Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just remembered I have a friend with an extra wraith. It's like an axial capra, but slightly bigger. He might be able to make a screaming deal for ya. I'll check with him.

I just remembered I have a friend with an extra wraith. It's like an axial capra, but slightly bigger. He might be able to make a screaming deal for ya. I'll check with him.
Ya let me know there's one in classifieds but I don't want to pay $300 for a discontinued older rig with no warranty etc. and think they were what like $350 new also so $300 seems steep to me🤷

Ya let me know there's one in classifieds but I don't want to pay $300 for a discontinued older rig with no warranty etc. and think they were what like $350 new also so $300 seems steep to me🤷
I'll get a price for you on the wraith tomorrow (buddy works early, so I don't want to bug him).

It's kinda weird how much crawlers hold their value. I keep expecting to gobble up a bargain trx4, but the only things I find for really good prices are redcats, which amazes me considering how easy it is to mod them into serious crawlers. I think most folks consider them intro level and don't think they're worth it.

I got nothing against element either, just haven't owned one yet.

Now I'm tempted to build up a sleeper redcat just to mess with trx and element dudes...

If I was in the market I’d get the new element enduro ecto. Probably the most capable rtr out right now👍🏻👍🏻
That's next on my shopping list, thinking about making a vintage looking tow truck crawler. :)

I still want to build a 1/10 skidder- something like a tigercat

Heavy equip. is cool! would be a neat project. My Grandpa used to work for Bechtel and sold heavy equip. and cranes.

That's next on my shopping list, thinking about making a vintage looking tow truck crawler. :)
That would be sweet. Fun fact: I live really close to the National Tow Truck Museum. First ever documented tow truck was made here in Chattanooga TN. (Rednecks had to have been the rednecks 🤣🤣👍) Alot of the Alaskan tow trucks are made just right down the road.

These SCX 10.2's are still around and a good deal. With lighting. I find the Short Wheelbase and the departure and entry angles very good for the rocks. I have broken zero parts on mine. Just upgraded here and there. But not necessary. I driven through streams, Blizzard snow storms , rain, hiked for miles and miles with this. Most trouble free RC I own. And Axial transmissions are among the best. Especially if you use Vanquish Products gears when the need to upgrade. My TRX 4 sport is also fine, except the trans is not as refined. There is slop at the portals and into Trans drivetrain. The chassis and body is longer so entry and exit angles suffer compared to the Trail Honcho. Portals don't really have any advantage that I notice. If anything the center of gravity is def higher because of the portal. The turning radius on the TRX4 Sport is larger than the Axial TH. That is very important among Crawlers. Smaller radious is always better.
https://www.amazon.com/Axial-Honcho...ae852&pd_rd_wg=t8zLK&pd_rd_i=B078T2NF98&psc=1
I have a few
Vanquish vs410 pro
Vanquish vs410 ultra
Axial scx10 III jeep

I love building them. But for me super boring to drive.
this is my vanquish 410 ultra build with portals.
the quality of the vanquish stuff is top notch. View attachment 165533View attachment 165534
VS410 is second to none.(y)(y):cool: don't get any better.

Last edited:
Redcat gen8 can sometimes be found locally for 300$ but they up the price to 330$ online. Its a good model, I have 2 of them, the standard one and the axe. About as good as it gets for the money. Trx4 sport kit is 330$ as well and is about the nicest kit I've ever built. My trx4 sport will crawl all over the place with the battery mounted up front and a little weight in the front tires. If you get a kit and need an esc and motor lmk and ill send you something to get you going.
Another option is the rgt crawlers from Banggood, not bad at all for the money. The ones with the front mounted motor are better than the cheaper ones. The RGT EX86010 CJ would be around the 300$ range. don't let anyone say theyre junk. Those models are made pretty well and perform great...

When I wanted to try crawling I built a custom rig using an injora chassis. It's about $130 Canadian but needs body, radio, esc, and servo.
Screenshot_2021-08-24-20-46-49-952_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

It's been a very fun and dependable set up. Only upgrades I did was add metal rims and moved the servo to the axle. The hard body was very heavy so it needed the extra weight.

Video driving up patio stones

Video driving over logs.
I was driving it one handed in these video's so it's not the most controlled run.

Last edited:
I bought a SCX10-3 in the first lockdown last year, really enjoyed building it but have only used it once since..!!
Can't comment on what's good or bad brand wise as I've only ever owned this one, originally did some research about crawlers and most people said get a TRX4 or Enduro, but all I knew was I wanted a kit to build so the SCX10-3 was the winner..
Fitted Holmes Hobbies motor and HW1080 esc, 2 speed with dig (2 extra servos) great fun but so boring 😉🤣
Mine is all stock still, I've found it hard not to go mad with upgrades..!!

The only thing I can tell you is...
1) SCX10-3 is top heavy.
2) Crawling could be lots of fun if you have the terrain.
3) I still look at crawlers to buy 🤣

One of my best painted bodies, love all the details inside and out..!!
Few pics to tease you with 😎👍🏼

IMG_6134.jpeg
IMG_6160.jpeg
IMG_6117 copy.jpeg
IMG_7777.jpeg

I bought a SCX10-3 in the first lockdown last year, really enjoyed building it but have only used it once since..!!
Can't comment on what's good or bad brand wise as I've only ever owned this one, originally did some research about crawlers and most people said get a TRX4 or Enduro, but all I knew was I wanted a kit to build so the SCX10-3 was the winner..
Fitted Holmes Hobbies motor and HW1080 esc, 2 speed with dig (2 extra servos) great fun but so boring 😉🤣
Mine is all stock still, I've found it hard not to go mad with upgrades..!!

The only thing I can tell you is...
1) SCX10-3 is top heavy.
2) Crawling could be lots of fun if you have the terrain.
3) I still look at crawlers to buy 🤣

One of my best painted bodies, love all the details inside and out..!!
Few pics to tease you with 😎👍🏼

View attachment 165722View attachment 165723View attachment 165721View attachment 165724
Unfortunately, the body is what makes it top heavy. The Scale is dead on and sweet just not for comp or the technical stuff/rock climbing..
The 10.3 chassis is superb and well balanced.. Comp ready with a better lighter LCG body...IMHO.

Great discussion guys. I to am in the market for a scaler. Right now I'm trying to choose between the trx4 kit and the Element gatekeeper kit. Hopefully there will be some sales or discounts for Labor Day next month that might help me pick.

The TRX-4 seems to be a staple item at this point.(y) Serves many well.
The Assoc. Element appears to have lost much of its steam since its much hyped introduction. There are many reasons for this if you search around and watch the pro scale builders.
Axial for me. I prefer G6 workable platforms. For me that is where Crawlers should be at.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/324418-g6-rules.html

edit: If considering the TRX4, I would only get a Sport or basic roller. (No unlockable diffs). The 2 speed add on is just fluff. What I added to my Sport roller. Rather have the lower Transmission gearing of the single speed setup.
Overdrive/underdrive is not appealing to me. It can really tax the drivetrain and tires and very bad for basic Trail hiking.
But any comp crawler is worthy of a Dig unit for sure IMHO.

Last edited:
TRX4 Sport for sure. 2 Speed transmission is neat for walking from the car to the trailhead, but that's it imo.

Bonus upgrades for down the line including:
-Unlockable axles for a tighter turning radius.
-A dig unit (3 position, full front and rear if you are going full potato).
-Front overdrive if you are going full rock climber, or hardly do trails
-Other options to drop CG, better tires, (although once deknobbed and sized, the stock tires are really good), togglable rock lights, etc. So much of these trucks, regardless of what you start with, is tuning to how you like to drive through shock tweaks, CG changes, tire choices, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back