Battery Tray Upgrade, anyone found a more reliable solution?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primarrma

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I keep destroying the little screw tabs on my battery trays, anyone found an aftermarket solution that can survive large launches? HR seem to make one, but has anyone had any experiences with them?

Thank you.
20190615_064621.jpg

I keep destroying the little screw tabs on my battery trays, anyone found an aftermarket solution that can survive large launches? HR seem to make one, but has anyone had any experiences with them?

Thank you. View attachment 40852
That sucks bro! I know it sounds crazy but I got tired of my trays ripping out as well so I use black shoegoo and put in some gobbs under the tray to seal it to the chassis. Then seal it to the side skirt.Then drop some CA glue in the screw holes then screw it in. All sounds crazy but it works! All my rigs are done like that.??

That sucks bro! I know it sounds crazy but I got tired of my trays ripping out as well so I use black shoegoo and put in some gobbs under the tray to seal it to the chassis. Then seal it to the side skirt.Then drop some CA glue in the screw holes then screw it in. All sounds crazy but it works! All my rigs are done like that.??
That's a great idea, I might try some Sicaflex it's just I can't use too much or it will never come off.

Thanks for the reply, if you recommend it I know it will work, your jumps are even more extreme so it's RC DUDE81 approved ??

I had the same issue so I used #6 3/4” wood screws. Re countersunk the wood screws and I then cut off the part of the screws that go through the battery tray. I also use a hard rubber compound under my batteries for extra security

Probably wouldn't hurt to wipe the surfaces down with DA and rough them up a bit with sand paper/emery cloth before the shoegoo. Might help it adhere better for the long term.
Great idea's thanks
Drill the holes out with a 5/32 acrylic drill bit. Then press in these inserts. They will accept the same 3mm screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W64UZPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your screws will never rip out again.
Looks good, but there isn't much meat on the plastic, it's the plastic that's breaking, not so much the screws coming out. Thank you.

Drill the holes out with a 5/32 acrylic drill bit. Then press in these inserts. They will accept the same 3mm screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W64UZPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your screws will never rip out again.

Not my thread, but thanks for this tip! It worked for me. Granted, it's only been a couple runs since, but I did take some decent jumps, including crash landings on back, and it seems solid. I used threaded inserts that came with a rivet gun from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ8ZR36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I only used the threaded inserts on the two holes that run down the center of the tray. After drilling, I used the rivet gun to put the threaded insert in from the battery tray side, with the flange part sitting in the tray, then covered it with neoprene foam. The other holes looked a little small and/or too close to the side walls of the tray to drill into. Note: while drilling it, the plastic around the holes was soft and wobbling so much i thought it would never work, but once i finished it felt stiff again.

For the remaining holes, I re-tapped them with a metric hand-tap kit from Home Depot, then added superglue to the screws.... Used threadlocker on the threaded insert screws.

We'll see how it holds up long run, short run I'm very pleased.

Not my thread, but thanks for this tip! It worked for me. Granted, it's only been a couple runs since, but I did take some decent jumps, including crash landings on back, and it seems solid. I used threaded inserts that came with a rivet gun from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ8ZR36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I only used the threaded inserts on the two holes that run down the center of the tray. After drilling, I used the rivet gun to put the threaded insert in from the battery tray side, with the flange part sitting in the tray, then covered it with neoprene foam. The other holes looked a little small and/or too close to the side walls of the tray to drill into. Note: while drilling it, the plastic around the holes was soft and wobbling so much i thought it would never work, but once i finished it felt stiff again.

For the remaining holes, I re-tapped them with a metric hand-tap kit from Home Depot, then added superglue to the screws.... Used threadlocker on the threaded insert screws.

We'll see how it holds up long run, short run I'm very pleased.
That's great thanks for the feedback, hope it holds up long term.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back