Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question... Adding weights to the inner side of wheel or weights to the axle ??
Which is best, I know that both of them are are going to help lower the center of gravity but are the ones that bolt to the wheels any good as I've seen quite a few recently that look like disc rotors which I think are pretty cool 😎

View attachment 167453
Weight on the axel is better IMO. Why create stress at the wheels. Tried both. I prefer most any ballast weight at the front up forward most of the time. My rigs at least.

Was messing around and decided to try and fit an old beat to $hit Granite body on the crawler. Well not too bad what do you guys think?
20210905_192707.jpg
20210905_192735.jpg
20210905_193840.jpg
Little bit short but not terrible. Now my Bigrock body would fit perfect but wouldn't have a body for it unless I swapped it for the crawler body and extended the posts🤔 I mean it looks pretty sweet but don't think it would hold up to my bashing very long...
20210905_193207.jpg

Looks like a good thread to post my Bomber. The electronics were already installed when I purchase it but I added a few cosmetics stuff.
She screams..

Axial RR10 Bomber.
------------------
Metal frame

Tekin Pro4 HD brushless, sensored motor

Tekin RS esc

Tekin T440 servo

External bec

Vanquish Method wheels

Proline Hyrax 2.2 tires

KYX Aluminum body panels

Vanquish knuckles and lockouts

Diff covers

Roof protector

Window nets

Motor fan

Decals

IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG

Aluminum wheels is always a good upgrade as far as I'm concerned. The tires on the other hand, it's hard to say. I have cheap sets of tires and they work for me.

Last edited:
Aluminum wheels is always a good upgrade as far as I'm concerned. The tires on the other, it's hard to say. I have cheap sets of tires and they work for me.
I figured for not even $20 it's worth a shot and if they aren't softer than the stock set I'll just pull those off the stock rims and put them on the bead lock rims as they are not bad at all just need a little more beefy tread IMO for better grip but with a heavier rim they may work better🤷🏻

So went with a different set as they were comparable in price and are 120mm over the first set I was looking at being 110mm. Also full set with bead locks and tires/foams so have to see how tires and foams feel when I get them but for the price can't complain.
Screenshot_20210906-114322_eBay.jpg

Got a lot of work done on my TRX4 kit this weekend. I painted and assembled the body which took the most time. I also spent a bunch of time rearranging the electronics trying to figure out the best layout. I am still waiting for the motor to be delivered, which I need to try to get the balance right. I'm leaning towards mounting the esc in the stock location, the receiver in the front of the battery tray, and the battery on the right floor board (in place of the stock receiver box). I don't treat my rc trucks as submarines, so I don't need the huge waterproof box for a tiny receiver. I figure mounting it in the battery tray is high enough to not get wet. My battery is small and light (3s, 1500mah soft pack), so I'm hoping that it will balance with the motor being offset to the left. I was thinking about removing the battery tray, but it seems to provide a lot of structure.

The super swampers in the first one are fine. But if you look at the super swampers mounted to the wheels (Red) they are called super swampers also, but a differnt tread. And I have those. But they don't have The real "Rocks Tyre Super Swamper" tread like in the first tire. The real super swampers have a unique cross rib in the center for self cleaning of mud and snow. Many tires out there called super swamper. A Name copy because originals known to one of the best. But only one original tread design. I also have the RCAWD Super Swampers. The original licensee of this Swamper. Both are good tires. But the real Super swamper tread works well in everything. RCAWD uses a better rubber.
Hope you understood what I said.
The wheels are nice. I like the Yellow or Silver myself.

The super swampers in the first one are fine. But if you look at the super swampers mounted to the wheels (Red) they are called super swampers also, but a differnt tread. And I have those. But they don't have The real "Rocks Tyre Super Swamper" tread like in the first tire. The real super swampers have a unique cross rib in the center for self cleaning of mud and snow. Many tires out there called super swamper. A Name copy because originals known to one of the best. But only one original tread design. I also have the RCAWD Super Swampers. The original licensee of this Swamper. Both are good tires. But the real Super swamper tread works well in everything. RCAWD uses a better rubber.
Hope you understood what I said.
The wheels are nice. I like the Yellow or Silver myself.
Not too worried about the tires as the stock set on it now are actually really decent tires so if the tires mounted with the red beadlocks aren't great I'll just swap them out. Ya I did like the first tread pattern better as you mentioned but also they were a smaller tire at 110mm which stock now are 120mm so another reason I went with the red set above being 120mm also. Another question if you can help is am I able to go to the 2.2 size rims and tires without issue as I noticed a lot more I liked and better quality in that size. I'd figure would be fine just a larger rim and tire is all but again completely new to crawling so just want to make sure.

The OE TRX tires are very good. Many even tune them better with Crawler innovations firm front foams and mediums in the rear wheels. What I did. But changed over to Pit Bull Rock Beast XL's on my Trx4. Incredible tire. Very expensive. Hands down the best Crawler tires out there. But I paid hard for them.
Sticky as all heck. Excellent tread grip in most anything, Snow also.
Sometimes I trim some lugs off the tread and experiment with better traction. Like with the Axial Falken Wild Peaks. The OE tire. Cutting a center set of lugs off made them better for climbing. Used side cutters.

Last edited:
I have tried either one the linked tires or wheels. The wheels in the later post look like injoras, which are decent. And they have knockoff hyraxs on them. It's totally worth it to drop some $$ on hyrax, or the new trencher crawler tires. I actually got to test out my trenchers today against some hyraxs, and they're pretty even. But you're looking at around $100 for either one of those.
With the chitanium knockoffs, it's a gamble. Sometimes they work

Yes they are Hyrax knock offs ( treads) exactly. Yet they say Super swampers. Have them. The rubber is harder than a PL Hyrax.
Anyone know of the Pitbull Rock beast XL's?
Great tires.
Premium price though. Wish they were cheaper. my other 2 Axial Crawlers would have them too. :cool:
https://pitbullrc.com/products/pb9011nk

Mounted to a set of VP wheels too. $ouch$. Crawling can get crazy $$.

Last edited:
Been really thinking about getting a crawler lately and was wanting some input for what's worth a sh!t and doesn't need tons of upgrades out of the box. Also don't want to spend an arm and half my left leg for one either so looking at a decent budget friendly rig. Have looked at the scx24 but not sure I want something that tiny more so would like closer to a 1/12 or 1/10 size. @Pat_ranch I know your a crawler guy what's your input Sir? Ideally would like to stay in the $200-$300 max range. Appreciate any and all input and suggestions!!
Absolutely love my Danchee Ridgerock from Redcat Racing. Budget friendly around $115 and crawls over everything with the right tires. Stock tires are a little toy grade, but ok. Only thing I've done is moved the ESC to the battery compartment,removed ESC compartment, and went with cantilever suspension. Impressed with.its performance.
PXL_20210830_225848332.jpg
PXL_20210830_225810488.jpg

Where I'm located there aren't so many rocks 😉, it's more forest woods, mud and wet/dry..
What tyres would be a good choice ??
The cheapo ones above that I bought were chosen more on size and looks to be honest...!!
I don't know if it's just me, but the stock SCX10lll tyres are too tall in my opinion 🤔 so I went just slightly less tall with my chinesium ones...

I figured for not even $20 it's worth a shot and if they aren't softer than the stock set I'll just pull those off the stock rims and put them on the bead lock rims as they are not bad at all just need a little more beefy tread IMO for better grip but with a heavier rim they may work better🤷🏻
One of the very reasons my crawlers are my favorite rigs. There is a thousands of different direction you can go with them. No pun. :p

What I learned with crawlers is that Creativity can go a long way. So can the money in your wallet. Once you figure out Crawlers, you will find that $$$ is not always the answer. There are DIY tricks that accomplish the same. But tires will make you or break you. IMO. If you get set of shoes that don't work like, you expected better traction etc., try trimming the treads with side cutters after finding where/why the tires don't work just right. Before buying another set.
Bead locks makes tire changes easier and to fine tune them with different closed cell foams. No reason to have glue-on tires and wheels with Crawlers.

One of the very reasons my crawlers are my favorite rigs. There is a thousands of different direction you can go with them. No pun. :p
Yes I'm finding that out but my wallets not prepared or willing😂 I am very happy though that even stock with me adding some weight to the front and changing shock positioning I've already seen improvement. I think with more weight down low adding the metal rims will help even more and man this thing will be solid! I tested out my course yesterday and rig did great. Had some issues with traction as I layed sand down over the rocks and wood to help keep it in place from moving so sand on the rocks made it a bit slippery and challenging. But still made it through forwards and backwards with very little hangups so absolutely stoked this rig is performing so well for being a "cheap" crawler at $250 reatail😍

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back