Typhon Best gearing for accceleration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I don’t do speed runs and have 0 interest in them but to each his own. Too many brick mailboxes around my house anyway. Has anybody ever geared down thier 6s for track duty and if so what were the results? I’m all about more acceleration if I can put the power down. What diameter is the stock 2050kv motor shaft because I have extra Arrma safe d pinions if this is a good idea to improve acceleration? I don’t need the buggy to do over maybe 25-29 mph on the track I run it at but I would like more acceleration out of the corners and for clearing jumps? My esc punch setting is still at the default 4 position but I’m thinking about increasing it gradually before I mess with gearing and see how the 6sv5 reacts? Opinions? thanks

Careful gearing down too much you can over rev motor and burn it up. Stock pinion is going to be best go at it. Try 3s if you want slower

thanks. I won’t mess will the the gearing then and just use the esc punch setting to get the best acceleration out of the typhon I can ok. I don’t want slower. I want faster 0 to 25. thanks

You would be very surprised what going to 3s and the right gearing can do.

If you’re running around a track I would probably focus more on your diff fluids. Front, Centre and Rear.
Depending on the corners and roads base of the track......... you’ll notice massive gains if you have the diffs dialled in just right.

I second changing the diff fluids for better off the mark acceleration. There's a video on youtube of a guy, forgot the name, who changed out his fluids to something thicker and it was a massive improvement due to the front wheels no longer spinning freely from a stop.

You would be very surprised what going to 3s and the right gearing can do.
thanks. Might want to try this? what gearing should I go with? I believe the stock pinion is 14T? I have an Arrma safe d 13T I could put on there but would that noticeably improve acceleration at all.? If not what pinion would you recommend running it 3s to notice acceleration improvements without cooking the motor? thanks

What gearing should I go with? I believe the stock pinion is 14T? I have an Arrma safe d 13T I could put on thier but would that noticeably improve acceleration at all.? If not what pinion would you recommend running it 3s to notice acceleration improvements? thanks
I can calculate it for you. What is the top speed you are happy with?
If you are ok with the 20 to 30 mph as stated above. Keep the stock pinion on max punch on 3s. That should put you at half the speed you are at now but without all that tire burning torque.

thanks. I’m happy with 25mph but just want to get their faster. thanks

How will increasing the pinion from stock 14T to 20T improve acceleration? I also don’t have any 4s batteries so I was hoping 3s would work. thanks

Not trying to go slower. Trying to accelerate faster ok. thanks
The Typhon is light enough that it doesn’t cog, at least it hasn’t for me. On 20T/4S mine blasts off like a rocket. I’m using stock V4 electronics too.

thanks. I will try running the stock 14T on 3s with punch at 9 and see how she accelerates? sound good? thanks

My local track doesn’t have 1/4 mile straights. The 6sv5 typhon is awesome but it has way too much top end, even with stock gearing, for track duty. 25-29 mph is plenty fast enough for the straights but I want to improve the typhons acceleration for starts, coming out of corners and clearing jumps. thanks
I can calculate it for you. What is the top speed you are happy with?
If you are ok with the 20 to 30 mph as stated above. Keep the stock pinion on max punch on 3s. That should put you at half the speed you are at now but without all that tire burning torque.
Ok. thanks

Last edited:
I second changing the diff fluids for better off the mark acceleration. There's a video on youtube of a guy, forgot the name, who changed out his fluids to something thicker and it was a massive improvement due to the front wheels no longer spinning freely from a stop.
^^^Just not for track use. 1/8 scale trucks run best between 3s-4s and appropriate gearing. Volt Down, gear Up. Sanctioned 1/8 tracks wont allow 6s on its track. 4s max only.
Diff fluids are generally much Thinner for track use. Even lower than the stock fluids. Front, center and rear. There is no way to drive a rig on a technical track running bashing weight thicker fluids. You will be so out of shape and on your lid or into the pipes. MT tires on a track also will not cut it. You don't need much acceleration on a track that has short sweepers and straights. Your track times will be crap. You just need to maintain a steady momentum to drive successfully around a track consistently lap after lap. Just my spin. You can dial in Punch and Timing ( if you have) for the track you are on.

Back