Best battery connector?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have any problems with my Traxxas connectors besides soldering them. The way they’re designed it’s impossible to get anything thicker than 10g in there AT all. 10g is almost impossible. They don’t get hot in any of the vehicles I’ve owned though.
Yeah, soldering them is a pain. I usually get it lined up, tinned, fluxed, soldered, then use a dremel to shape it to fit in the plug. I find that mine come apart quite frequently in my outcast when running. Usually from hard nose landings.

I soldered a few xt90's for a friend. They are 10 times easier/quicker to solder up.

Yeah, soldering them is a pain. I usually get it lined up, tinned, fluxed, soldered, then use a dremel to shape it to fit in the plug. I find that mine come apart quite frequently in my outcast when running. Usually from hard nose landings.

I soldered a few xt90's for a friend. They are 10 times easier/quicker to solder up.
I must really suck then. How much of a difference will flux make? I've been able to work without it so far, but I'm thinking that maybe that's the one thing that would make my life easier. Also, when I was at Home Depot, all they had was "plumber's" flux. Is it all the same? Thanks in advance.

You can work with out it for sure but it definitely make a difference. I used to solder a lot ~25yrs ago and when I started again a month or so back, my jobs look like they were done by Stevie Wonder. I bought a jig that I should post a pic of which i am happy with and it has a baker lite section for soldering bullets that I like as many are aluminium and draw away too much heat.

I do wish I had a chisel tip iron but that’s about all i’m missing I reckon

i just switched my trucks to ec5...xt90s were a b!tch to get on and off when i cut my thumb tip off.... ec5's were gimp friendly....

Both are good connectors. I only went with XT90 because that’s what the truck came with and I had no soldering stuff so my LHS put one on the 4s battery I bought. Prior to that I was thinking of going EC5 as they seem easier to solder but I find XT90 pretty easy now I am prepared better

Xt90 you have to very careful when soldering so the gold pins do not over heat and melt the plastic. I did that and it pushed right put.

My first truck was a rustler vxl and when I bought my big rock, the owner of my LHS soldered a Traxxas type connector to the BRCC. I really don't like it now that I'm hitting big jumps. The connection comes loose every 3 to 4 jumps. What, in your opinions, is the most solid/strongest type of battery connection. I'm not too familiar with anything other than the Traxxas type, but would like to hear your thoughts. I'm tired of taking the shell off 10+ times a session to reconnect the battery. Thasnk you.
Loosens up that much????? Your problem is you have a bad connector. I drive my X maxx hard as hell and the Traxxas plugs never loosen up. I'd bring it back to the lhs if I were you.

I didn’t wanna be the one to say this ^^ but he’s right. Your lhs guy probably melted the connector. Even the hobbyking ones don’t come loose.

I must really suck then. How much of a difference will flux make? I've been able to work without it so far, but I'm thinking that maybe that's the one thing that would make my life easier. Also, when I was at Home Depot, all they had was "plumber's" flux. Is it all the same? Thanks in advance.
Flux will help. No plumbers flux,get electrical flux. IMHO flux helps with solder flowing.

Loosens up that much????? Your problem is you have a bad connector. I drive my X maxx hard as hell and the Traxxas plugs never loosen up. I'd bring it back to the lhs if I were you.
Mine come apart when I lawn dart. I run traxxas connectors on everything.

Oddly though, sent castle an email about some strange things on my MMX and the first thing they said was to change my connectors to theirs or xt90's/xt150's...

Xt-90’s is easy to solder with the jigs up ?

Enquiry: which is easier for delicate fingers to pull apart and connect?

Both my Granite and V4 Kraton came with EC5 and at times I really struggle to pull apart the connectors. I wouldn't call myself weak but I struggle for grip on such Small Things.

Will XT90's be slightly easier? With all else equal (I'll let LHS do the soldering), current capacity etc, performance, ID rather go with something that's more convenient for my fingers.

Last edited:
Enquiry: which is easier for delicate fingers to pull apart and connect?

Both my Granite and V4 Kraton came with EC5 and at times I really struggle to pull apart the connectors. I wouldn't call myself weak but I struggle for grip on such Small Things.

Will XT90's be slightly easier? What all else equal (I'll let LHS to solder), current capacity etc, performance, ID rather go with something that's more convenient for my fingers.

In my opinion, EC5 and XT90 are about the same effort to pull apart. I have a couple XT90 that are pretty tough to separate and only a few EC5 so really can't call it one way or the other. Deans style are easiest but not recommended these days on brushless systems.

I just finished redoing all 3 of my 2 pack trucks and the 3S packs I run in them (3 trucks, 2 plugs each, 8 packs) with xt90's and trx->xt90 adapters for my chargers. They don't seem to be staying together much better than the traxxas plugs I came from. Considering the size of the plug, they have a lot of material to get your hands on, so they aren't too bad to unplug either. I still have traxxas plugs for my smaller single pack trucks. If I ever convert those, I'll do away with the adapters on my chargers, but they seem to work fine there.

In my first bash with these plugs this weekend, I had them come separated 4-5 times during each set of packs in 2 different trucks, which was annoying. Been looking a bit for a plug lock for xt90's (like you can get for servo plug extensions) that holds both plugs together, but I'm coming up empty.

I switched to them mostly due to the arcing I was getting when plugging them in on my trucks I built cap packs for. It was really starting to weld/mess up my traxxas plugs. I always run my packs in the same pairs and I have them labeled. So I used one of those spark resister plugs on one of each pair, then I plug that one in second. They really did kill any arcing I had. Now I just need to get them to stay together.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back