Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop the chassis, lower the shocks. A huge differnce out the gate with that. don't stress too much over ground clearance. Focus on better approach and departure bumper angels. F/R. Bumpers getting caught up will make or break you.
Reduce sprung weight and increase unsprung weight. With the TRX4, thats all you can do to compensate for the high CG. The right body matters. I like Pre-runner bodies. Perform best. Battery forward works, but the TrX motor placement is already forward. Still need a bit of weight at the rear. I didn't slam the TRX with all the weight I could find at first. I chose a bit here and there till I got it to be a better comp. The Axial didn't need much. Out the box it was balanced with a low CG. The TRX needs more work out the box to perform like an Axial out the box. I have about a $grand$ in each however. Can't tell by looking it them. I have much $Vanquish$ parts in my Axial though. I stopped spending $$ on them. Upgrades are endless.
20210830_104337.jpg

20210830_104110.jpg

20210830_104018.jpg

20210830_103940.jpg

20210830_103746.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT:
Removing the TRX battery tray altogether brings too much rear chassis flex. Make sure you brace the chassis rails well at the rear if you remove it. I would leave it there. It is Light and Low anyway and just use a very small lightweight Lipo pack in the front. I have done this. I even leave a second small lipo in the OE tray for when I need to swap out packs. Usually do this when I trail hike. Mostly what I do with the TRX. The Axial to me is better for technical comping. the Rocks.
Tires will make you or break you IMHO. Cant go cheap here. I use RCAWD IROC Superswampers for the Axial and PIT BULL Rock Beasts ( 1.9's stretched onto 2.2 beadlocks) Not correct for serious comp rules. But not many TRX owners can comp with it anyway if it matters. (think G6 rules). But most don't comp their Crawlers anyway.:cool:
I use the TRX 4 shocks on my Axial. ( JennysRC to the rescue) Tried numerous other shocks. A waste of money. Serious Crawlers regardless of brand end up using the TRX shocks also.

Last edited:
I called my local-ish hobby shop to check availability of the TRX 4 Sport Kit. He set aside his last one for me to pick up tomorrow. So excited!

Plan is to use the HW 1080, HH Trailmaster motor (21T?), and a cheap Amazon 25kg servo. I think that I will also buy the Inner Fender kit to get the front battery tray. I already have a small 3s pack to use.

I already have some upgrades planned, but want to run it stock for a while (trying to keep costs reasonable). Overdrive front, brass portal covers, bead lock wheels, led lights, etc.

After more research, it seems that the TRX 4 Sport is geared too high. Is it better to change the pinion and or spur, or just spec the motor for the stock gearing? I'm looking at the HH Crawlmaster 12 or 15t.

After more research, it seems that the TRX 4 Sport is geared too high. Is it better to change the pinion and or spur, or just spec the motor for the stock gearing? I'm looking at the HH Crawlmaster 12 or 15t.
1900kv Quickrun Fusion is so insanely slow on the bottom end in the TRX4 Sport that gearing it any lower would be too slow.

I called my local-ish hobby shop to check availability of the TRX 4 Sport Kit. He set aside his last one for me to pick up tomorrow. So excited!

Plan is to use the HW 1080, HH Trailmaster motor (21T?), and a cheap Amazon 25kg servo. I think that I will also buy the Inner Fender kit to get the front battery tray. I already have a small 3s pack to use.

I already have some upgrades planned, but want to run it stock for a while (trying to keep costs reasonable). Overdrive front, brass portal covers, bead lock wheels, led lights, etc.
Go more torque with the servo. At least 35kg. Stall amps is better with a stronger servo. Key when crawling and binding your steering in the rocks. A strong servo helps you navigate when you are locked into rocks. A Strong servo actually bumps you out of being stuck. Been there. Under powered servos will just fry. Literally smoke up from heat. Its hard to understand from a basher standpoint. I know. Many like the Reefs 444 and similar for this reason.

Go more torque with the servo. At least 35kg. Stall amps is better with a stronger servo. Key when crawling and binding your steering in the rocks. A strong servo helps you navigate when you are locked into rocks. A SStrong servo actually bumps you out being stuck. Been there. Under powered servos will just fry. Literally smoke up from heat. Its hard to understand from a basher standpoint. I know. Many like the Reefs 444 and similar for this reason.
Similarly, be careful not to go overboard. If your front wheels are bound, a servo that is too strong can literally destroy your truck by launching it back and forth as the truck turns instead of your wheels.

So true. There is NO servo saver with Crawlers. And you can literally rip the whole servo out of its mount and/or snap the servo case ears. Destroy the ST linkage. Been there. Need to know its limits. Practice. There is learning curve with Crawlers for sure.

Sorry to hijack this thread....
I've also been looking into some lockdown spending on a crawler. Can someone please help to explain the Axial stuff?
I'm mildly confused about their range, although I think I want a Trail Truck for the scale look anyway....
SCXiii (is this their TRX4?)
What's the most common wheelbase? what are the most common body lengths/brands?
Spawn
Capra
Wraith
Bomber

As I said, I think what I am actually after is called a "trail truck" rather than a crawler?
I am wanting something that looks cool but also has basic functions and decent upgrade/parts support (not in USA).
In New Zealand we have Axial, Element, Traxxas, Axial available locally. (I currently own Arrma and Team Associated buggies.
I love the look of the Landrover BTW.

Thanks in advance for helping =)

I would go 10 or 12t Crawlmaster sport 550. I use 10t and think its pretty fantastic. If you could swing an axe system (see what I did there...) go with the 3300kv 550 system or the 2800kv 540. Anything lower is too slow for the sports gearing imo. I have both mentioned and like them a lot but 1080 with the holmes is pretty darn good for the money. btw I use the pinion that comes with the sport with the 10t but don't remember the size...sorry.

I agree, go with HW1080/Holmes Hobbies motor 😉👍🏼
I'm using the Crawlmaster Sport 540 13T with HW1080 in my SXC10-III and for the money that combo costs, it's just amazing..!!

Picked it up at lunch. They had the HW 1080 that I also picked up, but didn't have the HH motor. I'll have to order it and a servo.

So the 10T Crawlmaster isn't too fast with the stock gearing? I saw a video where it looked almost fast enough to bash. Scared me since I want to be sure to have enough torque and throttle resolution at crawling speeds. I was thinking about the 12T or even 15T.

I went with a Holmes hobbies 20T 540 rebuildable motor on my TRX4. Set for 6 degrees of mechanical timing. Stayed with an extra Axial AE5 ESC I had in my bin. It is perfectly fine. Brushed motors are much more precise and easier to modulate on the rocks. The Axial Deadbolt I have has an Apex 540 4 slot rebuildable can motor and the HW 1080.
That ESC is probabably the best Crawler ESC out there for a brushed setup. Never gets hot. WP for sure. I run it in streams, rain and snow blizzrds. This ESC crawler settings are endless. Make sure you have the HW Program box for it. If you don't, you are not getting the most out of it. Will be a PIA to do it the default way out the box using the "Set" button.
I added the 2 speed gear set and the TRx micro servo on the TRX4 . In this way I have low speed gearing and can trail at fast speeds also. Still fee the Axial Tranny is much more refined by comparison.
Low gearing is a priority with crawlers. If you think to yourself...wanting to make your crawler faster because it seems too slow, you have it all backwards. These Crawlers and their transmissions are designed for slow speed running. That's why Crawlers can be boring for so many in the beginning.
Food for thought.:cool:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes...ert-motor-20t-hhb110100090/p-qqqeqzqahbzvqctz

Last edited:
20T 540 ( short can) 5 slot may be better. With 6 degrees of mechanical timing. All this assuming an OE Single speed TRX4 Sport setup. Gear down if need be . Smaller pinion is all you need. Some say the TRX4 tranny is low (final drive) already due to additional gear reduction at the portal axles.
BTW, make sure to lube the Portal gears and tranny gears well. And at the locked F/R axels. They can be noisey and bind up if they are dry. I know the RTR TRX4's are very dry with little lube. I use Marine grease in all my Crawlers. I get them seriously wet. Unlike my bashers and the rest of my rigs that never see water or the wet.

Last edited:
Picked it up at lunch. They had the HW 1080 that I also picked up, but didn't have the HH motor. I'll have to order it and a servo.

So the 10T Crawlmaster isn't too fast with the stock gearing? I saw a video where it looked almost fast enough to bash. Scared me since I want to be sure to have enough torque and throttle resolution at crawling speeds. I was thinking about the 12T or even 15T.
Heres a quick video of start up speed, flat and on incline as well as full throttle punches. HH CMS 550 10t.

Sorry @Edough13 for thread derailer. Kind of how crawler threads go on this forum...hope you get that rgt soon. I want to see how it compares to the older model. Pray the fires are going out!

Heres a quick video of start up speed, flat and on incline as well as full throttle punches. HH CMS 550 10t.

Sorry @Edough13 for thread derailer. Kind of how crawler threads go on this forum...hope you get that rgt soon. I want to see how it compares to the older model. Pray the fires are going out!
Hey no worries at all kinda like it has taken off as lots of great info and experience with different rigs have been mentioned. New RGT should be delivered this afternoon if not for sure tomorrow as it's at my local UPS as of this morning. I can't wait and look forward to learning and enjoying some crawling be a nice mix up over my 130+mph speed runs🤣 charging a 2s pack now lol so hoping it does show up about 3-4pm and I can check it out before I have to take my daughter to soccer practice about 5🤞
So far fire hasn't shifted in our direction just have to keep praying it stays Southeast and they get it under control 🙏

The Reedy 5 slot Radon's are known to be very good also as Brushed Crawler motors go.

Thanks Jimbob. That video was great. I just ordered the HH CM 12T. I figure that just a bit slower than yours should be perfect.

I started the build today. I painted a lot of the assessories (fire extinguisher, jack, etc). I haven't done a model since I was a kid, so it was a lot of fun adding some detail to them. I'll officially start the build tonight when I tackle the transmission.

Last edited:

It came!!!😁 I'm no crawling aficionado but it did great and was a blast!! Think with a few upgrades and added weight it will be an amazing rig. Didn't know it had adjustable speed so that was awesome finding that. But ya I'm absolutely stoked and beyond happy with it!! Me and my son took it out for a good 45mins and both were smiling ear to ear. Way awesome how a little 2000mAh 2s pack will last a good hr or so as when we stopped pack still was at 3.8v per cell😱And of course now what do you think he wants😂 so don't think it will be long tell he gets one as he just got his check from the 4H auction last night lol. Oh absolutely blown away and very happy with it!!! Here's some pics😍
20210901_152436.jpg
20210901_152636.jpg
20210901_153241.jpg
20210901_155703.jpg
20210901_162009.jpg
20210901_162024.jpg
20210901_162437.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back