Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are parts availability?
Are generic SCX10 upgrade parts all interchangeable with this RGT?
From looking there is great parts availability especially from Banggood which yes sucks for the wait but also good price and lots or choices. From reviews a lot of guys say its identical to the FTX fury I want to say so I'd guess it would be interchangeable with those parts but not sure on the scx10.
I'd have to agree here's the FTX fury outback and it is literally like identical. So not sure if anyone's familiar with the FTX platform but almost wouldn't be surprised if it's the same exact rig from same factory under a different brand name
Screenshot_20210828-103145.png

Last edited:
Ya I'm about to find out lol. And from a basher and speed runner to now crawling. I've messed around a small bit with my older brushed trucks but again they are made for bashing so not the best but still had a blast so now with a rig made to do that I think I'm going to really enjoy it. Ya I watch some KT but I found video on this brand searching YouTube and he was one of the vids. I watched as he is pretty up front and harder on rigs so figured if it did well for him it should be a decent rig for sure. But he did a video on the V1 of it and then the pro version where this is in between those versions, not as nice as the pro kit but better than the V1. And yes of course it's getting an official Edough's RC decal or 3 LMAO. Think I have one of my white oval original decals left for it too lol.
I wish I had better recommendations for websites for crawler for info, One forum that I had been to before kind of came across as being snobbish and wasn’t exactly a friendly place to visit. I made a few simple inquiries and never did get any response from anyone. Due to that fact I won’t share th name of that forum with you or anyone here, because this forum is about the polar opposite of that forum.

rccrawlercountry.com and Amazon has been a great source of parts, another facet of crawling is the absolute staggering number of upgrades and parts and scale stuff that can be found…….

I wish I had better recommendations for websites for crawler for info, One forum that I had been to before kind of came across as being snobbish and wasn’t exactly a friendly place to visit. I made a few simple inquiries and never did get any response from anyone. Due to that fact I won’t share th name of that forum with you or anyone here, because this forum is about the polar opposite of that forum.

rccrawlercountry.com and Amazon has been a great source of parts, another facet of crawling is the absolute staggering number of upgrades and parts and scale stuff that can be found…….
Just looked at it on Amazon for a bit, looks like it comes with a hobby wing 1040 speed control which isn’t bad, and a 540 can. A suggestion if you want to change that in the future which you may or may not want to do …..put in the hobby wing 1080 speed control and Holmes Hobby 12 turn 550 can. 60 bucks gets both. You get more power, and probably the best speed control you can get for under $100. Just an idea to keep in mind…

looks rugged! The 313 wheel base makes it compatible with most main stream crawler compatibility.

instead of a speed run, we expect a crawl!

Just looked at it on Amazon for a bit, looks like it comes with a hobby wing 1040 speed control which isn’t bad, and a 540 can. A suggestion if you want to change that in the future which you may or may not want to do …..put in the hobby wing 1080 speed control and Holmes Hobby 12 turn 550 can. 60 bucks gets both. You get more power, and probably the best speed control you can get for under $100. Just an idea to keep in mind…

looks rugged! The 313 wheel base makes it compatible with most main stream crawler compatibility.

instead of a speed run, we expect a crawl!
Yep not too bad at all and videos I watched it kept up and was better in some area than the TRX 4 sport. Definitely keep the ESC/motor in mind for down the road also have a Arrma brushed setup coming I may see if runs better than the stock setup if I don't like it. Definitely think I'll be happy being my first crawler and just watching videos of it's performance. Lol ya will definitely get some good crawling footage and may do a speed run just cause 🤣 from video I'm guessing stock it will do a whopping 7-8mph🤣

Yep not too bad at all and videos I watched it kept up and was better in some area than the TRX 4 sport. Definitely keep the ESC/motor in mind for down the road also have a Arrma brushed setup coming I may see if runs better than the stock setup if I don't like it. Definitely think I'll be happy being my first crawler and just watching videos of it's performance. Lol ya will definitely get some good crawling footage and may do a speed run just cause 🤣 from video I'm guessing stock it will do a whopping 7-8mph🤣
I guessed 9 because I feel you may get a tailwind....
Mine has the locking differentials and the two speed transmission. In a way I feel the sport model has its definite advantages, but I like what I've got and I enjoy using the two-speed transmission for what I use it for. Whatever you do make it what you want it to be, there's lots of flexibility out there for you to do that very thing.
200.gif

I guessed 9 because I feel you may get a tailwind....
Mine has the locking differentials and the two speed transmission. In a way I feel the sport model has its definite advantages, but I like what I've got and I enjoy using the two-speed transmission for what I use it for. Whatever you do make it what you want it to be, there's lots of flexibility out there for you to do that very thing.
200.gif
Forgot to mention but I have to include this, the YouTube channel RC Review is, in my opinion, the best YouTube channel reviewing crawlers. He doesn’t seem to play favorites much, is somewhat demanding of the product, and he covers a lot of aspects of crawlers. He is starting to branch out into bashers a little bit, but look into his library if you are interested because he has a lot of good information and insight.

How are parts availability?
Are generic SCX10 upgrade parts all interchangeable with this RGT?
I know my RGT has some axial compatibility. I changed my lockers a while back and improved my steering with some cheap scx10 type cvds. The one the ops is getting has those improvements already.
One rgt that’s very good is the Pioneer. I just saw it on bg for 278$. The one the listed above is very good too but does not have the split trans and front motor like the pioneer. As for them competing with a trx4, I know at least my sport is better than my rgt (climbing, tighter turning, side hilling) but it has been built very sparse (no receiver box, or battery tray and everything forward) and with a lite body pretty much nothing I’ve been around will touch it, even some crazy rigs at my one of my crawling spots.
For the esc, that 1040 isn’t terrible. I have it in one of my gen8s. The 1080 will improve the startup as the 1040 will feel a little jerky. Still far better than those all in one esc/receivers the old rgts came with.

I've been kicking around the idea of a crawler for a while. Since my neighbor just bought a TRX 6, I guess that I'll have to break down and get one. The one that I am really looking at is the TRX 4 Sport kit. I've wanted to build an RC car from scratch, so this seems like a good opportunity. I think that I actually prefer the Sport to the full featured TRX 4. Simple and bare bones has always appealed to me.

I've been kicking around the idea of a crawler for a while. Since my neighbor just bought a TRX 6, I guess that I'll have to break down and get one. The one that I am really looking at is the TRX 4 Sport kit. I've wanted to build an RC car from scratch, so this seems like a good opportunity. I think that I actually prefer the Sport to the full featured TRX 4. Simple and bare bones has always appealed to me.
It's definitely a good option.....Traxxus electronics are the weak link in rtr TRX4....

I have the '79 Bronco TRX4 decked out for scale crawling. Like it a lot especially after adding the pro lighting setup. These crawlers are really cool but also really pricey. And once you started adding/modding it gets crazy. Just the ticket to play is steep compared to what's out there but one thing I have to say is all the extra money I've spent is on upgrades and stuff and not any replacement parts. But for a $300 and under budget I'd be probably looking at Axial and Element for sure.

The TRX4 Sport is simple and not bloated, hence why it comps the best out of any of the TRX4 models. The others are very top heavy. Due to the nicely detailed yet heavy bodies. And portal axles brings the chassis' CG higher to begin with. Out the box, TRX has the better OE shocks of the rest out there. IMHO

WWOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I have the burgundy Defender body........ I have very few mods to the Defender body, added bumpers like yours and a good bit of brass, Savox 1230sg servo, any suggestions on how to chop? and where the )&**#*##*&^%^&)_!)_*)!# did you get ALL THAT STUFF!!!!

PM me if ya wanna.....looks...... well.......DECKED OUT !!!
The TRX4 Sport is simple and not bloated, hence why it comps the best out of any of the TRX4 models. The others are very top heavy. Due to the nicely detailed yet heavy bodies. And portal axles brings the chassis' CG higher to begin with. Out the box, TRX has the better OE shocks of the rest out there. IMHO
Agree 100%..... thats why I haven't added much to the body, and added a fair amount of brass weights DOWN LOWWWWW........

I have the '79 Bronco TRX4 decked out for scale crawling. Like it a lot especially after adding the pro lighting setup. These crawlers are really cool but also really pricey. And once you started adding/modding it gets crazy. Just the ticket to play is steep compared to what's out there but one thing I have to say is all the extra money I've spent is on upgrades and stuff and not any replacement parts. But for a $300 and under budget I'd be probably looking at Axial and Element for sure.
Agree, my TRX4 has been measurably more $$$$$$$ than my Mojave...... and there is more that ...... I want to do........someday......

Last edited:
There's easily $350+ into the Taco...
Shhhhhhhh, I just started ordering stuff for the DOOMbuggy, can't let the wife know my little guy is going to cost as much as my big guys. ;) 💀

Agree, my TRX4 has been measurably more $$$$$$$ than my Mojave...... and there is more that ...... I want to do........someday......
My sport kit was a budget build. I got the kit for 290$, maybe 70$ more for the motor,esc and cheap servo, already had radio gear. Moved everything to the center, low as possible and forward. Raised the sliders and cut maybe 3/8” off the body and got rid of the bumpers and just use the reversed mounts as bumpers. (They key the body) Added some weight inside the wheels and it crushes approach and descend angles, it’s like a freakin spider. Nice thing about crawlers is they can still be fun even on the cheap.

91BB69F6-E3BB-40BF-9483-4019EBDE5F4D.jpeg

6AB13374-C7FA-4343-A181-3F37F61ECFC4.jpeg

Shhhhhhhh, I just started ordering stuff for the DOOMbuggy, can't let the wife know my little guy is going to cost as much as my big guys. ;) 💀
you hope it is ONLY that much....

Actually, typical crawl sessions bring MUCH LESS wear and tear in a way ..... than on a basher..... so, ONCE YOU GET THE RIG WHERE YOU LIKE IT, then typical operating costs are ......usually less......unless something "new and improved" comes along....

@Doom! , what ya gettin for the Doombuggy?
My sport kit was a budget build. I got the kit for 290$, maybe 70$ more for the motor,esc and cheap servo, already had radio gear. Moved everything to the center, low as possible and forward. Raised the sliders and cut maybe 3/8” off the body and got rid of the bumpers and just use the reversed mounts as bumpers. (They key the body) Added some weight inside the wheels and it crushes approach and descend angles, it’s like a freakin spider. Nice thing about crawlers is they can still be fun even on the cheap.

View attachment 166444

View attachment 166446
Thats a $@&& good motor and esc combo !!!! nicely done !!!!! and that rig will give most $1000 rigs a crawl for its money !!!

MAN !!! I think I even have that same battery!!!

@Doom! , heres a nice setup the wife would be proud of, and so would you !

The modding bug is strong..!!
It's totally stock atm, any suggestions as what are good mods for the SCX10-III ??
Not really into roof bars, as this thing is top heavy enough already 😉

IMG_6147.jpeg

These are the parts I have my eye on so far, been looking at wheels and tyres and also a different front bumper 🤔
Can't decide which wheels and tyres I prefer the look of ??
The black wheels come in about 7 different colors, and the silver ones come in silver or matt black..!!

Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 11.48.45.png
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 11.48.55.png
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 11.49.03.png
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 11.49.15.png
Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 11.49.57.png

Opinions or suggestions please...👍🏼👎🏼

The modding bug is strong..!!
It's totally stock atm, any suggestions as what are good mods for the SCX10-III ??
Not really into roof bars, as this thing is top heavy enough already 😉

View attachment 166523

These are the parts I have my eye on so far, been looking at wheels and tyres and also a different front bumper 🤔
Can't decide which wheels and tyres I prefer the look of ??
The black wheels come in about 7 different colors, and the silver ones come in silver or matt black..!!

View attachment 166524View attachment 166525View attachment 166526View attachment 166527View attachment 166528

Opinions or suggestions please...👍🏼👎🏼

The Duratrax crawler tires have been super good to me, specifically in the C3 compound. Just make sure to check outside diameter, because some are HUGE. Also, if you are having issues with the CG being too high, look at lowering that: battery lowering, brass steering knuckles, portal covers, anything super low on the vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back