Typhon Before trying a brushless upgrade...is something else wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarrut2021

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
My first hobby-grade RC was a Mega Typhon--now I have a 3S Typhon and a Vorteks--I got last year. It worked without trouble until the kids had a skate bark bash session that did in a few things including the spur. Replaced it but it didn't last long as it turned out the motor was shot, the bushings were worn and it got all wobbly. Since then I've gone through at least 2 more motors and spurs, all having the same motor bushing failure chewing up the spur within a few battery packs, and not really serious bashing at all. I wondered if I was setting the mesh too tight, but last time I definitely did not. I'm not interested in wasting any more money on cheap motors so I figure I'll just upgrade.

But before I spend almost the cost of a new car on that, well is it possible there is something wrong with the motor mount or something else that was the real root cause of my earlier problems I need to fix too?

Thanks!

My first hobby-grade RC was a Mega Typhon--now I have a 3S Typhon and a Vorteks--I got last year. It worked without trouble until the kids had a skate bark bash session that did in a few things including the spur. Replaced it but it didn't last long as it turned out the motor was shot, the bushings were worn and it got all wobbly. Since then I've gone through at least 2 more motors and spurs, all having the same motor bushing failure chewing up the spur within a few battery packs, and not really serious bashing at all. I wondered if I was setting the mesh too tight, but last time I definitely did not. I'm not interested in wasting any more money on cheap motors so I figure I'll just upgrade.

But before I spend almost the cost of a new car on that, well is it possible there is something wrong with the motor mount or something else that was the real root cause of my earlier problems I need to fix too?

Thanks!
Check to see if the motor mount plate is bent. If it's bent it will chew through spur gear and stress the motor bearings until failure. Popular choice is the hot racing plate...little bit stronger than stock or the M2C Racing......a lot stronger than stock but $$$$. Pull the plate out and slap it on a flat surface.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured, but it's not obviously bent on a quick check. After some investigation there does seem to be a very tiny wobble in one area, so that's likely it as tiny as it is. Then the question is does adding that to everything else I need to buy(which is everything for a V3 conversion)make it totally absurd.

Well…..I have done a few mega to blx conversions and normally the blx stand alone will be cheaper. I did them because I picked up the mega units for dirt cheap. If you are going to do it go with better stuff than the blx. Meaning drop in a 120esc and a bigger motor. I used the redcat kaiju motor from Jennys. Max10sct esc from hobbywing. As a build you get to pick and that is the beauty of it.

Well…..I have done a few mega to blx conversions and normally the blx stand alone will be cheaper. I did them because I picked up the mega units for dirt cheap. If you are going to do it go with better stuff than the blx. Meaning drop in a 120esc and a bigger motor. I used the redcat kaiju motor from Jennys. Max10sct esc from hobbywing. As a build you get to pick and that is the beauty of it.
What’s your pinion size with the kaiju motor?

I only run 3s because I'm still running the old mega diffs f&r. They are larger tooth. Waiting for them to fail to replace. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back