Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
Been really thinking about getting a crawler lately and was wanting some input for what's worth a sh!t and doesn't need tons of upgrades out of the box. Also don't want to spend an arm and half my left leg for one either so looking at a decent budget friendly rig. Have looked at the scx24 but not sure I want something that tiny more so would like closer to a 1/12 or 1/10 size. @Pat_ranch I know your a crawler guy what's your input Sir? Ideally would like to stay in the $200-$300 max range. Appreciate any and all input and suggestions!!

Been really thinking about getting a crawler lately and was wanting some input for what's worth a sh!t and doesn't need tons of upgrades out of the box. Also don't want to spend an arm and half my left leg for one either so looking at a decent budget friendly rig. Have looked at the scx24 but not sure I want something that tiny more so would like closer to a 1/12 or 1/10 size. @Pat_ranch I know your a crawler guy what's your input Sir? Ideally would like to stay in the $200-$300 max range. Appreciate any and all input and suggestions!!
1/12 and 1/10 scale crawlers are pushing your budget. I have been wanting a crawler too. Now that I built my Granite, I am broke after buying the CVD's:ROFLMAO:. I like the scx24 because of how small they are. You can plop them down anywhere and have a blast. Good luck!

TRX Sport or Axial SCX 10.3. I am partial to my 2 Axials. I have both brands . Tranny in the TRX does not appeal to me. Not as refined as Axial's. Just me. I would def. stay 1/10 over 1/24. You can put it down anywhere with less limits due to scale and terrain. 1/10 is more mainstream. Performance is way better. Just me.
1/24 is great for the house. But at a park or where there are rocks at parks etc (what these were originally designed for) 1/10 can handle much more varied terrain. These Crawlers are for climbing. Navigating hard ungroomed areas. Larger the scale, more fun you can achieve in most places. I leave my Crawler in my trunk at times. And when I drive around and find 10 minutes and a nice spot, I pull it out for a few minutes of fun. The lipos last and last. I have gone hours and miles of trail walking with them. A 1/24 may limit your choices and harder to find a more scale terrain.. Of course wallet permitting.

Last edited:
I'm an scx24 slut. I kinda figgered some stuff out to make em climb pretty well. $130 for the truck, and another $60-$100 for upgrades will make it a serious rig for its size. The portability and convenience make them easy to crawl inside or out.
But. They little.
Big outdoor lines are always gonna be a stretch.
For 1/10, in your target range, redcat gen 8 v2 steals the show at $300. You'll need to add weight to the front wheels (I used masonry mastic tape), and cut the front foams (lisa Simpson haircut style), but after those 2 super cheap mods they run great. The tires are only OK, but they're fine for a starter rig. One worthy step up would be the traxxas canyon trails- cheap and great performance with a little cutting. High end crawler tires and wheels will set you back over $200, so slum the factory shoes or the traxxas skins for awhile.

1/12 and 1/10 scale crawlers are pushing your budget. I have been wanting a crawler too. Now that I built my Granite, I am broke after buying the CVD's:ROFLMAO:. I like the scx24 because of how small they are. You can plop them down anywhere and have a blast. Good luck!
Ya I've been looking and 1/12 1/10 are my full budget or more. I just don't want a mini crawler like the scx24 as it's just too small, even my daughter's 1/16 truck is so small. I've got lots of crawler terrain on my property and behind it is tons of bigger rocks and mountain side to play so definitely want sometimes a little bigger.
I'm an scx24 slut. I kinda figgered some stuff out to make em climb pretty well. $130 for the truck, and another $60-$100 for upgrades will make it a serious rig for its size. The portability and convenience make them easy to crawl inside or out.
But. They little.
Big outdoor lines are always gonna be a stretch.
For 1/10, in your target range, redcat gen 8 v2 steals the show at $300. You'll need to add weight to the front wheels (I used masonry mastic tape), and cut the front foams (lisa Simpson haircut style), but after those 2 super cheap mods they run great. The tires are only OK, but they're fine for a starter rig. One worthy step up would be the traxxas canyon trails- cheap and great performance with a little cutting. High end crawler tires and wheels will set you back over $200, so slum the factory shoes or the traxxas skins for awhile.
Awesome thanks for the input and tips @Pat_ranch as I know your a big crawler guy. Was looking at a Redcat Gen 7 sport as it's cheaper but not sure if again it would be worth it or if I should just pay more and get the better Gen 8 as I also like the scout body.

I'll just add that if slow speed crawling is what you want to do, go brushed motor or sensored brushless. I have the Redcat Wendigo, which is brushless, and it struggles to climb at slow speed. It also flips over if you look at it sideways:rolleyes:. I'll eventually convert it to brushed and add metal beadlocks. I bought it as a rock racer, but it doesn't do that well either.

I bought an scx24 for my 8yr daughter than bought a 2nd one 2 days later. If I'm hanging around the house I build little obstacle courses with her barbi's lol. The price at $125 has gotten a bit steep for what you get though. I could take it outside of but doesn't make it threw most of the rocks I have around my house and it will get stuck in my grass. I would go with a 1/10 or 1/12th axial. You can find them used. They don't go that fast so there isn't a huge chance someone has destroyed one compared to a used Kraton that can hit a telephone pole at 60mph. Used might have a few scratches but nothing major like gearing problems or gremlins in the electronics (like a used Kraton someone band aided back together after wrecking at high speed).

Been eyeballing the ‘big‘ crawlers for several months now (sold my two 1/24 crawlers) and been reading quite a lot on them. Seems the Trx sport is one of the top dogs, less bells and whistles, less expensive and less top heavy than the ’normal’ Trx4.
Witnessed the new 2021 Trx Bronco live in the LHS last week 😜. Managed to NOT buy it. More of a Jeep guy or Land Rover guy.
Axial and Trx have tons and tons of upgrades/aftermarket parts.😉

I have a few crawlers and can tell you hands down, the Element Endero! RTR version is $300 and its amazing. The kit version has a few nicer parts and then you select your electronics. It performs better than most, better quality than most, and also has a large selection of aftermarket stuff. Honestly you need very little added to the RTR. I did better tires and nicer aluminum wheels and a couple brass pieces down low and its a champ! You don't need to go broke with mods. Personally, I am not an Axial fan, Crappy plastics. The newer stuff is good. The older stuff is crap and breaks a lot. I do like the Axial Capra though. Traxxas TRX is nice too but out of your budget. The one with the 2-speed is about $550. The 2 speed allows you to drive trails with more pep and then slow for hard rock crawling. It is more diverse because of this.

I have several crawlers and most are from the SCX10 platform.
Redcat crawlers are a bit cheaper but not the quality as a Axial or Traxxas crawlers.
I have two Redcats and they are decent but parts break easier I think. I've moddified mine completely. I have the Gen 7 and Everest 10.
I agree that your budget may be a bit low though.

TRX4 Sport Kit: inexpensive, body works, albeit not the most attractive, but can be swapped out later if you like for something custom. Some manual labor cutting and siping the tires goes a long way. Putting your own radio in is a plus, instead of having to tear out a junk rx. Locking diff axles can be swapped in from Jenny's if you want to go serious later. Brushed crawler systems can be inexpensive if you want to try it out, or the Hobbywing Quicrun Fusion (the higher KV) if you want to buy once and be done with it.

SCX10.2: Trail Honcho, plus some C3 compound Duratrax crawler tires and inexpensive beadlocks is about the most capable for the least invasive work you can get without spending hardly anything on upgrades. SCX10.2 over the 10.3. It seems like they just kinda made everything more "meh" while making it "crawl better" artificially by extending the wheelbase.

There is enough aftermarket that you can pretty easily upgrade after the fact if you decide to continue tinkering after crawling a bit, too.

Bonus Pics: My TRX4 Sport Kit
IMG_20210523_183231245_HDR.jpg

20210612_113639.jpg

I've been getting into crawlers lately and now own a few TRX4s, a TRX6, Axial SCX10 II, SCX10 III, HPI Venture SBK, Enduro Builder's Kit and Axial Capra.

If I had to recommend one, it'd be the TRX4 Sport Kit. It doesn't come with electronics so just add a HW 1080 and Holmes Hobbies Sport 550 motor for around $60-70 which is light years ahead of the stock stuff that comes with an RTR. It comes with a body, so no messing around with getting body posts the right height and located. The shocks are decent and it comes with wheels that are unglued. If you are going to go through water then get a set of cheap aluminum beadlocks from Amazon so you can dry the foams out.

If you are going to do more crawling than trailing, then consider the Element Enduro Builder's Kit II as it comes from the factory with overdrive.

D7E96470-23B8-48A1-87BD-64DD6FF6BAAE.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few
Vanquish vs410 pro
Vanquish vs410 ultra
Axial scx10 III jeep

I love building them. But for me super boring to drive.
this is my vanquish 410 ultra build with portals.
the quality of the vanquish stuff is top notch.
55693032-6747-46A1-B931-9A35F3B3499E.jpeg
B4E26295-9992-45F0-929A-64277DD61AFC.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back