Bearing Lubrication oil/grease and seal removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbuzz

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Senton 3s
Question, could someone post a video of removing the rubber seals and metal shields on bearings without destroying them? I use a hobby knife but still seem to mangle them or break the tip of the knife.

The ones I have gotten apart I have been cleaning with wd40 and repacking with the grease pictured. They seem to be much better than stock.

The next issue is an odd one, I really like the super lube iso100 oil, however, I hesitate to use it on bearings anymore because the bearing becomes very loud after the oil is applied... anyone experience this? Any better alternative if your not wanting to use grease (for higher speed applications). I have tried the superlube iso68 as well, same result.

Thanks!

20211107_174845.jpg

20211107_174806.jpg

Last edited:
Metal shields, good luck, I gave up on those.
Rubber seals are easy and plenty of videos on Youtube.

Tip: Have some spare bearings on hand, you will still mess one up
Tip#2: Buy new bearings, the effort and cost of cleaning is about equal to new ones. Maybe slightly less if you do not add your labor.

Thanks! I agree and have some bearings on hand but I seem to have good luck when I repack them too. I think the extra grease I put into them helps keep dirt out. The videos with the larger bearings is almost like cheating haha. I saw the Boca bearing video but the quality was so low its hard to see and it seems if you pull from the outer edge you will have better luck... Just thought if someone on the forum had it "down" for smaller bearings please share 😀

I do mine from the inner side, had good luck.
I just use an excator blade, didn't dull it down or do anything fancy with it. Just careful to not break the tip.
It's pretty easy after you do 2 or 3.
Do not use WD40, it leaves a nasty film that is hard to remove and will destroy your bearings over time.
I use thin oil and standard chassis grease, again nothing fancy.
Any degreaser will work but soak them well and blow them out with air.

I do mine from the inner side, had good luck.
I just use an excator blade, didn't dull it down or do anything fancy with it. Just careful to not break the tip.
It's pretty easy after you do 2 or 3.
Do not use WD40, it leaves a nasty film that is hard to remove and will destroy your bearings over time.
I use thin oil and standard chassis grease, again nothing fancy.
Any degreaser will work but soak them well and blow them out with air.
^^^This.
use the exacto knife and lift the seal at the inner race like @ jkflow stated. Some BB's are just harder to work with. If you slightly bend a seal it can be carefully straightened. If the seal is beyond use, one of them, repack with grease and place the open side, unsealed side,of the BB into the unexposed part.
A hub for instance, sealed side facing out. I have no issues using SL oil. But for my on road Lim and Infr.
Grease is best for off road use. A noisey BB is usually not clean enough , or just worn out.
I use an Ultrasonic cleaner to clean my BB's. Yeah WD40 is NG. For the reasons stated above. WD is a solvent and breaks down grease. Even slight amount remaining. WD40 will get gummy at some point. Has no lubricating properties.
I use brake cleaner spray or any evaporating solvent. Or a degreaser in the Ultrasonic cleaner in heat cycle. Do a rinse cycle, then blow dry well and lube.

I just buy new ones 20 pounds for a full set don't have the time to regrease them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back