Belting MX28 Badlands - Has anyone done it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
(Just to be clear this is about belting some non-belted Badlands.)

I got a pair of MX28 Badlands for my Granite. I think they are great but boy can they balloon. Using some Kevlar line, I want to see if I can belt them myself to reign in the ballooning.

For those of you who have belted these tires, my question is did you do a line down the middle or 2 just along side the center lugs? Just wondering if anyone has experience belting these and if either of those spots would have better results.

D687F3A0-7B4C-4171-95D4-EA110EEFC00E.jpeg

Like this where I put the lines

I used a weakish Kevlar and it broke letting one tire blow out. My 6s Kraton. Then I tried thicker. Same result.
Make sure to use Very thick Kevlar line/rope. Several wraps. But not Too much. I think that works against you. If on sharp rocky Terrain, the kevlar can cut itself apart or it may be a slow demise or quick as the twines get shredded., then at full load a tire will let go. Then you have to remove all the kevlar from the other tires to continue bashing, or swap out the whole set tires. Been there. Double knot well and and use drop of CA on the knots afterwards. Trim excess from the knot. U May have good results. But I have not. trial and error I guess. I gave up on wrapping them. I just run plain Truggy Track pins on my most of 6s rigs. Duratrax X-Cons as of late. Better results, much less ballooning. Never got a blow out yet. I wont run them on pavemnent though. Wear out in a flash.
I try to control ballooning with a combination of better driver input, lower Punch settings (finding that sweet spot), and a good Diff oil setup.
All Unbeleted tries will balloon somewhat. And in a way I feel is part of the driving experience. Not a fan of belted tires in Off road use. I work with ballooning. Depends how you bash though. Just me.

Last edited:
View attachment 168490
Like this where I put the lines
That’s what I was picturing, so thank you. I know from when we talked about belting before you mentioned you just wrapped the line and put some glue, no tying. Did you do it alone or have help? I’m trying to figure out how I will hold the line tight and dab on some glue. :)
I used a weakish Kevlar and it broke letting one tire blow out. My 6s Kraton. Then I tried thicker. Same result.
Make sure to use Very thick Kevlar line/rope. Several wraps. But not Too much. I think that works against you. If on sharp rocky Terrain, the kevlar can cut itself apart or it may be a slow demise or quick as the twines get shredded., then at full load a tire will let go. Then you have to remove all the kevlar from the other tires to continue bashing, or swap out the whole set tires. Been there. Double knot well and and use drop of CA on the knots afterwards. Trim excess from the knot. U May have good results. But I have not. trial and error I guess. I gave up on wrapping them. I just run plain Truggy Track pins on my most of 6s rigs. Duratrax X-Cons as of late. Better results, much less ballooning. Never got a blow out yet. I wont run them on pavemnent though. Wear out in a flash.
I try to control ballooning with a combination of better driver input, lower Punch settings (finding that sweet spot), and a good Diff oil setup.
All Unbeleted tries will balloon somewhat. And in a way I feel is part of the driving experience. Not a fan of belted tires in Off road use. I work with ballooning. Depends how you bash though. Just me.

I got these strictly for off-roading, dirt tracks, and when I want to do flips and such. I tried them yesterday at home with a ramp I built and was practicing some back flips. (Something I am still very new too.) The thing was, when I was using the throttle in the air to adjust my rotation, these just balloon so bad. It could definitely just be me and how I I use the throttle But I figured that extensive ballooning that bad can’t be good for the tires. I did vent them but that didn’t help as much as I hoped. So I was thinking of trying to belt them. I already have the supplies so don’t need to buy anything.

Slightly off topic but changing diff oil requires opening up the diff itself correct? I only ask as that Is something I have not yet done. At this point the diffs are about the only thing left for me to take apart.

Last edited:
(Just to be clear this is about belting some non-belted Badlands.)

I got a pair of MX28 Badlands for my Granite. I think they are great but boy can they balloon. Using some Kevlar line, I want to see if I can belt them myself to reign in the ballooning.

For those of you who have belted these tires, my question is did you do a line down the middle or 2 just along side the center lugs? Just wondering if anyone has experience belting these and if either of those spots would have better results.

I am using the belted MX28 HP and NO ballooning at all...not sure if you saw Rich Duperdash video....no ballooning. I have them on my Losi DB Pro running 3S like these over the SC tires 2.2 that balloon....none! I also placed them on my Big Rock BLX and they are about the same size as the stock BR tires and no ballooning on 3S and using a 17T pinon vs 15T stock... Do not need to glue anything to them from my experience run as is....props to Proline on an excellent build I agree with Rich D.

Losi belted MX
1631397938881.png

Big Rock for last bash....sorry for the dirt pic I do like to clean then before pics :)
1631397992461.png

YES to this:

Slightly off topic but changing diff oil requires opening up the diff itself correct? I only ask as that Is something I have not yet done. At this point the diffs are about the only thing left for me to take apart.

I am using the belted MX28 HP and NO ballooning at all...not sure if you saw Rich Duperdash video....no ballooning. I have them on my Losi DB Pro running 3S like these over the SC tires 2.2 that balloon....none! I also placed them on my Big Rock BLX and they are about the same size as the stock BR tires and no ballooning on 3S and using a 17T pinon vs 15T stock... Do not need to glue anything to them from my experience run as is....props to Proline on an excellent build I agree with Rich D.

Losi belted MX
View attachment 168644

Big Rock for last bash....sorry for the dirt pic I do like to clean then before pics :)
View attachment 168645

YES to this:

Appreciate the Input. What does HP stand for?

I know the Belted Badlanda don’t balloon but I don’t like that they are smaller. (Narrower.) I bought These and am committed to them now. I don’t want to spend another $90 on more Proline tires.

When I want to do speed runs without ballooning I have mg Duratrax belted for that. :)

That’s what I was picturing, so thank you. I know from when we talked about belting before you mentioned you just wrapped the line and put some glue, no tying. Did you do it alone or have help? I’m trying to figure out how I will hold the line tight and dab on some glue. :)

I got these strictly for off-roading, dirt tracks, and when I want to do flips and such. I tried them yesterday at home with a ramp I built and was practicing some back flips. (Something I am still very new too.) The thing was, when I was using the throttle in the air to adjust my rotation, these just balloon so bad. It could definitely just be me and how I I use the throttle But I figured that extensive ballooning that bad can’t be good for the tires. I did vent them but that didn’t help as much as I hoped. So I was thinking of trying to belt them. I already have the supplies so don’t need to buy anything.

Yeah I did it alone, I just held the end with one finger and wrapped it around and once you overlap it then you can get it tight. I wrapped it like 3 times. Cut it where the other end was and covered that spot in glue. It doesn't have to be super tight, just needs to be in those channels between tread. Even if it's a little loose the glue will hold it and it won't allow the tire to expand.

Losi belted MX
View attachment 168644

View attachment 168645

YES to this:

I got those tires for my typhon 6s awhile back and I couldn't stand them. The grip was terrible compared to the wrapped non belted. On 3s I could see them possibly working but I would still prefer the other option any day

I know the Belted Badlanda don’t balloon but I don’t like that they are smaller. (Narrower.) I bought These and am committed to them now. I don’t want to spend another $90 on more Proline tires.

When I want to do speed runs without ballooning I have mg Duratrax belted for that. :)

I'm not 100% I think it stands for High-Performance. I agree with you on the narrow look why I have the belt Trenchers...I do like a wide tire for a truck...so if I do not want to do fast maneuvers I do the Trenchers.... turns and open field track racing the MX allows fast turns...with good grip on 3S

Best if on a solution...

Yeah I did it alone, I just held the end with one finger and wrapped it around and once you overlap it then you can get it tight. I wrapped it like 3 times. Cut it where the other end was and covered that spot in glue. It doesn't have to be super tight, just needs to be in those channels between tread. Even if it's a little loose the glue will hold it and it won't allow the tire to expand.

I got those tires for my typhon 6s awhile back and I couldn't stand them. The grip was terrible compared to the wrapped non belted. On 3s I could see them possibly working but I would still prefer the other option any day

I do not have a 6S 4x4 but I hear ya friend.... Rich Duperdash kills it on his rig on the video posted...looks like the tires did not miss a beat... :)

I'm not 100% I think it stands for High-Performance. I agree with you on the narrow look why I have the belt Trenchers...I do like a wide tire for a truck...so if I do not want to do fast maneuvers I do the Trenchers.... turns and open field track racing the MX allows fast turns...with good grip on 3S

Best if on a solution...

I do not have a 6S 4x4 but I hear ya friend.... Rich Duperdash kills it on his rig on the video posted...looks like the tires did not miss a beat... :)
Duperbash runs a different surface than I do as well so that does make a difference. But his all time favorite rig is the truggified typhon which has the non belted tires on it. I guess we will see what he continues to run but there is absolutely no questioning that the non belted have more grip. It's a bigger tire with much more knobby tread. He also makes everything look great because he's a very good driver, and he is sponsored

Just a quick update. Wrapped 2 of my tires last night and tried them out today. Couldn’t be happier with the results! Ran great, ballooning totally under control now.

For my belting I wrapped the Kevlar line twice and single tied the end (no knot.). I put glue at 4 cardinal points. It’s holding nicely. I think the Badlands have ideal locations between the lugs for belting

Appreciate the help on this topic.

Gonna do my remaining tires today.

A2113C13-61B1-4039-864B-FFE4D4AED4E0.jpeg

Since you got premounts it would be a pain, but if you boil the tires (or use whatever method you favor) to remove them, belt them yourself internally instead of wrapping them on the outside, and re-glue them you‘ll get a lot more reliability out of them with no ballooning. There are some great YouTube videos on how to do it and a lot of people get surprisingly long term reliability out of them. You’ll have to balance them for speed runs if you take that route, but most don’t for just bashing.

Thicker dif oil all around will help with out of control ballooning. Stock oils are just too thin and the factory rarely fills them up enough

Thicker dif oil all around will help with out of control ballooning. Stock oils are just too thin and the factory rarely fills them up enough
I don’t know much about changing or filling diff oil. How far apart do you have to take things apart to change the oil anyway?

I had no idea diff oil affected ballooning. First time I’ve heard that!

By changing to heavier diff fluid, especially in the center diff, you slow the effect of WOT, making the ballooning more manageable. If you have belted tires this isn’t an issue. Not much of an issue anyway, unless you’re doing speed runs. Bashing is fine, ballooning is expected to a degree,but if you’re getting huge air a little more so if you want to control the landing. Most times when under throttle with the shiny side up you’re ok. I believe a lot of people overthink this.

The MX28s balloon like something in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I tried lashing in some belting with 20-lb spun fishing line (for squid) and that didn't last a minute. Braided line or monofilament is probably the way to go. I plan to try again when I find some better line. I honestly cheaped-out on getting the belted tires when I bought them because I'd already spent enough that month. Oops.

The MX28s balloon like something in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I tried lashing in some belting with 20-lb spun fishing line (for squid) and that didn't last a minute. Braided line or monofilament is probably the way to go. I plan to try again when I find some better line. I honestly cheaped-out on getting the belted tires when I bought them because I'd already spent enough that month. Oops.
Seriously, if y’all choose to belt your own tires then buy the tires and foams, belt them on the INSIDE yourself, and glue them. Way better than wrapping sh*t around your tires, waiting for it all to break, and then digging/cutting/cussing all of that string out from around the hubs and bearings that wraps up tighter than a trouts axxhole. Ask me how I know… I just don’t understand the motivation. Belting them yourself can give you the warm, fuzzy feeling that you just saved fourteen bucks a pair, but for me it just isn’t worth the aggravation and the stress of the impending failure and it’s crazy PITA aftermath. If you do it yourself, belt them on the inside. Just my humble opinion after doing it a couple times the other way. Or, best idea, just buy belted tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back