Typhon Beginner here. Need advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey guys. Beginner here (Kinda...had a gas powered several years ago). Any tips, tricks must do upgrades? I have a typhon 6s blx. New to electric rc cars and I wanna get the most out of my car. I don’t want it so fast that I can’t control it but I would like to get more top end and acceleration. So what’s the best upgrades? Must do’s and don’ts? Thanks for any and all info

To start, put the "speed pinion" (16t, I think?) in the car. That will give the car a good bump of pep. If that is still not enough, then go 6s. Watch the temps on 6s, and adjust pinion as needed to keep the motor within temp limits. Also, be warned, 6s is hard on tires, not many off-road buggy tires are made for that speed.

I started my Arrma collection off with a Typhon. Great buggy if you ask me. The first day I bought it, I un-boxed it at the track and ran it silly. Later on....I left the 14th tooth pinion in mine, Put 10k diff fluid in the center diff, put a 6s battery in it, adjusted the droop screws and set the suspension sag with the tekno orange buggy springs. For the track mine does great on 4s, on 6s its just silly!

Just a few weeks ago rebuilt the front diff with 5k fluid. Put V3 shocks and standoffs on it, Voltage hobbies front and rear shock towers and servo mount, Hot racing front and rear chassis braces and hot racing motor mount and front center diff mount. I just recently upgraded the steering servo even tho the stock one was still hanging in there.

The choices on what you can do and how much you wanna dump into your toy is purely up to you. For me, mine ran great out of the box. And depending on what you wanna do, is what you will mod.

Oh! and welcome to the forum!

Like Dale, I started off with the Typhon as well. I would agree with the speed pinion, but recommend adding motor fans, especially if your going to be off road in grass. It will heat up quick otherwise. A fun thing to do is change the punch settings on your ESC. It's really easy to do as well. (Page 27 of your manual, or any youtube video) Now on 6S there was a huge problem with wheelies, and melting off the front tires. At one point a couple runs per set, and that was unacceptable to me. So I read a bunch here, and changed the fluid in all three diffs. 60k in the front 100k center, and 20k rear. That made all the difference in the world. It will still lift the front end a bit, but it no longer pancakes out those front tires.

Last week the steering servo went out, so that got replaced with a faster higher torque servo. Liking that quite a bit, but never really thought the stock one was bad. Other than a few Hot Racing strengthening parts, the rest is stock, and it's a animal! It's overall quality is fantastic for a RTR. Enjoy it!

Welcome aboard!

upgrade your bearings to some nice sealed ones. And change your diff fluids. Maybe some stiffer springs as well.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will definitely be doing these upgrades! So what’s the deal with the diff fluids? Does it really make that big of a difference and how do I go about doing it? I also just bought a hpi flux buggy that me and my little boy play together with. He liked mine so much he had to have one too lol

I understand about your son "Needing" one too!

This is a great article on differential fluids. https://www.myrcbox.com/articles/tech-article-diff-tuning-guide-for-buggy-and-truggy/

This video shows you how to add shims and fill your differentials
you can do the drill bit method for pins or just get some replacement pins as needed. https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-2.25x9.8mm-pin-6-ara310440/p409430

Id kinda rather bust a pin, than something else, but the choice is yours on your rebuild.

In this post on here https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/shims.7018/#post-68154, I have the listed what shims and orings you will need for your rebuild. The problem is finding the parts at this time.

If your Typhon does not have that much run time on it, you can pull the diffs apart, clean, and refill with your choice of fluid and add shims as needed. You may need some new gaskets as well. https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-differential-gasket-3-ara310444/p409431

I’m gonna go to the local hobby store here and buy a few things for them. What parts do I always need to have a spare for? What things break the most?

Shock shafts are the only part I've had to replace.
Covered wheel nuts are a nice upgrade to keep dirt out and protects the threads on the hub.

Ok guys I just ordered some parts for my typhon. Gonna go with 6s and a higher pinion. Any tips on tires? Going to go ahead and get another set. What holds up better? I’m looking at the lockup c2 which is what I already have on it but seeing in y’all have any better ideas. I don’t wanna be gluing my tires back on every 5 minutes lol.

What kind of driving do you do mostly. That will determine alot of the choices for tires. Are you a basher,speed run guy or double you race are you looking for a all around tire.

I changed 4 brass bushings (AR340067) with bearings in the Servo Saver of my talion v2, think its the most overlooked upgrade imo, Not sure if thats upgraded in the v3 version. Shimmed the diffs.. changed diff fluid in front middle and rear, rpm skid plates rear and front, shock oil coming next, just need a desent day out with the truck before i deside, also upgrade chassies bracers with alu ones

Last edited:
Basher mostly lol. I’m probably not gonna be racing it much. Just want something fast and fun. Mostly dirt. Want something fast and fun but not tear up all the time and to hold up to running 6s

Basher mostly lol. I’m probably not gonna be racing it much. Just want something fast and fun. Mostly dirt. Want something fast and fun but not tear up all the time and to hold up to running 6s

The shockwaves are a good tire I used to run them till I switched all my rigs to 3.8s.

I changed 4 brass bushings (AR340067) with bearings in the Servo Saver of my talion v2, think its the most overlooked upgrade imo, Not sure if thats upgraded in the v3 version. Shimmed the diffs.. changed diff fluid in front middle and rear, rpm skid plates rear and front, shock oil coming next, just need a desent day out with the truck before i deside, also upgrade chassies bracers with alu ones
Latest versions still use the brass bushings but if you purchase a Fast Eddy bearing kit they have 4 of the bearings included with the kit that do away with the factory bushings

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back