Bearings mayhem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.. After test fitting 1 of my front CVD's in the rear of my V3 Typhon.. All seemed to fit well, even with the stock diff outdrive cups..

And so i went to order a set of front CVD's and the really needed bearings..

All the stuff came in the past week..

20190816_163741.jpg

This is how she sits now.. By the looks of it, there isnt goin to be any binding in the stock cups.. But that bein said: With the weather not bein all that great, i haven't driven the buggy yet..

Keep us posted

Will do! The new location i run started all this..

After not havin new spare bearings left.. I threw in the 2 best stock ones i had still lyin around.. Back at the location.. It only took 2 packs to have them completely seized up..

Will be running it on that location soon.. And will get into the hubs after that run.. To see whats it like with the new setup..

So, in between showers the sun came out for couple of hours..

Charged two packs.. And went for my fine sand location.. Due to still bein a little damp, the sand wasnt as fine as it normally is..

This is how the rear ended up after just the two packs..

20190818_150520.jpg

20190818_150510_HDR.jpg

20190818_150504_HDR.jpg

In the old setup; Stock, with dogbones.. There prob was at least some sand that made its way into the hubs..

With those front CVD's installed.. This is how the inside of the hubs looked..

20190818_155130.jpg

I also inspected the dogbone side of the driveshaft.. Cause im still running this setup with the stock diff outdrive cups.. And compared them with the stock dogbones in terms of wear.. And theres nothing to it.. They both look the same..

So, yes!! For me this new setup works like a charm!

So looks like the Durango diff cups might not of been needed?!
It depends on the lentgth of the cvd's. There are 2 versions. Arrma made them a tad longer because they were popping of. So first test to see if the cvd's have no binding. If no you're good to go if yes get the td cups.

Charged two packs.. And went for my fine sand location.. Due to still bein a little damp, the sand wasnt as fine as it normally is..

View attachment 45961

View attachment 45959

View attachment 45960

In the old setup; Stock, with dogbones.. There prob was at least some sand that made its way into the hubs..

View attachment 45963

I also inspected the dogbone side of the driveshaft.. Cause im still running this setup with the stock diff outdrive cups.. And compared them with the stock dogbones in terms of wear.. And theres nothing to it.. They both look the same..

Nice, glad it helped, you'll be driving much more now! And you got some cleaning to do.....brrrr what a mess.
You might wanna get some mud guards!

These work really good:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332191166343

Last edited:
It aint that bad.. Its just wet really fine (beach like) sand.. It dries quickly.. Once dried.. I drop the buggy a couple of times.. Most of it falls right off.. The rest blows away with compressed air in seconds..

POS has just finished R&D for a set that fits the Typhon.. Goin to ask my LHS to order me a set with his next order..
IMG_20190818_225143.jpg

View attachment 45963

I just sold my eBuggy, and now I'm in the market for a new one. I run my RCs in very dusty conditions. Being able to use the Typhon's front CV shafts on the rear will be the decision maker for me. I was so ready to pull the trigger on the Typhon until I came across this thread. :rolleyes:

I just sold my eBuggy, and now I'm in the market for a new one. I run my RCs in very dusty conditions. Being able to use the Typhon's front CV shafts on the rear will be the decision maker for me. I was so ready to pull the trigger on the Typhon until I came across this thread. :rolleyes:

Best case you just need a set of the front CVD’s worse case you’ll need some Durango drive cups, not a huge issue ??

Well your future problem is already solved!
And if i may suggest if you drive a lot in very dusty conditions like me the rear alu HotRacing hubs also help a lot because they have much lager bearings. I know they are pricy but definetly worth it.

So far, i haven't got any problems.. That bein said.. It might differ between versions.. Some guys needed the Team Durango diff outdrive cups to solve a binding problem.. Others, like me, didnt encounter the binding problem

View attachment 45961

View attachment 45959

View attachment 45960

View attachment 45963

dude, you need mudguards

Curious after 3-4 years is this still a problem with 6S rigs or did Arrma fix the design?

Curious after 3-4 years is this still a problem with 6S rigs or did Arrma fix the design?
Yes it is still a problem and no Arrma did not fix anything.

After seeing this thread it does make me wonder.. That is a horrible design flaw...

I was hoping to do this mod but can confirm it does not work for a current 6S Typhon diff. Just got the TD outdrives from Germany but the hole that accepts the pin inside the diff is not spaced the same as the standard Arrma part. The pin can't push through when the o-ring and shim are in place. About 0.5-0.75mm short of where it needs to be. Anyone think trying to drill them out to extend the hole would compromise the integrity of the outdrive? Can't find any reference to this TD part changing over time but perhaps the Arrma parts have.

Managed to order a whole TD diff set (TD210042) so will see if that fits the Typhon V5

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back