Been wanting a crawler any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no rock crawler expert (my only experience is with my TRX-4 Sport kit and my neighbors TRX-6), but it seems like you should figure out where and what type of crawling that you will be doing before making a decision. Some seem better for trailing (faster, more scale looking), some better for running over rock gardens (high clearance, portal axles), some better at climbing or side hilling (LCG builds). My TRX-4 is a beast in my backyard rock garden course, but I think that I'd choose something completely different if I lived out West with huge rocks to climb.
From my experience, portals do little for performance. It can be a wash IMHO.
I have an Axial 10.2 ( no portals) and TRX Sport roller ( with portals)
Portal design raises the chassis. Getting a higher C of G. With only a very slight clearance advantage.
My Axial 10.2 has a lower C of G and rolls over much less easily, comparing both out the box in stock trim.. Less chassis clearance. But Crawler chassis are designed to slide over the rocks and wont get caught up if you have Smooth Rock rails. I had to add very much more Unsprung weight to my TRX to keep it from tipping over. To evenly compete with my 10.2
They both run fine now after much tweaking and you need to have Very Light bodies with most any Crawler.
I prefer the transmission of the Axial products. More refined. Just me.
I find the TRX Crawler shocks best for the price ( JennysRC) I use them on ALL my Crawlers. Most in the Crawler crowd do this.

Last edited:
Got the new servo RCjuice sent me installed in my RGT. Been getting hammered with rain so only able to mess around on my wood pile in the garage, so far servo is great. Didn't realize the WP1080 only has a max 7.4v BEC so not sure what the servo is actually making for power. Quoted 486 oz-in at 8.4v so maybe 400 oz-in at 7.4v?
20211021_200300.jpg
20211021_200318.jpg

With a white overcoat. It’s a opaque paint. So it’s kinda real hard to tell how much you’ve put on. View attachment 175789View attachment 175790
You mean a white backing? That’s the only term I’m familiar with right now for the paint you put on top of the paint lol. Sounds like the spaz color changing paint Ive used, couldn’t even see it really until the backing color was put on. Thanks!!

If you use white backer, It makes the color pop. True to the color. Using black backer will mute darken or deepen the color.
Results Depend on the intended primary color. Silver as a backer is nice also.
Also, a light dusting of silver before a primary color will make it appear metallic and deepen primary color slightly.
If you use white backer, It makes the color pop. True to the color. Using black backer will mute darken or deepen the color.
It all Depends on the primary color. Silver as a backer is nice also.
Also, a light dusting of silver before a primary color will make it appear metallic and deepen color slightly.

Last edited:
My lovely wife has ordered me a Capra builders kit. 🤫 I'm not supposed to know. Lucky my closest LHS had one in stock. Also ordered the HW 1080 80a esc to start with. Still deciding on which tyres, motor, overdrive etc.

My lovely wife has ordered me a Capra builders kit. 🤫 I'm not supposed to know. Lucky my closest LHS had one in stock. Also ordered the HW 1080 80a esc to start with. Still deciding on which tyres, motor, overdrive etc.
Highly suggest Holmes hobbies motors they are amazing! I went with the crawlmaster sport 550 12t with the HW 1080 and am blown away at the performance. Super smooth, really nice slow crawling and great break strength👍🏼

Highly suggest Holmes hobbies motors they are amazing! I went with the crawlmaster sport 550 12t with the HW 1080 and am blown away at the performance. Super smooth, really nice slow crawling and great break strength👍🏼
Same motor and esc. Love them!

The Capra is geared high, so you want to make sure that you get a slow motor. I want to say that the 540 Crawlmaster Sport 16T is what Holmes suggests for the Capra.

Ya 540L or 550 can will require some trimmingnof upper link mount to fit in a capra.

Same motor and esc. Love them!

The Capra is geared high, so you want to make sure that you get a slow motor. I want to say that the 540 Crawlmaster Sport 16T is what Holmes suggests for the Capra.

Thanks guys. Yes I have been looking at the Holmes Hobbies motors. What pinion are you running? I want a slow crawl.

Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry @Edough13 for gate crashing your thread.

Holmes Hobbies has a review video of the Capra where he discusses all of the motor options. Worth a watch before you decide on a motor. I'd probably slap the smallest pinion that will fit as well to lower the gearing.

Can you tell that I have been researching a potential Capra build? ;)

Holmes Hobbies has a review video of the Capra where he discusses all of the motor options. Worth a watch before you decide on a motor. I'd probably slap the smallest pinion that will fit as well to lower the gearing.

Can you tell that I have been researching a potential Capra build? ;)
Yep I watched that video recently.

Whats the smallest pinion that will fit?

Thanks guys. Yes I have been looking at the Holmes Hobbies motors. What pinion are you running? I want a slow crawl.

Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry @Edough13 for gate crashing your thread.
Hey no worries I already got the crawler long ago lol. Nice to have a thread that everyone can give suggestions and help one another out for crawling👍🏼
I run a 14t pinion on my setup but could drop a little even.

How did you fit the 550? Doesn't it interfere?

Just ordered a 35kg DSSERVO. Will that be strong enough? ( I asks after the purchase 🤦‍♂️😆 )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back