Be careful when swapping servos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I know, some of you are so stuck on terms you can't see the forest for the trees. ha ha.

Yes I know, some of you are so stuck on terms you can't see the forest for the trees. ha ha.
Words have meaning. The reason I'm pedantic is because I'm painfully aware of the shortcomings of text based communication and how quickly things get misunderstood so I try to be clear with my words. Sometimes I'm serious, sometimes I'm playful. It wasn't an attack on you. It was a joke. You have to remember where you are here. You're surrounded by grown ups that play with oversized toys. I'm still a child at heart. That being said, I'm all too aware of the forest. And the trees. And falling leaves. And the bugs that live on them.

About 5+ years ago Arrma and Axial RTR radios were Tactic TTX300's. They came with Antennaless Rx's. Actually there is an antenna inside. Always. Just not externally.
They had poor/less range IMHO. Maybe good for an acre of fields if that. Signal would drop and you would just walk closer to the rig and gain control again. Those were the days.... Despite being dependable radios otherwise.. Jennys had them for $30.00 also. People were still buying them from Jennys for their new Arrma rigs because when Arrma Changed over to the early crap Spektrum Radios, they had very poor Frame rates and very poor responding, extreme lagging response. Couldnt even drive the dam rig. Felt like a Toys R US toy RC. Despite having external antennas on the new Rx's.
Think Spektrum STX2's.(n):mad:
Took HH/Arrma and Spektrum a few years to straighten out that mess with their Crappy RTR radios. Thank god that got all sorted out.
RTR radios suck for the most part IMHO. Featureless.
Even an inexpensive Multimodel Rc6 or Rc4 Gs is leaps and bounds way better for range and faster frame rates.
I only run some of these cheap RTR radios for my slow Crawlers. Because I get them all muddy and wet in blizzards and rain, hiking etc. And don't care if they get ruined. And I don't require long range distances with my Crawlers. 30 feet at most when hiking.

Last edited:
Unless im missing something swapping antenas isnt doable. The antena is soldered to the board but worse than that is it looks like there is some sort of silicone glueing it in place

View attachment 256418
Is the little silver thing just to the right of the red stuff a receiver plug for an ipeg(?) antenna?

would a ANTENNAless :ROFLMAO: reciever work well in an enclosed waterproof box like the stock one come in?
I have a couple receivers that don't have external antennas- fgr4s- so yes, although they don't have the best range. Not compatible w/ your system either I don't think

would a ANTENNAless :ROFLMAO: reciever work well in an enclosed waterproof box like the stock one come in?
That probably depends on how you define "well". It will work, yes. But, as @SrC has been explaining, the range on antenna less receivers is notably shorter than it is on ones with an external antenna. The antenna less receivers are designed for track use where you're rarely more than 100ft from your vehicle. It's certainly not something I'd use for speed running.

Antennaless Rx + Speedrunning = $Carnage$ every time.:ROFLMAO:
Dual external Antenna Rx's...the only way it's done. RL R7FG (y) Or most any brand Radio. Futaba etc.
Been there.
Always do a range test first with any new radio or a new different place you speed run or even bash. Intereference from dirty EMF can interfere with reception sometimes.
Another topic altogether.

Last edited:
i might have to email arrma about this to ask just to verify. maybe i can prod around with a multimeter and test continuity
Is the little silver thing just to the right of the red stuff a receiver plug for an ipeg(?) antenna?

IPEX. Yeah, it might be actually. Good eye good sir :)
i might have to email arrma and ask to verify, although you guys probably know more than them. might go poking around with the DMM for continuity so see if they are connected. question is would it be ipex or ipex 4? one is smaller than the other as it seems.

i might have to email arrma about this to ask just to verify. maybe i can prod around with a multimeter and test continuity

i might have to email arrma and ask to verify, although you guys probably know more than them. might go poking around with the DMM for continuity so see if they are connected. question is would it be ipex or ipex 4? one is smaller than the other as it seems.
It's an IPEX13 connector.

Edit: But they're often just referred to as IPEX in listings on Ebay and elsewhere.

question is if i go this route what to do with the old bit of the antenna? just shove it inside the box? theres not much left so that easily doable. should i cut it as short as possible? every antenna i see comes off the board at a 90 degree angle so ill probably just drill another hole in the case and run it straight out the side

You mean this??? HMM. Hard to say from the pix. Some Rx and Tx PCB's do have a spare available port.......not sure what that is. Looks like a Reset button of some sort??? IDK. :unsure:
1668532145443.jpeg

would a ANTENNAless :ROFLMAO: receiver work well in an enclosed waterproof box like the stock one come in?
A plastic Rx box doesn's affect the signal for the most part or at all.
Plastic is invisible to Wifi 2.4 ghz frequency signals. What RC radios are run on.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back