Typhon Bent the Chassis Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
So I bent the chassis on my Typhon for the second time. This was the result of some pretty poopy landings on my part. First, I pulled the pillow ball out on one of the lower A Arms. I fixed that and ran some more jumps but noticed an odd sound when rotating in the air. I shut it down and saw that the CVD on the side where the pillow ball pulled out was bent. I went home to replace it and that's when I noticed that I broke the plastic brace that the two front hinge pins go into as well as the front bulkhead itself. To top it all off the front of the chassis is bent down instead of being slightly angled up. Here are some pictures:

20181019_075022.jpg

20181019_075043.jpg

20181019_074541.jpg

Couple of questions:

I ordered a set of CVD's (I had one but like to stock spares), Arrma part number AR330379 ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330379), Arrma part number AR310854 (https://www.arrma-rc.com/products/ar310854/30/1/ALL/ALL/ALL/ALL) and a set of upper and lower A-arms. Did I cover everything based on my photos?

Second question is this. I have a spare chassis that I picked up cheap from Jennys RC. If you were me, would you use it and know that you are starting with a completely normal chassis or would you try to bend the front back to the position it should be in? I am leaning towards using the new chassis and bending back this one and keeping it as a spare since it looks like it might not be that hard to fix.

Oh, should I try for warranty? :p

Is that front upper suspension mount 100% plastic?
It is on the outcast. I replaced mine on my outcast with voltage rc's rear pin holder. I busted the bulkhead and front upper/rear pin holder exactly the same as he showed on his. On mine, I had ordered the pin holder and didn't notice the bulkheads ears ripped off until I was going to install the replacement pin holder. Looking at my chassis though, didn't appear to bend it much, if at all.

Bend it back and keep bashing. I've bent mine twice so far too. I also have a new chassis but waiting for it to break first or I might double it up and use longer screws.

Pretty sure I bent my outcast chassis today, but not in the typical way. It seems twisted. I'm far too lazy to take it all apart to find out.

I hit a tree almost head on at a good speed today. Flexed my front arms so much my CVD popped out. Also shattered one of the dubro HD monster ball ends on the front shock. Didn't seem to bend anything else though. Got it back together now. I have video, but waiting for it to convert now. I have awful depth perception... lol!

Thanks for the detailed info. Even got to use the new sidebar part number lookup tool. (y)
I'm trying to imagine what I would do with bent chassis.
Busy at work? Bend it back and keep bashing.
Slow at work? Maybe transfer everything to new chassis, keep the old one and bend it back to eventually build a new franken-vehicle from spares.
Of course I'm newb and repairs (on anything) take me a lot longer than you guys. Goes back to being busy at work or not so busy.. :cautious:

Pretty sure I bent my outcast chassis today, but not in the typical way. It seems twisted. I'm far too lazy to take it all apart to find out.

I hit a tree almost head on at a good speed today. Flexed my front arms so much my CVD popped out. Also shattered one of the dubro HD monster ball ends on the front shock. Didn't seem to bend anything else though. Got it back together now. I have video, but waiting for it to convert now. I have awful depth perception... lol!
We all have horrible depth perception lol

So I bent the chassis on my Typhon for the second time. This was the result of some pretty poopy landings on my part. First, I pulled the pillow ball out on one of the lower A Arms. I fixed that and ran some more jumps but noticed an odd sound when rotating in the air. I shut it down and saw that the CVD on the side where the pillow ball pulled out was bent. I went home to replace it and that's when I noticed that I broke the plastic brace that the two front hinge pins go into as well as the front bulkhead itself. To top it all off the front of the chassis is bent down instead of being slightly angled up. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 23080

View attachment 23081

View attachment 23079

Couple of questions:

I ordered a set of CVD's (I had one but like to stock spares), Arrma part number AR330379 ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330379), Arrma part number AR310854 (https://www.arrma-rc.com/products/ar310854/30/1/ALL/ALL/ALL/ALL) and a set of upper and lower A-arms. Did I cover everything based on my photos?

Second question is this. I have a spare chassis that I picked up cheap from Jennys RC. If you were me, would you use it and know that you are starting with a completely normal chassis or would you try to bend the front back to the position it should be in? I am leaning towards using the new chassis and bending back this one and keeping it as a spare since it looks like it might not be that hard to fix.

Try for warranty and double up

View attachment 23080

View attachment 23081

View attachment 23079

Couple of questions:

what is the last photo?

Yes where's he been?
Looks like he was last here in dec 2020. @Notorious J siad he was fine last time we were asking about him and still had his rcs. Just taking a break, I know he’s into a lot of other stuff. I bet Danbury Hobby’s misses him lol...

Looks like he was last here in dec 2020. @Notorious J siad he was fine last time we were asking about him and still had his rcs. Just taking a break, I know he’s into a lot of other stuff. I bet Danbury Hobby’s misses him lol...
Yea I fiuger he be back after hunting season and and hit it this summer but as along as all is good his way.

Yea I fiuger he be back after hunting season and and hit it this summer but as along as all is good his way.
Messaged him last week. He's doing fine and just hasn't caught the rc bug this year. 2020 was rough for him so he's taking things a little more in stride these days. Whether he grabs a radio again or not is yet to be seen, but I'll make sure to stay in touch with him going forward. I try to pass on the well wishes from the forum family each time we talk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back