Belted Tires-Probably a stupid question -venting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d go ahead and do it. Reason being is because the tires need some sort of venting, but the rim vents just suck up sand and water that will never come out again and just create a huge imbalance. (Definitely need tape over that) I don’t know how to avoid the belts when drilling though ?

I’d go ahead and do it. Reason being is because the tires need some sort of venting, but the rim vents just suck up sand and water that will never come out again and just create a huge imbalance. (Definitely need tape over that) I don’t know how to avoid the belts when drilling though ?
Ya I'm going to wait to find out for sure thanks.

I drive well below the tire limits (not sure what it is though ?); unvented and taped the rims. No mud and water in my wheels!
if you go for high speed I would vent the wheels though.

I drive well below the tire limits (not sure what it is though ?); unvented and taped the rims. No mud and water in my wheels!
if you go for high speed I would vent the wheels though.
I want to run my 29t pinion and do a cpl speed runs with my fpv but I want to make sure I do things properly and I used the belted tires twice so they haven't been sealed or vented and I'm wondering if I should. I don't want to wreck 130 dollar tires by drilling holes in them if you aren't supposed to.

29T pinion? Any idea what speed you get with that in the Noto? You can get an idea when googling rc speed calculator.
I suggest you check it, too much speed and you will destroy your tires if you don’t vent them!

Yes, vent the belted tires. Just make it a clean hole and not a hack job. For higher speed, do it on opposite sides for balancing.
GRP's are belted and come with venting holes from the factory.

Good question though on which tire you are using and what speeds do you expect?

Yes, vent the belted tires. Just make it a clean hole and not a hack job. For higher speed, do it on opposite sides for balancing.
GRP's are belted and come with venting holes from the factory.

Good question though on which tire you are using and what speeds do you expect?
Don't know what speed just having some fun, and proline belted street tires, I can't remember what ones I'll have to look at them when I get home.

I belted my Backflip LPs with Gorilla tape wrapped inside. I ran them for a while having taped the rim holes but not vented the tyres. They ran fine with no ballooning whatsoever, but they did have a bounce to them that made my Noto a little too lively

Because of this I vented them with two holes in each tyre afterwards with 3/16" copper tubing. This got rid of the bounce, although now they balloon very slightly as a result. They haven't become unbalanced either ?

I have an outcast 8s and recently put on a set of the power hobby scorpion xl's (belted) I did not seal the holes or vent and like an idiot i ran it in a big puddle repeatedly on one of my runs. Now they are CRAZY unbalanced. wobbling all over the place. they have probably been that way for a week or so. is it too late to vent them? Are they ruined now, or can i still vent them and will they recover? I feel like an idiot for not at least taping the wheels. Because i have never vented before, I did the first attempt of it on my 3.8 trenchers on my mojave yesterday. Seemed successful. I guess i have nothing to lose by doing it on my scorpions as they are already wobbling like crazy. Can they be saved?

I have an outcast 8s and recently put on a set of the power hobby scorpion xl's (belted) I did not seal the holes or vent and like an idiot i ran it in a big puddle repeatedly on one of my runs. Now they are CRAZY unbalanced. wobbling all over the place. they have probably been that way for a week or so. is it too late to vent them? Are they ruined now, or can i still vent them and will they recover? I feel like an idiot for not at least taping the wheels. Because i have never vented before, I did the first attempt of it on my 3.8 trenchers on my mojave yesterday. Seemed successful. I guess i have nothing to lose by doing it on my scorpions as they are already wobbling like crazy. Can they be saved?
No harm in trying it! Tape the rim holes and vent the tyres. The foams are probably still damp!

I've heard not to as you can break the belts and damage the tires. I think someone may have also suggested venting the sidewall so your not damaging the belts. Again not ? but I believe this was some input I had seen about venting belted tires on the forum....

Meh, I'd put a hole in them. lol!

If you do put a couple holes in them, take it somewhere flat and slowly ramp up the speed to get the water to work it's way to the outside of the tire. It should smooth out for you after a few medium speed passes, then you can get it up to high speeds to really wring them out.

When i first got into the hobby. That was my first lesson i learned the hard way..lol
I didn't know about belted though. So thank you

Never vent Belted tires!!
Leave as is!
You will compromise the belts guaranteed. (n)(n) Get blowouts. (Little if any advantage at all) Belted don't balloon like non belted. Venting is for controlling inevitable ballooning evenly. Some say will balloon less if vented. I disagree. Does not prevent it. Also venting non beleted tires at the tread keeps water and dirt ingress at bay. Foams last longer.

Some belted tires are vented already if you look closely. Sometimes at the inner wheel and sometimes at the tread. Leave as is.
FWIW, I always balance all my wheels, Off and On road. Another topic altogether.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back