Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If using the OE plastic non Beadlock wheels, they are usually vented inside of the wheel anyway. Beadlock alloy wheels rarely have any venting by design. Tires are best vented at the tread. For a more uniform matched traction as the tire navigates features of the terrain. I vent at 2 opposing positions at the tread. 1/8 holes are fine. Small soldering iron tip or Hole punch works for me. Even brass stock on a drill works. I don't use the scissor method. Can make the tire rip more easily. Jagged cuts and all.

You wont have any obvious issues with non venting. May not see anything. But until you do vent them, you wont realize better traction. You need alot of Crawling time to undertsand it. I mean Crawling over very tough features, Not cruising in the flat or simple trails. Steep climbs over rocks and side hilling with 40+ degree inclines without tumbling down 6 or 7 feet, will need the best traction you can get. You can have the best balanced and weighted Crawler and tires will make you or break you. If you are only into the scale look of a Crawler, all this means nothing. Nothing wrong with show boating your Crawler, looking real and all.
We all have Crawlers for different reasons. Sometimes just to say you have one. Looks nice on the shelf.:cool:

Last edited:
You wont have any obvious issues with non venting. My not see anything. But until you do vent them, you wont realize better traction. You need alot of Crawling time to undertsand it. I mean Crawling over very tough features, Not cruising in the flat or simple trails. Steep climbs over rocks and side hilling with 40+ degree inclines without tumbling down 6 or 7 feet, will need the best traction you can get. You can have the best balanced and weighted Crawler and tires will make you or break you. If you are only into the scale look of a Crawler, all this means nothing. Nothing wrong with show boating your Crawler, looking real and all.
We all have Crawlers for different reasons. Sometimes just to say you have one. Looks nice on the shelf.:cool:
Mine get rode hard & put away wet. I'll probably get into scale eventually

^^^weight of any specific rig in mind?? Stock or weighted out?
I know 8+ pounds is on the very heavy side of things. (1/10).
<5 lbs is on the light side. Generally.

OK so made a few more changes to the crawler.. switched the stock 20t motor to Arrma 12t motor. Added some +10mm hex extenders to widen it out and vented the tires.
20210919_160727.jpg
New 20kg servo and servo horn.
20210919_182029.jpg
20210919_182042.jpg
Got my steering parts I ordered but turns out they are for the previous model so steering mounts are completely different and also the caster mounts have a different angle which causes bad toe out.
20210920_184042.jpg
20210920_183714.jpg
20210920_194216.jpg
So no go on the steering parts but that's OK as rig is performing amazingly with the changes made so far👍🏼

Are you needing to go with alloy C-hubs at the axles to add more unsuspended weight?
Nice rig BTW.

Are you needing to go with alloy C-hubs at the axles to add more unsuspended weight?
Nice rig BTW.
Thanks, I'm really liking it so far and it has performed amazingly for a "cheaprer" crawler. That was the idea and also just to have better metal parts over the plastic stuff. But as I said turns out parts I ordered are for the previous version and not mine which is the EX and v2 version. Just have to do some better shopping next time and now I know what the parts look like also to make sure I get the right stuff over just assuming the parts are the same because they are advertised for the truck.

I'm also loving my crawler (TRX4 Sport) that this thread inspired me to buy. Only mods so far have been to remove the center lugs off of the stock tires, add weight to the front wheels, and raise the front bumper (all free). Next will be to raise the rear bumper and sliders (cheap, but need some parts). They get hung up on the rocks often. I may add some metal diff covers; not for looks or weight, but to better protect the axle housings. They have taken a beating on the rocks.

I don't have much to compare it to, but it performs amazing on my small backyard crawler course. There are a few lines that my neighbor's TRX-6 can't do that mine handles easily.

Thought I'd add a little to this thread. I bought a Redcat Wendigo a while back. It's sold as a Rock Racer cause it's brushless, (unsensored). On 3s, it's pretty fast, but with it's G8 drivetrain and suspension, it spends most of it's life on it's roof. Tall, top heavy, 2.2 tires/wheels. If I looked at it sideways, it would flip over. Trouble was, it sucked as a crawler cause of the unsensored brushless set-up. So I just put a 35t brushed motor and a basic 2-3s ESC in it this weekend. Much better. Now it's very smooth at low speed with lots of torque. Not very fast now, but that's ok. I took it out in the desert and climbed a 20ft, very steep hill of large rock and loose dirt. Took a few tries and different lines, but it went up it. Now It needs metal beadlocks to put some weight down low. Starting to like the crawler side of this money pit.

Still progressing (in both skills and mods) with the TRX-4. I have raised the rear bumper and sliders since my last post which made a massive difference. Upgraded the radio today to the Flysky GT5- I finally have full range on my steering.

My backyard course is ever expanding as well. I have made some cool wood features, but I have to pick them up and store them in my garage when not in use since "my" course isn't technically on my land. Since it is conservation area behind my yard, I am trying to keep it to just rocks and dirt. Fun project!

Hi crawlers. Hope you don't mind me jumping in this thread.
My wife has asked me if I want a new RC for an upcoming birthday and what would I want. Yes I know, she's a keeper.
I was thinking of getting a 1/10 rock crawler. I have made a short list but can't decide on one. I like the idea of a kit as I like building but I'm not ruling out RTR. Performance being more important than looks but I don't want an ugly one either. I like the idea of portal axles too.

This is my short list:
Axial SCX10.2 Deadbolt rtr (I already have a SCX24 deadbolt)
Axial capra kit (kinda leaning towards this one)
Axial capra rtr
Redcat GEN8 V2 Scout II rtr
MST CFX-W j45c (this would be my 1st choice but no stock in Aus)

What you thinking? Anyone had experience with these? Any of these I should cross off the list?

My only experience is with the TRX-4 Sport kit, which I have been extremely pleased with. With just some free mods (raising bumpers and skids, locating battery to front, and cutting center lugs off the tires) it performs really well.

I am already researching what my next crawler will be- I do have two kids afterall? ;) Your list includes some that I am interested in as well.

The Capra kit looks great if you want performance over scale looks.
The Redcat Scout looks to be good bang for the buck for an rtr. I'm also interested in the Element Ecto.

I'd suggest the kit route. I had a ton of fun building mine, and you end up with good electronics. I used the Hobbywing 1080, Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport, Amazon 25kg servo, and a Flysky GT5 radio. This adds about$150 to the kit price ,less if you already have a radio), but you wind up with a much nicer build than rtr electronics.

My only experience is with the TRX-4 Sport kit, which I have been extremely pleased with. With just some free mods (raising bumpers and skids, locating battery to front, and cutting center lugs off the tires) it performs really well.

I am already researching what my next crawler will be- I do have two kids afterall? ;) Your list includes some that I am interested in as well.

The Capra kit looks great if you want performance over scale looks.
The Redcat Scout looks to be good bang for the buck for an rtr. I'm also interested in the Element Ecto.

I'd suggest the kit route. I had a ton of fun building mine, and you end up with good electronics. I used the Hobbywing 1080, Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport, Amazon 25kg servo, and a Flysky GT5 radio. This adds about$150 to the kit price ,less if you already have a radio), but you wind up with a much nicer build than rtr electronics.
Thank for your input. I am leaning towards the Capra as its got some great reviews, kit form, available at my NVLHS (Not Very Local Hobby Shop) and the plastic tube frame means I won't be worried about damaging the body as much. I think a build kit will be fun too. Thanks for the suggested electronics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back