Senton Bearings Rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptsWolfman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
I have to really say that the stock bearings in these Arrma vehicles are just really, really bad. I love these trucks to bits but it has become obvious that almost as something you need to do before running even for the first time is swap out to sealed bearings.
I ran my Senton BLX on 2S for a day out in a dirt area and everything was fine. I got in some 3S packs and went for a run and the two bearings inside the transmission (so the 2 on the spur/slipper shaft) EXPLODED.
I don't mean they just fell apart... I mean I had bits of bearings here and there and (worse) tiny little ball bearings everywhere.... Including (and this was bad) wedged into the metal teeth of the spur gear.
This caused extreme wobble and rough spinning. I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully I had some bearings left over from a different project and I was able to swap them out. Between that and having to use an awl to pick out the ball bearings from the teeth, the truck is running fine again but I honestly don't think that is something that should have happened in the first place.
For the few cents it would cost Arrma, I really wish they'd give proper bearings to begin with.

/end rant

I swapped a little more than half of the bearings on my Senton today so I feel your pain. Same one exploded on mine. I caught it before bigger carnage. Everything is built to a price point today and 2 cents a bearing with 20+ per vehicle the numbers add up. I’d rather have paid $5 more and not had to fiddle with it yet though ?

Last edited:
This is a major pet peeve for me, who wants to tear down a brand new rig every time you buy a Arrma, not me!

I equate it to a 50/50 chance that you’ll have a stock bearing failure. Out of lazynesss I havnt done my granite yet. Ran that and the senton in they same wet environment. Tell me how the fast Eddy’s in the senton seized up and the granite just laughed at the senton and kept on spinning.

I will say though that the slipper and driveline bearings in my K4s were good for many months but laziness got me there too when the input bearing started to let go. Bye bye diff. Needless to say, I went ahead and did the rest of the swap after that.

I get that you want it to be 100% out of the box and to most just getting into the hobby they are close to that. I didn’t mind spending the extra $27 and having the learning experience when first tearing down a rig. Plus now these are serviceable and can be fixed if they do not explode on you.

Same thing here; brand new Typhon 3S with melted bearings (After a dozen of runs). Ordered some Fast Eddy's replacements.

Maybe it is some "super brain" level strategy. Arrma wants us to be able to maintain our vehicles, they want us to build that bond you only get through bloody knuckles and greasy fingers. They know if we are formed in the crucible we will buy again.

Or maybe I'm just being obtuse.

Last edited:
Maybe it is some "super brain" level strategy. Arrma wants us to be able to maintain our vehicles, they want us to build that bond you only get through bloody knuckles and greasy fingers. They know if we are formed in the crucible we will buy again.

Or maybe I'm just being obtuse.

Definitely obtuse.?

...its been at least 20 years since I have watched Shawshank... guess I have to refresh my memory on my next flight.

I've had several bearings lock up on me, but none have exploded yet. I ran my truck in wet conditions several times before I realized the bearings were not rubber sealed though. I just assumed they would be on a truck that has waterproof electronics.

I've had several bearings lock up on me, but none have exploded yet. I ran my truck in wet conditions several times before I realized the bearings were not rubber sealed though. I just assumed they would be on a truck that has waterproof electronics.
Well, this is what was left of my bearing after only a couple runs. Not wet, slightly dusty environment but nothing too bad.
Spur gear/slipper bearing, so far the others are holding up ok -- though I haven't taken my Senton into the mud yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_181058.jpg
    IMG_20200612_181058.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 53
It's not a must to replace the stock bearings. I ran all of mine until i needed to maintenance the diffs at 20+ packs and replaced them as part of that maintenance. At that point none had failed. I'm currently running the Infraction on stock bearings (and bushings ?) and have 10+ packs through it...no issues. I have a fast eddy bearing kit waiting for when i change the diff oil on the Infraction. Do what you want but it's not a must if you just want to bash before tearing down your rig. My $0.02.

I have to really say that the stock bearings in these Arrma vehicles are just really, really bad. I love these trucks to bits but it has become obvious that almost as something you need to do before running even for the first time is swap out to sealed bearings.
I ran my Senton BLX on 2S for a day out in a dirt area and everything was fine. I got in some 3S packs and went for a run and the two bearings inside the transmission (so the 2 on the spur/slipper shaft) EXPLODED.
I don't mean they just fell apart... I mean I had bits of bearings here and there and (worse) tiny little ball bearings everywhere.... Including (and this was bad) wedged into the metal teeth of the spur gear.
This caused extreme wobble and rough spinning. I couldn't believe it.
Thankfully I had some bearings left over from a different project and I was able to swap them out. Between that and having to use an awl to pick out the ball bearings from the teeth, the truck is running fine again but I honestly don't think that is something that should have happened in the first place.
For the few cents it would cost Arrma, I really wish they'd give proper bearings to begin with.

/end rant
I’ve had my Typhon 3s for 2 months haven’t had a problem with any bearings. Got a full set of Plaig bearings for the whole car in the next few weeks will be replaced as well as my diff oil. I really give my Arrma a hard time to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back