Kraton Belted monster truck tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
Hey guys, I am in the process of getting a RC tire manufacturer to build a tire similar to proline badlands but belted to prevent ballooning. Not like SRC trenchers. STC are too low profile and have horrible traction. Problem is I would have to buy at least 3000 wheel and tire combos. Before I go any further, how many of you would be willing to spend around $90.00 on a set of 4? Early testing shows tires can handle at least 81mph without ballooning, Great traction also. Investors welcomed. What would make the perfect tire? Input welcomed.

Hey guys, I am in the process of getting a RC tire manufacturer to build a tire similar to proline badlands but belted to prevent ballooning. Not like SRC trenchers. STC are too low profile and have horrible traction. Problem is I would have to buy at least 3000 wheel and tire combos. Before I go any further, how many of you would be willing to spend around $90.00 on a set of 4? Early testing shows tires can handle at least 81mph without ballooning, Great traction also. Investors welcomed. What would make the perfect tire? Input welcomed.

I'll play Devils Advocate. I'm really not trying to sound like a douche, but that's a lot of money to invest. Have, for example, you spoken to the likes of Tower Hobbies to ask how many wheels/tyres (Badlands Style) they sell in a year? Have you got a prototype you can show them to get an order before you start ramping up manufacturing?

Whilst it is a good idea, and there is demand in the market, I just think it will take you a long time to shift 3000 units. I would try to get 100 units manufactured, persuade the major hobby stores to stock maybe 20 units of them each, then see how they sell and if they come back asking for more. That way you don't have 3000 units around and loads invested.

People on here, myself included, will all say this is a great idea. But get the numbers right and the orders booked before you invest all that money. It's a niche market, so really be careful.

P.s. I would look instead at selling a "do it yourself" kit with all the glue, tape, different sizes of belting, etc., and some really great instructions/YouTube videos, that people could buy to belt their own Badlands or other wheels. Less money invested - you can probably place a much smaller initial order, or even buy all the items separately and put the kit together yourself in the beginning.

I'll play Devils Advocate. I'm really not trying to sound like a douche, but that's a lot of money to invest. Have, for example, you spoken to the likes of Tower Hobbies to ask how many wheels/tyres (Badlands Style) they sell in a year? Have you got a prototype you can show them to get an order before you start ramping up manufacturing?

Whilst it is a good idea, and there is demand in the market, I just think it will take you a long time to shift 3000 units. I would try to get 100 units manufactured, persuade the major hobby stores to stock maybe 20 units of them each, then see how they sell and if they come back asking for more. That way you don't have 3000 units around and loads invested.

People on here, myself included, will all say this is a great idea. But get the numbers right and the orders booked before you invest all that money. It's a niche market, so really be careful.

P.s. I would look instead at selling a "do it yourself" kit with all the glue, tape, different sizes of belting, etc., and some really great instructions/YouTube videos, that people could buy to belt their own Badlands or other wheels. Less money invested - you can probably place a much smaller initial order, or even buy all the items separately and put the kit together yourself in the beginning.
Good advice, they say I will have to commit to 3000. But before I do, I'll talk to a few distributors.

I've never seen a big beefy belted monster RC tire sold off the shelf, I've only seen low profile belted tires. I think it's a good idea. I've seen people threading fishing line through Badlands for belting....That's a good size tire to belt. Their vehicles were fast 1 /8 scale off-road buggies (over 60 mph) . Major grass shredders ..I think it's a small niche also but I like it. I know people in the RC tire industry...I could ask them what they thought about it.

I think a belted MT tire would weigh a ton. I suspect that's why it doesn't already exist
Very little weight will be added, Actually less weight than taping the tires. Basically we are impregnating the tires with braded fishing line.

Very little weight will be added, Actually less weight than taping the tires. Basically we are impregnating the tires with braded fishing line.

Is there any way to do this to an existing tyre, rather than impregnating it? Or is there a benefit to doing it that way?

Is there any way to do this to an existing tyre, rather than impregnating it? Or is there a benefit to doing it that way?
Good question, Benefits are, It will never fail, It will last until the tire is worn out. Yes, you can do this yourself but it may fail. I have done this for testing without any failures yet, but I need to run for a little longer before I endorse my method. If you want to try it yourself, Here you go. Turn tires inside out, Clean with alcohol, Spray inside of tire with (3M spray trim adhesive) Make several wraps with 80lb braided fishing line then spray again with spray trim adhesive. Sprinkle with a little talcum powder to prevent foam from sticking to glue. Glue tire to wheel and have fun.

Good question, Benefits are, It will never fail, It will last until the tire is worn out. Yes, you can do this yourself but it may fail. I have done this for testing without any failures yet, but I need to run for a little longer before I endorse my method. If you want to try it yourself, Here you go. Turn tires inside out, Clean with alcohol, Spray inside of tire with (3M spray trim adhesive) Make several wraps with 80lb braided fishing line then spray again with spray trim adhesive. Sprinkle with a little talcum powder to prevent foam from sticking to glue. Glue tire to wheel and have fun.

I wonder if you could create a tool that cuts a very thin, very shallow channel that you can then insert the fishing line into and then put some type of rubber compound into and smooth off. That way the wire would actually be in the tyre - don't really know if that would be any benefit over your current system.

Honestly if someone sold a kit with everything I need, and it has some kick ass branding, and some professionally recorded videos of how to do it on multiple tyres, I would buy it so long as it wasn't too expensive just for the convenience factor.

Also, are you running the wire straight, or have you tried zig-zag patterns, a combination of both, etc? Don't know if it makes any difference but would be interesting to test.

I wonder if you could create a tool that cuts a very thin, very shallow channel that you can then insert the fishing line into and then put some type of rubber compound into and smooth off. That way the wire would actually be in the tyre - don't really know if that would be any benefit over your current system.

Honestly if someone sold a kit with everything I need, and it has some kick ass branding, and some professionally recorded videos of how to do it on multiple tyres, I would buy it so long as it wasn't too expensive just for the convenience factor.

Also, are you running the wire straight, or have you tried zig-zag patterns, a combination of both, etc? Don't know if it makes any difference but would be interesting to test.
Only if straight lines, tried zig zag, that allows too much tires expansion. I don't use wire, 80lb braided fishing line.

I've seen people thread the fishing line through the tires with a needle.

I just ran this all past an rc tire designer on Facebook (private message) . He does crawler tires but knows many people in the rc industry. He may reply. If not... no big deal.

Last edited:
I've seen people thread the fishing line through the tires with a needle.

I just ran this all past an rc tire designer on Facebook (private message) . He does crawler tires but knows many people in the rc industry. He may reply. If not... no big deal.
Hopefully he will build this tire and save me the investment

PBTPB9004KKSC-4.jpg
IMG_0294.PNG
IMG_0293.PNG
Ok guys... I got the reply back from Pitbull rc tires. Their Rockbeast XL tire.... they say that pushes the envelope of the rc monster truck. They sent pics and video. I didn't have time to research it more but here are pictures they sent. After the holiday, I can probably have a guy get me a set, then I can look more into it. These big xl scale tires seem to act more like real tires rather than traditional rc tires. They are more like a real tire rather than a moon tire. Unlike badlands and Backflips are. I don't think scale xl's will be back flipping easy but they will probably handle speed better. They have a webbing molded around the inside diameter called ZipTrak.

"We've done our best to restrict ballooning using our ZipTrakTM Technology. What's that you ask? Inside ribbing just underside the tread area designed to help belt and strengthen. It also helps to hold the foam in place to prevent slippage"

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/201...-beast-xl-3-8-scale-rc-tires-with-foam-video/

I myself rely on the moon tires to absorb big hits etc....Question is, how do these scale tires handle that. you might have to tune the suspension different. Maybe one tire does it all...or it doesn't. I still need to see how these Backflips handle my Kraton. I hear that they don't balloon much. I may even go back to the 3.8 Badland's. Who knows....I'll still try anything if it sounds promising. When I go to pick up my parts from the local rc shop...I'll ask about the Pit Bull's. The RC shop near me is very extreme with the 1/8 scale monster basher type of vehicles. When you ask...they know the answers. Awesome shop.

Last edited:
Here is another concept I started on. Took an old tire and sprayed inside with spray trim adhesive, Then cut proper length and sprayed tape also, Then apply to tire just like gorilla tape, Turned tire back to normal and started pressing tape to flat, used a hair drier to get glue to set. At this point I cannot peel tape off tire. I think I'm going to do a complete set and test.
IMG_6947[1].JPG
IMG_6948[1].JPG
IMG_6948[1].JPG
IMG_6947[1].JPG

People have been doing that for years. But that looks like it holds well. Some methods are better than others.

I talked to Pitbull again today, they said their Rockbeast xl is specifically designed around the... go fast monster trucks. It has only been out around 1 year. I don't think they have the advertisement in our world. They are more into real tires and rc rock crawling. I never realized they ever designed a tire for a fast monster. I think they did it for the Yeti XL. I'll defiantly take a look at these tires.

Who knows what's inside those Backflips.... they sure are beefy !!!

Last edited:
After I blew a paddle tire on my BL Baja 5b, I bought another set, and used the drywall tape and shoo goo inside the tire. They have held up good, and haven't exploded one yet.

I messaged SRC about making a belted like proline badlamds or even the current all terrain with knobby style..no response....

Doing the fishing line,or o ring, rubber cement and line inside is getting old...I figured SRC would be all over this. Their tires are so durable throw sum off road pattern on them or taller sidewall ,and they would sell...

Pit Bull has a tire for the Yeti XL that was designed for a speed monster. It has webbing inside it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back