Best beginner airbrush kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeding_Infraction

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
I'm looking to try airbrushing and was wondering what the best beginner kit is. I was thinking to just get a harbor freight compressor?
Is this a good option?
COSVII Airbrush Kit Upgraded 40 PSI Air Brush Painting Kit with Compressor, Gravity Feed Dual Action Airbrush Gun Set with 0.2/0.3/0.5 mm Nozzles for Art Model Makeup Nail Cake Decorating https://a.co/d/gN0xxXt

Last edited:
I never quite pulled the plug on an Air brush, but have researched them well. I always wanted one. For like 30 years actually.
Paasche is well known. I would get a well known brand, personally. So I can buy replacement parts easily. An Air brush is something you only want to buy once. Considering how infrequently it gets used. Air brushing costs way less than using Rattle cans. Bottles of paint don't get wasted like rattle cans. And with bottled paints, you can mix your own custom colors. The results are way better also. :cool: Tamiya paints whether Rattle cans or Bottled are best IMHO.
I keep a few colors of bottle Lexan paint here for small touch ups with a brush.
Painting is all a hobby unto itself.

Last edited:
Is this a decent set?
Paasche H Airbrush Set with a Master 1/5 hp Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Compressor System, Single-Action External Mix Siphon Feed Airbrush, All 3 Head Sizes (1, 3 & 5), Hose, Holder, How-To Guide https://a.co/d/gdeKRdh

That's the one. (y)
$200. well spent IMHO. I keep eyeing that one too.:giggle:
I worked in Auto body repair and painting. I learned that quality paint equipment matters with spray painting. There is a learning curve, so practice first and read up.

I've seen some reviews saying the compressor isn't very good. But I can just return it if it doesn't work😁

This one’s been nice on a budget. I didn’t want to invest much as I don’t paint that often yet. It had everything I need to explore the process. I’m hoping to use it more this year. It has a small tank and I’ve found the steady pressure very convenient. Otherwise the thing will constantly run and there will be dips in pressure.

For just exploring the hobby it’s great. I got a big batch of cheap airbrush paint to practice with which ended up being smart. RC paints are pricy and much practice is needed. I got it for $80 mid last year on sale. It’s now $129 unfortunately with 5% off.
TUFFIOM Airbrush Compressor Kit w/ 3L Tank, 4 Airbrushes, Airbrush Holder & 6ft Hose, Airbrushing Painting System w/Regulator & Cooling Fan for Model Painting/Cake Decoration/Nail Art/Tattoo https://a.co/d/bTZnVMA

C9F96E13-90C3-478F-902D-AE8C1267B0E3.png

Check out badger. This is the one I have(which is prob more than you want to spend but an idea anyway). And I have 4 or 5 airbrushes of various brands. @SrC is right about auto body paint equipment. I had 6 spray guns and they ranged from $500, $800 all the way up to $1K. I grew up in a body shop and painted cars for a while. Don't really have the space to airbrush where I live so it's all packed away.

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 4.01.44 PM.png

IMG-3333.jpg

Let me add my $.02 here

I’ve been airbrushing rc bodies for a few years and to be honest I’ve done probably 1000+ bodies

I’ve learned a LOT along the way ..I ripped through so many cheap compressors along the way ..the most important thing to have is a good compressor. And then a great airbrush..without those 2 things your results will not be great.

I’ve been using a paasche compressor for the past couple years and it’s been amazing ..it’s a 300$ compressor and I just can’t say enough about it..I’ve easily got 1000 hrs on this compressor and it’s still going strong

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/pa...JwzaIumuwR4IP5iOE8yZR5uOBIOo-bAxoCQAUQAvD_BwE

The next thing I would recommend is a decent airbrush like an Iwata eclipse for details and a patriot 105 fir everything else

It’s all a learning curve but if you take the advice from people that have been through it you’ll get to the better end results faster

Just my $.02

Let me add my $.02 here

I’ve been airbrushing rc bodies for a few years and to be honest I’ve done probably 1000+ bodies

I’ve learned a LOT along the way ..I ripped through so many cheap compressors along the way ..the most important thing to have is a good compressor. And then a great airbrush..without those 2 things your results will not be great.

I’ve been using a paasche compressor for the past couple years and it’s been amazing ..it’s a 300$ compressor and I just can’t say enough about it..I’ve easily got 1000 hrs on this compressor and it’s still going strong

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/pa...JwzaIumuwR4IP5iOE8yZR5uOBIOo-bAxoCQAUQAvD_BwE

The next thing I would recommend is a decent airbrush like an Iwata eclipse for details and a patriot 105 fir everything else

It’s all a learning curve but if you take the advice from people that have been through it you’ll get to the better end results faster

Just my $.02
I was hoping you would chime in!! I'm taking notes 😄

If you want to use a "liquid mask" you need a bigger pistol aswell with a 1,4mm needle. Forget a paint brush to apply the mask. Just did not work for me.

Mostly one airbrush gun is enough. Only lots of cleaning with different airbrushes when only using a few colors. After using a color just blow through some water and cleaner and next color is OK. Also makes sense to get the same airbrush if you need another one. Just less adjusting if you know one airbrush type. Makes sense to have a second airbrush if you need to apply some backing color (white, silver) if your design needs to color to be backed before you move on.

And, as said before, get a compressor with a tank to have a clean constant airflow.

Just started with airbrushing but that's what I found.

Last edited:
If you want to use a "liquid mask" you need a bigger pistol aswell with a 1,4mm needle. Forget a paint brush to apply the mask. Just did not work for me.

Mostly one airbrush gun is enough. Only lots of cleaning with different airbrushes when only using a few colors. After using a color just blow through some water and cleaner and next color is OK. Also makes sense to get the same airbrush if you need another one. Just less adjusting if you know one airbrush type. Makes sense to have a second airbrush if you need to apply some backing color (white, silver) if your design needs to color to be backed before you move on.

And, as said before, get a compressor with a tank.

Just started with airbrushing but that's what I found.
Liquid mask is a MUST for great results

I never do a body without liquid mask

Here’s a little before and after

3E0E723A-528D-45E3-A0F5-3F5AAF12D6DB.jpeg

5C2A2853-1F9A-4389-80E0-234F33F4F667.jpeg

56A8AAD4-3D34-4458-AD98-8537CBC28C7C.jpeg

621EEB2A-75FF-401B-A416-FEF3206D78AE.jpeg

06BDDAC6-1A39-4991-B28C-B3EE7573A87E.jpeg

76447C78-689E-4BB2-9698-B61C6C0E8EF3.jpeg

BA15B73E-CE56-4125-9FDB-B1A1C7AD7CAE.jpeg

3ECD1117-920B-4FDA-AE05-8216BFBB2A86.jpeg

Thought the same. Was wondering if it makes sense to build a box with a large filter mat and a fan like that behind it. The box just uses a lot of space and everything that is not sucked into the box is still in the air. A ventilator seems to be better in many ways with anything bigger than Revell models.

Also need to correct on liquid mask and airbrush - it can be applied without an airbrush but it needs to be a very soft brush.

Last edited:
Thought the same. Was wondering if it makes sense to build a box with a large filter mat and a fan like that behind it. The box just uses a lot of space and everything that is not sucked into the box is still in the air. A ventilator seems to be better in many ways with anything bigger than Revell models.

Also need to correct on liquid mask and airbrush - it can be applied without an airbrush but it needs to be a very soft brush.
Personally I’d recommend shooting liquid mask through an hvlp
Comes out much more uniform and makes it much easier to cut accurately

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back