Notorious Before-I-Buy Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was already planning to do some extra side jobs, but if I get the same as here (5x €0.50 per part of the garden, ±0.1 acre) a week, that wouldn't really help much, would it?
Pretty sure you could get more than that mowing yards.

Many employers believe $10 an hour is a fair rate for yard work. Pay by the yard or job for a possible smaller payment. Offer $25 for mowing and trimming a large yard and $15 for trimming the bushes.

Sell all your traxass rc's. Buy you a noto. Upgrade as breaks/needed. Prioritize your funds.Noto is durable, hell of alot more than a slash i know because i had 3 at one time.Remember any rc can and will break at sum point. If i was 16 id be looking for a sugar mama🤣

😂
Apparently the average allowance in the US is 4x higher than here, so maybe I can do something with that.

The Slash will still be used, because you need at least 1 more RC for your friend(s) 😄

You can make bank mowing lawns. Me and my cousin mowed lawns in town. They must be lazy, we were making average of $25 an hour. You can charge more to weedwhack and trim hedges etc. but all you really need is a push mower. Which you can find on offerup or craigslist for cheap. Use some of the money you make to buy gas.

I know there are many reviews, and threads like this, but I still have some questions:

1. Is the Notorious "unbreakable", assuming I don't crash it (I always try to land in grass)?​
I really don't like repairing stuff that "isn't my fault" that it broke, so, for example, if I launch the Notorious and land perfectly, is the chance that it breaks near zero?
I have another RC (Slash 4x4 VXL), and as long as I land perfectly, nothing breaks. Should I expect the Notorious to be just as durable?
I don't care about breaking it when crashing, because I can prevent that without spending money: just learn to drive better.

2. Assuming I do crash it, what can it handle with few modifications (I always try to land in grass)?​
I've heard replacing the chassis braces are a must, to prevent many other parts from breaking, so assume I have upgraded braces.

3. What are must-have mods/upgrades, besides:​
  • Diff fluids
  • Chassis braces
  • Alu. servo mount?
Many people say: 'Just go full M2C', but I'm a 16 y/o without a job (can't work in the USA), so I have to do with my current money + allowance, and I also have to (read: want to) buy a new laptop and guitar. What are the absolute essentials?

4. How are all the stock electronics?​
People say the radio and receiver are good for an RTR set.
From what I've heard the servo is ok-ish, and that there are other mods to improve steering (I'll do more research after buying, as this isn't a priority).
I've heard many opinions about the motor + ESC, so how good are they for general, non-extreme skatepark use?
Should I upgrade immediately (if so, to what?), or are they sufficient? Do I need cooling (I'll be living in Portland when I buy one)?
And, is this true: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/kv-range-firma-150a.33799/ Only one person answered, and I prefer to have the opinions/knowledge of as many people as possible.

5. Will 2x 3s fit?​
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=99&product_id=641
2x 38mm > 70mm, but I've heard there is a way to make the batt. tray larger.
Otherwise, what is a good option for 2x 3s LiPo's? I need some for my 1:10, that can also be used in a Notorious.

6. How much should I expect to spend?​
Like I said, I want to be a bit careful with spending money. This is my current "buy-list":
$600 ARRMA Notorious 6s V5 (I thought it was $570?)​
$60 SMC 6s 5000 mAh​
$50 M2C/$25 EXB chassis braces (you can get a pair of EXB ones for $25 at JBI RC)​
$10 Tuning stuff​
$... A good charger​
I'll keep in mind that shock towers are a likely future upgrade, though I don't mind constantly bending them back if that means not buying a $100 M2C pair.

And, why am I getting a Notorious? Because My Slash is the complete opposite: great in a straight line, and jumps perfectly stable, but I can't even dream about letting that thing do more than half a flip. I just want something more exiting with more variety, to test the limits of my control. The Slash is "too easy" to drive, though I still love it!
From my experience the wing mount will break. Excuse the self promo but I would recommend a 3D printed option at $10-15 I’ve done it here:

also the front bumper, Arrma super bash from the EXB is much stronger.

I remember you getting your Notorious!

I think that wing mount is being sold by one of the forum members?

And sorry, if I buy a Noto for 1.5k, I wouldn't have money for spare parts :(
No joke. The wallet may scream at yu. I am not a 50 ft big air guy either. Once in a while when I am daring. 10 footers at good speed are fine for me.:LOL:
Whatever you do, don't do what Youtubers do. At least in the beginning. That costs $$$$$$$$$. YT'ers demonstrate their driving prowess largely. Many, not all of them. And they rarely talk about the $thousands they put into their out the box, $500. rigs. ;)

No joke. The wallet may scream at yu. I am not a 50 ft big air guy either. Once in a while when I am daring. 10 footers at good speed are fine for me.:LOL:
Whatever you do, don't do what Youtubers do. At least in the beginning. That costs $$$$$$$$$. YT'ers demonstrate their driving prowess largely. Many, not all of them. And they rarely talk about the $thousands they put into their out the box, $500. rigs. ;)
Agreed☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Haha

Haha, my upgrade budget is like $50 for my RC cars. Would rather have three $500 cars than one $1500 car!

Most OE parts are just fine for most. I try not to be a blind follower and Upgrade because someone else does or because I broke 'X' OE part, so the upgrade 'Y' part must be better at 10 times the price. That's merely "user error" in denial. Then Bling $$$ takes over from there. Some upgrades can be 50% and more of the price of the whole rig. Be careful with that. Its hard to put a cap on your first rig. Because upgrades are endless. Some upgrades will always be fine like Radios and electrics. When the Arrma warranty expires. Or sooner.
I have a few tricked out rigs here, don't get me wrong. However, I always have a cap per rig. I know when enough is enough. I have many rigs here. But we all have different wallets. When you have only one rig, upgrades seem appealing. You want what everyone else has. Losing site that you might spendmore $$ than the rig was worth. Trying to make something into something it is not. Better to spend on another rig. Cheaper in the long run. Some upgrades offer little performance and durability gain in the end. Just be careful what you upgrade with. Some are benefitial. The rest is because the next guy did it. And most don't want to look cheap about their rigs. If it drives fine and breaks here and there, OE parts are fine. There are distinct exceptions to this. Some are almost a prerequisite. That comes with experience and a smart wallet. We all do this differently.

Last edited:
I have settled, I have talked to more girls than boys, I have settled and I have found a bash spot, so now I am allowed to buy an ARRMA 😁.

I want to buy 1 6s and 2 3s LiPos, so I can use them in my (future) ARRMA and in my slash. I looked through the recommended LiPo thread, and found a couple of brands to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Connect...=sr_1_71?keywords=zeee&qid=1636320140&sr=8-71

They say: 50C. Is that sustained, or burst?

https://www.amazon.com/Zr-Thermomet...r_1_3?keywords=temp+gun&qid=1636335247&sr=8-3
And is this an OK temp gun? It has lots of good reviews

Last edited:
You don't have to. With a limited budget, as you related, you could buy as you break or as time and money allows.....
I will follow this, but 1 question:
Are there any parts you need to upgrade to prevent it from taking out other parts with it?
I remember seeing a review video in which the chassis brace broke, and because of that the diff case (I think) got taken out with it. Should I upgrade the chassis braces immediately, and are there any other parts I need to upgrade to avoid other ones breaking?

I will follow this, but 1 question:
Are there any parts you need to upgrade to prevent it from taking out other parts with it?
I remember seeing a review video in which the chassis brace broke, and because of that the diff case (I think) got taken out with it. Should I upgrade the chassis braces immediately, and are there any other parts I need to upgrade to avoid other ones breaking?
Looking back at the beginning of this thread, you receive several comments from others who pretty much answer this for you

I do not own a notorious, but the general indication I get is no, not really. I understand what you are saying but these rigs do you have a measure of engineering built in

Last edited:
I have settled, I have talked to more girls than boys, I have settled and I have found a bash spot, so now I am allowed to buy an ARRMA 😁.

I want to buy 1 6s and 2 3s LiPos, so I can use them in my (future) ARRMA and in my slash. I looked through the recommended LiPo thread, and found a couple of brands to look at.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Connect...=sr_1_71?keywords=zeee&qid=1636320140&sr=8-71

They say: 50C. Is that sustained, or burst?

https://www.amazon.com/Zr-Thermomet...r_1_3?keywords=temp+gun&qid=1636335247&sr=8-3
And is this an OK temp gun? It has lots of good reviews.

Usually the listed c rate on a lipo is the sustained.

Don't buy lipos primarily based on c rates, none of them are real. Pick a brand and buy the highest c rate pack they sell.

Those ZEEs are decent to get ya going. Bashing batteries hard case. Good runtimes. 2 ZEEs are almost equal to a socokin 6s single I have.

Those ZEEs are decent to get ya going. Bashing batteries hard case. Good runtimes. 2 ZEEs are almost equal to a socokin 6s single I have.
They have treated me fine for the price.....no complaints about Zee brand from me....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back