BEC or separate battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisexv6

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Looking to improve cooling on our Kraton....I picked up some 12V Delta fans. They run OK at 6V, but much better at 12V. They seem very similar to the NTF stuff.

I know the NTFs are preferred to run on a separate lipo, but would there be any harm in using a separate BEC instead? I figured I would solder up a pass-through from the battery to ESC (XT90 male/female), then tap off that as input to the BEC. Output from the BEC would be 12V and feed a splitter for the fans.

The only question is how to switch them on and off. I know I could wire in a manual switch, but wheres the fun in that? :) Are there BECs that have some sort of trigger input (like a relay)? So you could wire it to the receiver (or existing BEC) so when it gets power it triggers the external BEC to come on.

Maybe completely overkill, or unreliable, or both....but just a brainstorm I had.

-Chris

To m
Looking to improve cooling on our Kraton....I picked up some 12V Delta fans. They run OK at 6V, but much better at 12V. They seem very similar to the NTF stuff.

I know the NTFs are preferred to run on a separate lipo, but would there be any harm in using a separate BEC instead? I figured I would solder up a pass-through from the battery to ESC (XT90 male/female), then tap off that as input to the BEC. Output from the BEC would be 12V and feed a splitter for the fans.

The only question is how to switch them on and off. I know I could wire in a manual switch, but wheres the fun in that? :) Are there BECs that have some sort of trigger input (like a relay)? So you could wire it to the receiver (or existing BEC) so when it gets power it triggers the external BEC to come on.

Maybe completely overkill, or unreliable, or both....but just a brainstorm I had.

-Chris
To me a BEC is a far more sustainable solution than an extra lipo you have to fit in somewhere and charge seperately.
Solder it to your ESC and the fans will go on when you connect your lipo's.
You can't use the receiver to power it on because the voltage is too high so you would have to use a fixed on/off switch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back