Kraton Belted or non belted tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bread1267

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Been running my Kraton for a good couple months now and I like the tires on it and I ended up ruining them due to water and mud/dirt in getting inside of them. Anyways... Has anyone ran belted tires on any of their models? I heard somewhere that belted tires slow down the model compared to non-belted. I was looking at proline badlands belted but I am not sure at this point what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Belted obviously cost considerably more.
They are always heavier than most non belted. Some don't have the best traction because the tread areas are firm (lined with belts) so the tread doesn't contour with rough terrain well. These are my general feelings in regard.
Belted don't balloon, being the main advantage.
I would make sure your drivetrain can handle a heavier tire than what is stock. Could even cause heat issues if they are very heavy. And some are really heavy. Search around AF. There are many threads in regards to belted and regular tires and how much they weighed out to.
But definitely give Belted a try if your wallet allows and you want to see for your self.
I have SR Terrain crushers 1(/8 wheels). For me they aren't the best in the dirt. For speed running they are great on pavement.
I like BF Lp's that are non belted for the dirt.( 4x4 OC tires.)

Been running my Kraton for a good couple months now and I like the tires on it and I ended up ruining them due to water and mud/dirt in getting inside of them. Anyways... Has anyone ran belted tires on any of their models? I heard somewhere that belted tires slow down the model compared to non-belted. I was looking at proline badlands belted but I am not sure at this point what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
it definitely slowed down my Granite i bought the Duratrax Six Pack MT not a huge deal breaker the tires are good all terrain tires and it looks like they will last me a while but no doubt they slowed me down a bit, not sure if you will feel it if you have a 6s or 8S Kraton but for the 3s line Yes
it definitely slowed down my Granite i bought the Duratrax Six Pack MT not a huge deal breaker the tires are good all terrain tires and it looks like they will last me a while but no doubt they slowed me down a bit, not sure if you will feel it if you have a 6s or 8S Kraton but for the 3s line Yes

Attachments

• tempImageiWSQq6.png
    tempImageiWSQq6.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 141
I had the belted Badlands 3.8 on outcast (now they are on my dad's Kraton). They are nice but they are damn heavy. I agree with SRC the outcast 4s tires (backflip LP) are pretty sweet. That's what I run now. There are things you can do to "belt" the tire on the exterior. I run in dirt and grass and just for the fun of experimentation I threw some zip ties around the tires. Honestly expected them to rip off on the first run but they didn't! So we will see how long they last. Other people glue Kevlar bands around the tires. Do you know about sealing your wheel holes and making holes in your tires to avoid the water/dirt getting inside issue?

I had the belted Badlands 3.8 on outcast (now they are on my dad's Kraton). They are nice but they are damn heavy. I agree with SRC the outcast 4s tires (backflip LP) are pretty sweet. That's what I run now. There are things you can do to "belt" the tire on the exterior. I run in dirt and grass and just for the fun of experimentation I threw some zip ties around the tires. Honestly expected them to rip off on the first run but they didn't! So we will see how long they last. Other people glue Kevlar bands around the tires. Do you know about sealing your wheel holes and making holes in your tires to avoid the water/dirt getting inside issue?
I drilled holes in my tires but left the the holes in the rim exposed(didn't tape over the holes). Water got into that as well as dirt and ruined the foam inside. Taking of the glue was impossible and I ended up ruining the tires.

Depends on your goals. If you need to get above 60mph, belted tires will help a lot. But so will truggy or buggy tires. They have less sidewall and mass.

Depends on your goals. If you need to get above 60mph, belted tires will help a lot. But so will truggy or buggy tires. They have less sidewall and mass.
^^^Excellent point.
I find that I like Low profile tires much better. Truggy Track pins balloon so much less because of this. And they tend to be very light for their size and mass. I find my favorite 6s tires are the Badland 3.8 standard size (Not the MX38's), the BF Lp's and Duratrax X-cons (zero offset)
Badlands are softer and stickier rubber than the BF Lp's.. The X-Cons are in a class by themselves. Drives more like a track rig.
If ballooning becomes a problem where you are bricking tires, best to tune your diffs first.

I like the backflip MT's (larger OD) wrapped with kevlar cored cord the best. The only belted tires I tried were SRC terrain crushers and I spun a hex in those on 4S. I ran trencher 3.8's wrapped before, but the extra weight of them causes more heat and diff issues. I'll likely get another set of the backflip MT's at some point for my ERBEv2. I run wrapped trencher 3.8's on it now, but it does put a strain on things. The backflips are similar OD, a little narrower and a lot lighter.

I have a tire weight list here that I try to keep up to date as people tell me:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tire-weight-list.15771/

Well to start you got way to big of a tire on that little truck ctfu it's a wonder if u have and diffs left you got 3.8 mt tire their like light 1/5 scale tires on a 10th scale truck dude looks silly but hey if u like it why not it's your money u throwing away so do it....heads up u need the next size down you should of had the six pack st not mt the st is more of a heavy 1/10 scale or full 1/8th scale heads up I no this is old but a lot off ppl still read this so I just want to put that out in the rc universe!!!!!good luck to u and them poor diffs 😁

I ran belted trenchers on my outcast for a long time, was pretty cool and made it feel very monster truckish... Bigger diameter so it was actually faster top end, but slower response off the line.

Be ware bigger tire and more mass equals more stress on the Diffs, one of the few times I snapped a tooth on an EXB diff was on these!

If you can get some smaller belted it would be the ultimate combo!!

20210213_004803.jpg
20210214_170607.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back