Be carful with ur lipos on this summer heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
I was out running my notorious today at the end of the day. Running my 2 years old hrbs. Doing some high speed on short grass jumping off hills and all that did take a few breaks to let it cooldown a bit. Then i hit LVC motor was a bit too hot to touch wires were warm but not like hot hot. Then i took the batts out and oh boy i couldnt hold them more than 5 secs before getting uncomfortably hot myself. My baterries swelled up slightly. Left them to cooldown and the puffing vanished. Back home once fully cold they were at 15% each internal resistence the highest was mid 7milliohm (idk the exact measure). My new local brand lipos have more resistance than my old 2 year old hrbs in comparaison and last less than them. So guys becarful with summer heat. Anything that gets hot cannot dissipate the heat quick. Those hrbs have been so reliable. Until this happened.

Gearing on my noto is stock everything but 14T pinion

Thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna run my Noto6s off the ramp today, so I'll watch the batt temps too. ✌️

In the summer I can only run in the early morning, and even then fans have a hard time keeping things cool. Always good to keep an eye on those temps in the heat. (y)

Honestly, electric R/C has been a nightmare for me during the summer. It was great over the winter, but now push it even slightly hard and things overheat, which in the case of LiPo batteries is a significant safety risk as well as being damaging to the cells. Mine are still at 2-3mΩ/cell so they shouldn't have enough resistance to overheat at typical R/C current draw, but thanks to the ambient heat they do. Had to upgrade the fans on ESC and motor to be able to get through a whole pack without thermal shutdown or the motor pushing past 150℉, now can't keep a fan going for more than a couple packs. Geared down, still sucks. Maybe going higher voltage, lower current is the answer, but expensive.

Nitro was more fun and less frustrating for summer bashing. With these electrics I have to go out in the early morning or late evening or it's just not worthwhile trying.

Crazy.. I live in fl, and have not had any heat issues!!!? 🤯
Had the kexb out the other day around 4:00 and I know it had to be 96 or better with an index of like 103.. ran a calm, collected 156° with no fan on the motor and a 16t pinion!?
I run my senton with a dust cover on a 26t pinion and still no issues, does have a 40mm rocket fan on the motor though!!
No issues with the felony either, 50mm rocket fan on the motor!!
Crazy how different scenarios or situations are!? 😳

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back