Belting MX28 Badlands - Has anyone done it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By changing to heavier diff fluid, especially in the center diff, you slow the effect of WOT, making the ballooning more manageable. If you have belted tires this isn’t an issue. Not much of an issue anyway, unless you’re doing speed runs. Bashing is fine, ballooning is expected to a degree,but if you’re getting huge air a little more so if you want to control the landing. Most times when under throttle with the shiny side up you’re ok. I believe a lot of people overthink this.

I don't believe my truck has a center diff, but that is still good to note. I want my truck to last as long as possible, but I know I can definitely overthink things, wanting everything to be perfect and optimal. I am just running around bashing in the end.

Seriously, if y’all choose to belt your own tires then buy the tires and foams, belt them on the INSIDE yourself, and glue them. Way better than wrapping sh*t around your tires, waiting for it all to break, and then digging/cutting/cussing all of that string out from around the hubs and bearings that wraps up tighter than a trouts axxhole. Ask me how I know… I just don’t understand the motivation. Belting them yourself can give you the warm, fuzzy feeling that you just saved fourteen bucks a pair, but for me it just isn’t worth the aggravation and the stress of the impending failure and it’s crazy PITA aftermath. If you do it yourself, belt them on the inside. Just my humble opinion after doing it a couple times the other way. Or, best idea, just buy belted tires.
I'm sure the info is out there, but I've not seen how it's done before- How do you belt the inside of a tire? Glue in mesh or duct tape?

The ballooning from say, copperhead 2's is tolerable to me, but the MX28's seriously turn into 10" pizza cutters on 6s. The truck still runs, but it's super distracting to see the Tex Avery action as the wheels go big. I've tuned my diffs pretty well, so there's not much else to be done. I never thought I'd try fishing line, but if so many people do it, I figure there must be something to it. I didn't think belting the inside was possible without vulcanizing.

Here’s a video from one of our own. First time he’s done it, but he does good and it’s pretty good at explaining the steps. As for vulcanizing, I think this works because centrifugal force is our friend for this process. There are other videos out there that show a side by side of a tire belted this way against a stocker where they flip the rig over and give it full throttle. It really works well, almost no ballooning. Stocker is a pizza cutter from hell just before it explodes.

D38D3D01-E876-4BCC-9997-65A9BD34FBE9.jpeg
Been enjoying my Badlands and like having them Belted but unfortunately the belting keeps coming partially loose from time to time. I'm using kevlar line with it wrapped twice and I glue it at about 4 points (Like on a compass.) I actually have each tire belted twice, on the inside and the outside. I don't know what else I can do it keep it from coming off.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 175295Been enjoying my Badlands and like having them Belted but unfortunately the belting keeps coming partially loose from time to time. I'm using kevlar line with it wrapped twice and I glue it at about 4 points (Like on a compass.) I actually have each tire belted twice, on the inside and the outside. I don't know what else I can do it keep it from coming off.

Any thoughts?
What glue are you using? My 6s typhon has it and it holds up beautifully

Seems like that would work just fine, are you putting quite a bit on? Or little dabs
Honestly Id say somewhere in between. Maybe too much? I do give it a ton of time to dry though. I have had a random string pop off twice now, like in my photo. Im kind of wondering if its more from it getting snagged during runs vs actually being popped off from the tire Ballooning.

I redid that string tonight. I have one more spot to glue but we’ll see how it goes.

Honestly Id say somewhere in between. Maybe too much? I do give it a ton of time to dry though. I have had a random string pop off twice now, like in my photo. Im kind of wondering if its more from it getting snagged during runs vs actually being popped off from the tire Ballooning.

I redid that string tonight. I have one more spot to glue but we’ll see how it goes.
Put a picture up of your glued area, because I cover a pretty large area

Do you put a lot lengthwise down the line? Can you post a picture of yours? (I’ll get my photo posted asap.)
I just make sure that it's very saturated so it's going through the line all the way and onto the tire all around it. I will soon

So it's actually good to have A lot? I thought it was a less is more thing.
Sorry totally forgot to post pictures last night but no no less is not more. I have glue between my fingers. Probably about an inch and a half. Hard to see it but it's there

D98B357D-B179-4C65-83D9-7AB042F4326F.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back