Notorious Before-I-Buy Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just scrolled back on the Notorious forums and you were talking about getting one last October!!
Well, yes, but actually no 😂

In the Netherlands the V5 all cost €630 ($740), while in the US it used to cost $570. That is a huge difference.

In spring 2020 my dad got permission to work in the US
In summer it got delayed
In fall it got delayed
In the winter politics happened and no Visa were granted
In spring we made an appointment for Visa
In summer it got cancelled/delayed
And last monday we finally got it!

I kept thinking: $200 is worth the wait. And then our moving got delayed, and I thought: $200 is still worth the wait <-- repeat many times.

The wing mount is one of the parts I have yet to break. I'm not sure how. I'm thinking of submitting it the the Vatican as a miracle. Anyone know who the Patron Saint of Bash is?
@Rich Duperbash is.;)
Well, yes, but actually no 😂

In the Netherlands the V5 all cost €630 ($740), while in the US it used to cost $570. That is a huge difference.

In spring 2020 my dad got permission to work in the US
In summer it got delayed
In fall it got delayed
In the winter politics happened and no Visa were granted
In spring we made an appointment for Visa
In summer it got cancelled/delayed
And last monday we finally got it!

I kept thinking: $200 is worth the wait. And then our moving got delayed, and I thought: $200 is still worth the wait <-- repeat many times.
DId you ever consider that the Euro and USD have an exchange rate, that brings the prices somewhat equal on the open market?

Not trying to be the dream killer in this thread (but I guess I am) - as a 16 year old (with limited funds) doing the expat thing in Portland - you're going to find there's a whole lot of things to do out there. While we are all RC nuts on this forum, sinking several hundred into an RC may not be the best thing to do until you figure out how you are spending your time while out there. At some point you should pick one up to take advantage of the U.S. versus European pricing on Horizon products but don't get too caught up in it that you miss out on all the other stuff.

If you're from/in Weert, you're pretty close to where I used to travel for work (Eindhoven& Best).

Not trying to be the dream killer in this thread (but I guess I am) - as a 16 year old (with limited funds) doing the expat thing in Portland - you're going to find there's a whole lot of things to do out there. While we are all RC nuts on this forum, sinking several hundred into an RC may not be the best thing to do until you figure out how you are spending your time while out there. At some point you should pick one up to take advantage of the U.S. versus European pricing on Horizon products but don't get too caught up in it that you miss out on all the other stuff.

If you're from/in Weert, you're pretty close to where I used to travel for work (Eindhoven& Best).

Words of wisdom here...

I agree that waiting a bit before spending your limited funds is probably the right thing to do. Buying an expensive RC should probably not be at the top of your priorities right now.

Wait what? You are 16 and travel abroad for work?

Buying one won't be a first thing to do, thanks. We should 'settle' first.

By the way, what can you do there besides city life and hiking? (I love hiking btw)
Wait what? You are 16 and travel abroad for work?
My dad will work in the US, I can't get a job there to earn extra money

By the way, what can you do there besides city life and hiking? (I love hiking btw)

I was asking engineer. And I just realized I misread his post. Maybe I am going crazy.

I know there are many reviews, and threads like this, but I still have some questions:

1. Is the Notorious "unbreakable", assuming I don't crash it (I always try to land in grass)?​
I really don't like repairing stuff that "isn't my fault" that it broke, so, for example, if I launch the Notorious and land perfectly, is the chance that it breaks near zero?
I have another RC (Slash 4x4 VXL), and as long as I land perfectly, nothing breaks. Should I expect the Notorious to be just as durable?
I don't care about breaking it when crashing, because I can prevent that without spending money: just learn to drive better.

2. Assuming I do crash it, what can it handle with few modifications (I always try to land in grass)?​
I've heard replacing the chassis braces are a must, to prevent many other parts from breaking, so assume I have upgraded braces.

3. What are must-have mods/upgrades, besides:​
  • Diff fluids
  • Chassis braces
  • Alu. servo mount?
Many people say: 'Just go full M2C', but I'm a 16 y/o without a job (can't work in the USA), so I have to do with my current money + allowance, and I also have to (read: want to) buy a new laptop and guitar. What are the absolute essentials?

4. How are all the stock electronics?​
People say the radio and receiver are good for an RTR set.
From what I've heard the servo is ok-ish, and that there are other mods to improve steering (I'll do more research after buying, as this isn't a priority).
I've heard many opinions about the motor + ESC, so how good are they for general, non-extreme skatepark use?
Should I upgrade immediately (if so, to what?), or are they sufficient? Do I need cooling (I'll be living in Portland when I buy one)?
And, is this true: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/kv-range-firma-150a.33799/ Only one person answered, and I prefer to have the opinions/knowledge of as many people as possible.

5. Will 2x 3s fit?​
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=99&product_id=641
2x 38mm > 70mm, but I've heard there is a way to make the batt. tray larger.
Otherwise, what is a good option for 2x 3s LiPo's? I need some for my 1:10, that can also be used in a Notorious.

6. How much should I expect to spend?​
Like I said, I want to be a bit careful with spending money. This is my current "buy-list":
$600 ARRMA Notorious 6s V5 (I thought it was $570?)​
$60 SMC 6s 5000 mAh​
$50 M2C/$25 EXB chassis braces (you can get a pair of EXB ones for $25 at JBI RC)​
$10 Tuning stuff​
$... A good charger​
I'll keep in mind that shock towers are a likely future upgrade, though I don't mind constantly bending them back if that means not buying a $100 M2C pair.

And, why am I getting a Notorious? Because My Slash is the complete opposite: great in a straight line, and jumps perfectly stable, but I can't even dream about letting that thing do more than half a flip. I just want something more exiting with more variety, to test the limits of my control. The Slash is "too easy" to drive, though I still love it!
Just one suggestion......when you asked if you should upgrade immediately.....

You don't have to. With a limited budget, as you related, you could buy as you break or as time and money allows.....

Just a thought, but there are several long timers on here that suggest that, and that's how I try to roll.....
I was asking engineer. And I just realized I misread his post. Maybe I am going crazy.
We are all crazy......it's just some of us show it more than others....

.a psychiatrist who worked at the psych facility I worked at for 6 years said that....

Last edited:
Just one suggestion......when you asked if you should upgrade immediately.....

You don't have to. With a limited budget, as you related, you could buy as you break or as time and money allows.....

Just a thought, but there are several long timers on here that suggest that, and that's how I try to roll.....

We are all crazy......it's just some of us show it more than others....

.a psychiatrist who worked at the psych facility I worked at for 6 years said that....
Earlier I was talking to Woodie about something that he wanted to do, and I was like oh someone already started a thread for that. I cannot find the thread I looked for a good 30-40 minutes and nothing. The thread does not exist.

Earlier I was talking to Woodie about something that he wanted to do, and I was like oh someone already started a thread for that. I cannot find the thread I looked for a good 30-40 minutes and nothing. The thread does not exist.
Ostriches Going Crazy GIF by chuber channel

It was a figment of your imagination.....

Or was it?😎

Yeah man, it's nice if you can get an RC rig, but most of all, ENJOY your time here with all the variety of things you can do.

Not an expert on anything west of Denver, but many of the things you can do in the mountains of North Carolina cost virtually nothing or very little......

Last edited:
So what I've learned now:
  • Get used to the US first, before I buy
  • Break, than buy
  • Stock parts will probably hold up OK
  • Diffs are reliable-ish when not driving extremely
  • Stock electronics are good enough (though I'll see how they handle heat)
  • Get that wing mount that everybody is talking about

Ha! I wish I was 16 again and knew what I know now - but that time has long since past. :)

So what I've learned now:
  • Get used to the US first, before I buy
  • Break, than buy
  • Stock parts will probably hold up OK
  • Diffs are reliable-ish when not driving extremely
  • Stock electronics are good enough (though I'll see how they handle heat)
  • Get that wing mount that everybody is talking about

* Bring me some bitterballen and fritessaus

They pretty much don't break if you land them well. Up to 30 feet at least, I haven't sent my Notorious V5/Outcast EXB higher than that.

Only thing I would really recommend is to make sure diffs are shimmed correctly in the bulkhead and check all the screws. Other than that, fix/upgrade what breaks.

On a side note I'm not really up to date on us visa laws, but I know I had a job at 16, and many Americans do. Situation may be different for you @The Bean.

If you are HERE in the US, you can find a job at 16. There are several jobs that pay cash on the barrel head and that is exactly what you need to look for. Asking neighbors to rake leaves, clean out eves, clean up garages, do oil changes, mow yards….BUT most of all, FLIRT with some girls your age and have some FUN!! I was emancipated at 14 and worked in a saw mill 12-8am and then went straight to school.
You work hard and play even harder!!
I hope you get your RC, but it is funner if you can do it WITH someone. So get out and meet the locals, stay away from trouble and make the best out of everything you do.
Good luck lil bro and may this trip be a blessing for you.

I was already planning to do some extra side jobs, but if I get the same as here (5x €0.50 per part of the garden, ±0.1 acre) a week, that wouldn't really help much, would it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back