Bearing maintenance on my Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepaw18

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
I'm just curious on what to do with the bearings on my ride. I hear a lot of people that just replace when needed. But I'm good with doing some PM work to make parts last longer. I'm not a crazy thrill seeker with mine. Since still new to the hobby. On the rubber sealed bearings. Would it be better to take apart and clean and pack with grease. I'm just bashing and playing around with mine. Or should I clean and use oil. Also what do you prefer and what type of grease or oil do you use. Also what a good cleaner for parts. Thanks for any insight.

Typically pack with grease for offroad bashing. Here's a great video that helped me figure out how to get my bearings clean:

I use Superlube synthetic grease in my bearings, works great! First thing, hold the bearing in the center and see how much play it has. If you do a couple you will notice the difference and know which ones to toss.

Hardest part for me is getting the small seals off, most people use a hobbyknife. Careful not to cut yourself or the seal. I fill about 30-40% with grease.

Re-did our Granite and replaced several bad bearings and cleaned and lubed the good ones, one of the most solid rigs in the fleet now!

I use Superlube synthetic grease in my bearings, works great! First thing, hold the bearing in the center and see how much play it has. If you do a couple you will notice the difference and know which ones to toss.

Hardest part for me is getting the small seals off, most people use a hobbyknife. Careful not to cut yourself or the seal. I fill about 30-40% with grease.

Re-did our Granite and replaced several bad bearings and cleaned and lubed the good ones, one of the most solid rigs in the fleet now!
Good to know I have some Marine grease I was thinking of using. Should work good I would think. What do you clean the bearings with? By lubed to you mean grease for lube. Just curious!!

Good to know I have some Marine grease I was thinking of using. Should work good I would think. What do you clean the bearings with? By lubed to you mean grease for lube. Just curious!!
Hehe yes, that marine grease might be a bit on the thick/sticky side. I really like the Superlube as it has a pretty light viscosity and is not very sticky. Should be able to use any old degreaser on the bearings after you get the seals off.

Some people use ultrasonic cleaners, sounds like it works well.

Hehe yes, that marine grease might be a bit on the thick/sticky side. I really like the Superlube as it has a pretty light viscosity and is not very sticky. Should be able to use any old degreaser on the bearings after you get the seals off.

Some people use ultrasonic cleaners, sounds like it works well.
Appreciate the info. Wasn't really thinking about the stickiness of the Marine grease.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back