Best battery connector?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished redoing all 3 of my 2 pack trucks and the 3S packs I run in them (3 trucks, 2 plugs each, 8 packs) with xt90's and trx->xt90 adapters for my chargers. They don't seem to be staying together much better than the traxxas plugs I came from. Considering the size of the plug, they have a lot of material to get your hands on, so they aren't too bad to unplug either. I still have traxxas plugs for my smaller single pack trucks. If I ever convert those, I'll do away with the adapters on my chargers, but they seem to work fine there.

In my first bash with these plugs this weekend, I had them come separated 4-5 times during each set of packs in 2 different trucks, which was annoying. Been looking a bit for a plug lock for xt90's (like you can get for servo plug extensions) that holds both plugs together, but I'm coming up empty.

I switched to them mostly due to the arcing I was getting when plugging them in on my trucks I built cap packs for. It was really starting to weld/mess up my traxxas plugs. I always run my packs in the same pairs and I have them labeled. So I used one of those spark resister plugs on one of each pair, then I plug that one in second. They really did kill any arcing I had. Now I just need to get them to stay together.

I converted to all XT90’s about a year ago. I just counted 19 packs I converted. From 2s up to 6s single packs. I have yet to have a single xt90 come apart during use. Not once. I’d wager you have some low quality or defective xt90 connectors. Or your tie downs aren’t working properly. Something abnormal is going on with your setup.

I converted to all XT90’s about a year ago. I just counted 19 packs I converted. From 2s up to 6s single packs. I have yet to have a single xt90 come apart during use. Not once. I’d wager you have some low quality or defective xt90 connectors. Or your tie downs aren’t working properly. Something abnormal is going on with your setup.
Don't know. Bought them on amazon from amass seller. I had them strapped down tight enough to squeeze the wire insulation. I may try adding a second strap on the outcast to go in front of the plugs as the one on there now just holds the rear of the plugs from the packs.

Ermmmm... Saw a YouTube clip showing how tough his XT90 was to unplug..... The remedy was just some light sanding down of the receiving plug for an easier fit.... I'm gonna try this on my EC5 before really considering a mass resolder: total of 3 batteries and charger... I know, not that many.
I have XT150 and love them. I think that the only other connector that I would personally look at is the AS150. They are bigger, so they are easier to grip and like @jondilly1974 said they are independent so you are only fighting the force of one bullet. The main reason that I went to XT150 was because I have an 8s 5th scale and you can wire the XT150 so that the positive from one battery plugs into the negative from another battery and run the wires in series without all of the extra wiring and connectors.

And honestly, if you are thinking that you may want to ever switch, I would say to do it now while you only have 3 batteries to switch over. When I switched mine over I had 28 batteries, 9 escs and 16 charge leads. So I was busy soldering for a few hours over a couple of days.

Don't know. Bought them on amazon from amass seller. I had them strapped down tight enough to squeeze the wire insulation. I may try adding a second strap on the outcast to go in front of the plugs as the one on there now just holds the rear of the plugs from the packs.

It is most likely the pack moving too much.

In my opinion, EC5 and XT90 are about the same effort to pull apart. I have a couple XT90 that are pretty tough to separate and only a few EC5 so really can't call it one way or the other. Deans style are easiest but not recommended these days on brushless systems.
Interesting, thank you... It's not easy finding someone who has both to compare... in my country, I'd say the majority of 3s and 6s people use XT90, but since coming on board with my stock 3s and now 6s, I've gotten accustomed to the EC5, except for the fact that the plugs are a beeeech to pull apart. It would be nearly impossible on a cold day. Even taking it off the charger, most times the charger gets pulled off its feet. My truck is at the shop presently with a radio issue. Looking forward to giving connectors a refresh.

I use XT90’s throughout my builds, I do use some XT60 with the connections to my ISDT charger.

I only use the decent ones with the cable sleeve that clips into the main body.

My only gripe is I wish they were black like the ones on my Panthers as the yellow discolours very easily.

If you're going to keep buying Arrmas (or other HH products), I'd suggest EC5. No reason to do unnecessary soldering.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back