kept looking around and it dawned on me. An old back flip tire. First you put the screws through and secure with a small locking nut, then shave off the excess screw. Take an old tire with some tread on it. I had a really good deep tread one that split at the side, but I keep the rubber around for situations just like this one. Trim it to the size of the battery tray and just lay it in, tread side down. Voila, the tread is deep enough that the nuts can never touch the battery. My 6s 5000 50c fits in with room to spare. Just make sure the tire is lined up so the nut sits between two treads and the whole thing is perfectly flat.
20190830_215220.jpg
20190830_222452.jpg
20190830_215228.jpg

That's a damn good idea.(y) I have a good bit of old tires around.

I was trying to figure something out with Corby fastners but would have to drill out the holes in the chassis and I don't want to do that.

Last edited:
I use a piece of steel now and it still get dented by the top of the nuts. Be careful with just that piece of rubber.

I also switched to the nuts @Jimbobjr used which don't have as pointy of a profile. Thanks for that suggestion ???

I also noticed while having everything apart that the screws that hold the top of the motor on have all come loose. Tightening didn't help, so there was a bit of wiggle in the motor when mounted. Piece of tire snugged it right up. Wish I had thought od this before and I might have saved some of the damage b
I use a piece of steel now and it still get dented by the top of the nuts. Be careful with just that piece of rubber.

I also switched to the nuts @Jimbobjr used which don't have as pointy of a profile. Thanks for that suggestion ???
I was thinking of that idea too, but it was late and I knew I wanted to get it done last night. The tread on that piece of tire is pretty deep plus the thickness of the tire itself should help. I'll try and watch. If there's any sign of contact with the battery, I'll switch it right away.

I blast one more off of the truck and I'm going to rivet it on. Need to remove it? Drill out the rivets. That was the idea behind the Corbys, they're used in knife making and are like a screw together rivet with one side being a threaded collar that goes through the screw hole and is held in place with a screw on the other side. Something like these. I didn't realize they were also called Chicago screws.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Chicago-Screws-Screw/dp/B073FDXM86

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back