Bearing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoscato

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction 4x4
Is there any benefit to running metal over a rubber seal when buying bearing kits? I usually just purchase bearings with rubber seals unless it was on a nitro engine where I'd choose metal seals.

Also, is there any situation on the 3S Vendetta or Infraction where you would choose ceramic over steel?

Is there any benefit to running metal over a rubber seal when buying bearing kits? I usually just purchase bearings with rubber seals unless it was on a nitro engine where I'd choose metal seals.

Also, is there any situation on the 3S Vendetta or Infraction where you would choose ceramic over steel?
Yea if your speed running ceramic is where its at, they require more maintenance.. same goes for the metal shielded, hard to keep them clean and they run hot!? Ceramic is better for like 100+ mph rigs to get any real benefit from them!! 😎

I only run ceramic on my speed run cars. And the only place I use them is on the spool. They can’t handle the abuse so they actually aren’t the best for speed running. Your money will be best spent elsewhere. Just get aftermarket bearings from Avid, Jim’s, TRB, etc and you’ll be happy.

I only run ceramic on my speed run cars. And the only place I use them is on the spool. They can’t handle the abuse so they actually aren’t the best for speed running. Your money will be best spent elsewhere. Just get aftermarket bearings from Avid, Jim’s, TRB, etc and you’ll be happy.
Really.. I was under the assumption that, thats where they work best!? Makes sense though!! 🤔

Really.. I was under the assumption that, thats where they work best!? Makes sense though!! 🤔
That’s what I thought at first. Then I started asking around and some of the usual suspects around here told me otherwise. For example. Input bearings are replaced constantly. You really aren’t gaining much by using ceramic there so it’s better to spend $2 on a new bearing. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Not a huge difference between rubber and metal shielded bearings. Rubber seals better but with slight more drag. Vice versa for metal shielded units. If you’re running in dirt, stay away away from ceramic in the drivetrain. I run Boca ceramic only in my nitro engines.

Not a huge difference between rubber and metal shielded bearings. Rubber seals better but with slight more drag. Vice versa for metal shielded units. If you’re running in dirt, stay away away from ceramic in the drivetrain. I run Boca ceramic only in my nitro engines.
Good point. Ceramics are also good for brushless also. Forgot about that.

I have (hybrid) ceramics in my motors 👌, rubber sealed bearings in the rest of the cars. Rubber sealed is better to keep dirt out (normal bearings usually lasted one or two runs🙄). I ran normal bearings (less friction than rubber sealed) in the ‘protected areas’ like inside the diff housings, but now I buy rubber sealed bearings in bulk and use them everywhere.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back