Typhon Beginner Typhon 6s Racing Tips/Upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfx450r

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Beginner Tips/upgrades?
Just bought a new Typhon 6s v5, had a traxxas rustler 3s before so not entirely ignorant about rc cars but is there anything specific to the typhon people can’t live without? I’ve already changed the diff oil with 100k/center, 50k/front/rear.

but other than that zero complaints, have a 6s battery and it’s insanely fun. Even after pinning the throttle nonstop motor never went above 90F, my rustler on 3s would easily hit 140-150

there is a rc clay track less than 5 miles from my house and they only have 1/8 buggy racing classes which is why I swapped my rustler for this. Is there anything one would need to know to race this buggy?

As an entry level buggy its fine. Buggy racing 4s lipo. Tires 70% in racing. Go to the track talk to the fast guys. If you like it buy a race buggy kit and build it. The biggest thing is to have fun.

As an entry level buggy its fine. Buggy racing 4s lipo. Tires 70% in racing. Go to the track talk to the fast guys. If you like it buy a race buggy kit and build it. The biggest thing is to have fun.
"Tires 70% in racing"... not sure I understand what this means. 70% of the strategy is tires?

I believe what revo is saying is having the right tires for the surface you are running on is 70% of the battle

My favorite item I have purchased for my Typhon 6S V5 is an adjustable motor mount https://practicalproto.com/collections/things-to-buy/products/v4mount
I also purchased the diff mount and cover/cap from PPS as well

A front and rear center brace would be my second purchase
You have to flip the top plate and buy a larger screw for the front brace

Yah I def realize it’s a beginner intro buggy and not comparable to what the guys at the track race, also know that for racing 4s is what’s needed. Aside from that I notice the steering pulls to one side or another a lot, Is There a way to fine tune the steering and set it so it doesn’t constantly need trim adjustment?
I believe what revo is saying is having the right tires for the surface you are running on is 70% of the battle

My favorite item I have purchased for my Typhon 6S V5 is an adjustable motor mount https://practicalproto.com/collections/things-to-buy/products/v4mount
I also purchased the diff mount and cover/cap from PPS as well

I totally can see what he means. The only time I’ve messed around on the track (it’s outdoor clay) it was bone dry and I kept spinning out and doing 360s....I’m currently looking into what tires would suit the track

Just to throw it out there I did a enough research to know what the local track guys run but I’m still a newbie to the racing scene and wanted a complete RTR buggy and not have to build something, and the price is pretty good all things considered. But it’s just a light hobby for me, something to do on the weekends with the kids

What tires would you recommend? I’ve read proline hole shots are good. And generally I’ve learned that broad tread pattern (lots of little knobbies) is what most people run
That is what they all say for the first month or so :LOL:
Haha truth, I just meant compared to the guys at the track that pull up with an enclosed trailer full of rc cars and parts lol

Here is the truth about any rc racing. Practice practice and more practice. Lots of money in rc. Car hauler for 20', for a 7lb rc car.

There are some days that you will be discourage. Practice makes perfect.

You can make the car very competitive, most changes involves reducing weight. easiest modification i would recommend is moving to a (cheap or expensive) 4068 motor. it reduces 100g from the rear of the car.

Also move to a lighter diff fluids, something like 10-10-7.
The stock braces are completely fine for track style jumps IMO

Back