Kraton BEC at 8.4 safe for stock electronics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
Good afternoon hope y’all having a blessed weekend!!

I’ve heard some mentioning upping the BEC to 8.4
I don’t know how the BEC works
I think this is for more power to fans and servo?

Was wondering if it’s safe to do this with the stock electronics on the Kraton and Outcast 8s

And if you guys recommend this

TIA

Good afternoon hope y’all having a blessed weekend!!

I’ve heard some mentioning upping the BEC to 8.4
I don’t know how the BEC works
I think this is for more power to fans and servo?

Was wondering if it’s safe to do this with the stock electronics on the Kraton and Outcast 8s

And if you guys recommend this

TIA

Hello....hope you had a blessed weekend as well!!

I am no pro at this but my $0.02 I know before the vet chimes in.... If your ESC can go up to 8.4v and your servo has a rating/spec to handle 8.4v yes you can up it. Some servos do not have an 8.4v option and some ESC do not as well. If both are available yes you can. BEC would be for your servo power.

Yes, it is safe for stock electronics. For example, my Spektrum Firma 160A ESC has an 8.4v BEC option. I have a servo that can handle 8.4v so there is no issue if the stock ESC has that option.

My recommendation is to see what works for the usage case for the RC. On my Infraction, I found that at 8.4v it moved the wheels too fast so I slowed it down to a lower BEC. Kraton 6S EXB for those big wheels I needed to up the ESC BEC and have a servo strong enough to work at the higher voltage.

Hello....hope you had a blessed weekend as well!!

I am no pro at this but my $0.02 I know before the vet chimes in.... If your ESC can go up to 8.4v and your servo has a rating/spec to handle 8.4v yes you can up it. Some servos do not have an 8.4v option and some ESC do not as well. If both are available yes you can. BEC would be for your servo power.

Yes, it is safe for stock electronics. For example, my Spektrum Firma 160A ESC has an 8.4v BEC option. I have a servo that can handle 8.4v so there is no issue if the stock ESC has that option.

My recommendation is to see what works for the usage case for the RC. On my Infraction, I found that at 8.4v it moved the wheels too fast so I slowed it down to a lower BEC. Kraton 6S EXB for those big wheels I needed to up the ESC BEC and have a servo strong enough to work at the higher voltage.
Thank you sir!

I believe the Spektrum Servo is 8.4
I’ll have to double check

Thank you sir!

I believe the Spektrum Servo is 8.4
I’ll have to double check
Welcome...

If it is not...even if you set the ESC BEC to 8.4v the servo will pull only as much as it can take. So if ESC BEC is 8.4v and the servo is a 6v or a 7.4v that is all it can pull. Servo pulls what it needs the BEC is not pushing anything to the servo.

Welcome...

If it is not...even if you set the ESC BEC to 8.4v the servo will pull only as much as it can take. So if ESC BEC is 8.4v and the servo is a 6v or a 7.4v that is all it can pull. Servo pulls what it needs the BEC is not pushing anything to the servo.
Doesn't this go for Amp draw? Pretty sure overvolting a servo will blow it up instantly.

Doesn't this go for Amp draw? Pretty sure overvolting a servo will blow it up instantly.

I am not an expert and am open to correction. I still stand/believe the servo will only draw what it needs even if you have the ESC BEC at 8.4....so if it is a 6v servo (with a BEC at 8.4) it will only take what it needs for AMP draw and not more since the ESC BEC does not push anything...

Also remember how current works, you don't give the servo 5A, it draws what it needs. Just as you can't push water uphill without a pump, you don't stuff current into the servo, the servo sucks what it needs from the source.

I am not an expert and am open to correction. I still stand/believe the servo will only draw what it needs even if you have the ESC BEC at 8.4....so if it is a 6v servo (with a BEC at 8.4) it will only take what it needs for AMP draw and not more since the ESC BEC does not push anything...

Also remember how current works, you don't give the servo 5A, it draws what it needs. Just as you can't push water uphill without a pump, you don't stuff current into the servo, the servo sucks what it needs from the source.
That's what i meant. Amperage is drawn, not pushed. Maximum voltage is dictated by the specs of the circuit board in the servo and specified in the spec sheet. Trying to connect a 6v max servo to 8v, will end up in a fried servo.

That's what i meant. Amperage is drawn, not pushed. Maximum voltage is dictated by the specs of the circuit board in the servo and specified in the spec sheet. Trying to connect a 6v max servo to 8v, will end up in a fried servo.
I concur

Also, be sure your receiver is capable of a higher BEC voltage, for example the SLT300/315 can handle 3.5-9.6v.

Rumor has it the stock 8S servo is quite spicy at 8.4v BEC :LOL:

Also, be sure your receiver is capable of a higher BEC voltage, for example the SLT300/315 can handle 3.5-9.6v.

Rumor has it the stock 8S servo is quite spicy at 8.4v BEC :LOL:
Thanks!

I’m trying to find out if the stock servo (s905) is ok to run at 8.4

These are the specs I can find

494960CD-BC24-4FD5-A3FD-1FE310D11843.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back