Raider Best brushless combo for raider blx 1/10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky_malone

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Could I get some suggestions on a good all round brushless combo for my raider blx. I'm tired of Arrma cheap electronics and want to put a top end system in now. What would be best for on and off road. High speed and good torque.
Poll is open.........

G'Day @sparky_malone, I would stick with the known brands and also like the Castle Creations especially the 3800kv Sidewinder SV3 Waterproof system. I have this in my sons Vaterra Glamis Uno and it is perfect. Runs cool, super smooth and lots of fun on 2s and crazy fast on 3s. My experience with Castle has been good to me. Their after sales service and warranties are second to none in my opinion. On the other side of the coin, you could go cheap and do ok but if it goes pear shaped then you will just be forking out more money in the end. After many years of buying on both sides of the coin, I have found that reputable brands although more expensive do pay off in the long run. All the best with it. Cheers Cuzzy

I put this in my Raider, add in a 2 cell Lipo and you have a certified "Bat outta Hell".

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCADC&P=SM

a duratrax 4550.JPG

seems like a good system. What would you say makes this a better or worse system than a castle system?
If 4000kv is the 3s limit how is it that it comes with a 4550kv motor? To me that means yo cant use 3s?

seems like a good system. What would you say makes this a better or worse system than a castle system?
If 4000kv is the 3s limit how is it that it comes with a 4550kv motor? To me that means yo cant use 3s?

Honestly, couldn't say one's better than the other. CC makes a good product, they must or they wouldn't sell as much as they do. I found a smokin' deal on the Durtrax system and like it.
And for that matter, the Duratrax system was way more than the Raider could handle, especially with a 2S LiPo which is why I swapped it into the Vorteks [haven't had a chance to run in the dirt yet].
I found an ESC on eBay, link below for $21. Hey, for $21? I'm going to give it a shot in the Raider. I'll post more after it arrives and is installed. I have a spare 5900kv in the tool box which I picked up for $20, so what the heck.
$21 eBay ESC

Honestly, couldn't say one's better than the other. CC makes a good product, they must or they wouldn't sell as much as they do. I found a smokin' deal on the Durtrax system and like it.
And for that matter, the Duratrax system was way more than the Raider could handle, especially with a 2S LiPo which is why I swapped it into the Vorteks [haven't had a chance to run in the dirt yet].
I found an ESC on eBay, link below for $21. Hey, for $21? I'm going to give it a shot in the Raider. I'll post more after it arrives and is installed. I have a spare 5900kv in the tool box which I picked up for $20, so what the heck.
$21 eBay ESC

WOW real bargain. would this work with the blx 3600kv motor too? let me know how this runs in your raider. is your raider stock? if not what have you changed?

WOW real bargain. would this work with the blx 3600kv motor too? let me know how this runs in your raider. is your raider stock? if not what have you changed?

That's a huge question to ask a guy with a big mouth, LOLing@myself.
Upgraded brushed motor from 15T to 12T
Then upitched brushed, went to Durtrax brushless system.
That system, Duratrax, was transferred over to a BLS Vorteks, then planted the BLS system into the Raider.
BLS system is, well, wimpy...
Now waiting for the $21 eBay ESC, then changed mind, will punch in a 4 pole 5400kw motor, I'm guessing all the pieces will take a couple weeks to arrive, just ordered over the last few days.
Changed rear wheels to SC Slash, 4 1/4 dia.
Have some more wheels on order, will move to MT or Stadium wheels, the SC wheels, same stance as buggy, but too narrow.
Busted up all sorts of pieces and replaced the necessary ones with OEM. The unnecessary busted ones, left them, who cares...
Why would you settle for a 3600? Go big or go home, as they say.

Last edited:
That's a huge question to ask a guy with a big mouth, LOLing@myself.
Upgraded brushed motor from 15T to 12T
Then upitched brushed, went to Durtrax brushless system.
That system, Duratrax, was transferred over to a BLS Vorteks, then planted the BLS system into the Raider.
BLS system is, well, wimpy...
Now waiting for the $21 eBay ESC, then changed mind, will punch in a 4 pole 5400kw motor, I'm guessing all the pieces will take a couple weeks to arrive, just ordered over the last few days.
Changed rear wheels to SC Slash, 4 1/4 dia.
Have some more wheels on order, will move to MT or Stadium wheels, the SC wheels, same stance as buggy, but too narrow.
Busted up all sorts of pieces and replaced the necessary ones with OEM. The unnecessary busted ones, left them, who cares...
Why would you settle for a 3600? Go big or go home, as they say.

I couldn't agree more im just a little confused with the kvs and ts and how it all ties in with pinion and spur gear sizes and how it all effects one another.
I don't get whats so special about the arrma system that 17/54 gearing can be used yet cant on another system.
Am i right in thinking that the amount of teeth on the pinion dictates the amount of torque so the higher the teeth the more torque and same with the spur gear but for high speed, higher number of teeth the higher speed will be achieved.
So how does this tie in with motors, escs and batteries? I think that the motor dictates how much power is needed but then what next lol how do you match an esc, battery and then choose the correct spur and pinion gears for your application

I hear that if a system requires a battery that can supply 25c or 100 amps of power and a battery of that power is used then that battery is being used at full capacity, but if a battery of 50c or 200 amps was used the the battery would be being used at half load and thus extend the life of the battery? Is this the case or would the battery just blow the system?

You have a lot of questions in there... let me try and pick out a few to hopefully start clarifying things for you. If you still have questions post again and we'll do what we can to help out.

I don't get whats so special about the arrma system that 17/54 gearing can be used yet cant on another system.
There is a lot that goes into what gearing can be used in what vehicle. Beyond the motor, ESC, battery and their various specs, there are other things that may need to be considered such as vehicle weight (heavier is harder to move), tire and wheel diameter/weight (more/less spinning mass), transmission gear ratios, differential setup, slipper clutches, etc. etc. For now just know that it's not necessarily transferable to your vehicle that you can run a given motor and ESC with a certain gearing just because you saw that combo in another vehicle.

Am i right in thinking that the amount of teeth on the pinion dictates the amount of torque so the higher the teeth the more torque and same with the spur gear but for high speed, higher number of teeth the higher speed will be achieved.
This is not correct... the amount of torque and top end speed is related to the gear ratio between the pinion and spur. For instance... in the example you provided with a 17 tooth pinion and a 54 tooth spur gear you have a ratio of 3.176(54 divided by 17) to 1, often written as "3.176:1". This means the pinion has to rotate 3.176 times to make the spur rotate one revolution. If you were to change the pinion to a 15 tooth with the same spur you would have a ratio of 3.6:1... the pinion would have to rotate 3.6 times to make the spur go around once. Thus the 15 tooth pinion would make the car slower assuming all other things (motor rpm, transmission, tires) stay the same. The smaller pinion however should yield more torque as it gives up some of the speed. You'll often see gearing referred to as taller and shorter gearing... the taller ratios are those where the number in <number>:1 is lower and a shorter ratio is where the <number> is higher. Thus taller gear ratios should be faster and shorter gearing should have more torque. Bottom line... it takes both the pinion and spur to determine the amount of torque or speed achieved. (remember in the example above only the pinion changed... we could also have used a 61 tooth spur with the 17 tooth pinion to achieve an ~3.6:1 ratio).

I think that the motor dictates how much power is needed
This is essentially correct. The motor determines how much power will be drawn from the battery through the ESC. If your motor pulls more than the battery can deliver or the ESC can pass you will impact your performance and possibly damage your battery, ESC or motor.

Let's start there... Google for more info and ask if you still have questions.

I hear that if a system requires a battery that can supply 25c or 100 amps of power and a battery of that power is used then that battery is being used at full capacity, but if a battery of 50c or 200 amps was used the the battery would be being used at half load and thus extend the life of the battery? Is this the case or would the battery just blow the system?

The motor draws power... the battery doesn't push it... so a battery with a higher C rating will not blow the system... Think of it like a water tank... The mAh rating of a battery is how big the tank is... a 5000mAh tank is larger than a 1000mAh tank. The C rating is how big of a spigot you have attached to the tank. If a 25C rating is equivalent to a spigot that can deliver 1 gallon per minute then a 50C battery could deliver 2 gallons per minute.... it doesn't have to deliver that much if you don't open the valve all the way... but it can. So let's say your motor requires 1.5 gallons per minute... the 25C battery won't be able to supply that much... but the 50 battery will have enough to meet that demand and have extra to spare for bursts (high accelleration, etc). Keep in mind the ESC must be capable of passing the current the motor needs. If you have a motor that needs 1.5 gpm and a 50C battery that can deliver 2gpm but your ESC can only pass 1gpm (based on the amp rating of the ESC) then you will fry your ESC with this motor/esc/battery combo.

Thanks @Walter!
That was a good read, also great examples and easy to follow!
~s

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back