Kraton Best Kraton front bumper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man, thanks to your post I got a 12x12, 1/8” thick square of that material to experiment with. So how did you work it? What is the best way to cut it into shape, do you heat it up before you cut it or use a Dremel or a bandsaw cold? I’m not sure where to start having never done something like this but you are right, I’m crafty and can figure it out...once I know where to start 😂
Thanks bud!

I think I used 1/4, 1/8 should bend pretty nice. I basically made a mock up out of cardboard and drew lines where I wanted my bends. Then I transferred it to the hdpe and used a 2x or whatever scrap wood I had that worked best. Slowly heat it up from both sides. Once it is bent and starting to cool down I’d run over to the sink and run it under cold water to speed up the process.

I used a heat gun to heat it up, working back and forth not heating one area too long. To cut it I just used my jigsaw.

Last edited:
I think I used 1/4, 1/8 should bend pretty nice. I basically made a mock up out of cardboard and drew lines where I wanted my bends. Then I transferred it to the hdpe and used a 2x or whatever scrap wood I had that worked best. Slowly heat it up from both sides. Once it is bent and starting to cool down I’d run over to the sink and run it under cold water to speed up the process.
Thank you very much! How do you cut it? What’s the best way? Just a saw?

Thank you very much! How do you cut it? What’s the best way? Just a saw?

Jigsaw really seemed to work best for me and then a dremel with a drum sander to clean up edges. I tried using a rotozip but the plastic gets so hot and comes out in such small pieces that it would just melt back together. Maybe you’ll have better luck doing that with the 1/8” material though.

On edit, missed a question, no need to heat it up prior to cutting.

Jigsaw really seemed to work best for me and then a dremel with a drum sander to clean up edges. I tried using a rotozip but the plastic gets so hot and comes out in such small pieces that it would just melt back together. Maybe you’ll have better luck doing that with the 1/8” material though.

On edit, missed a question, no need to heat it up prior to cutting.
Thanks man!!

I have one of these JBIRC rear skid plates from my notorious. I’m assuming i have to drill the chassis for that one forward hole? Does this thing strengthen that part of the chassis at all?

My other thought is to put the old RPM bumper I have on the rear. I’ve seen more than one person do that. Curious what y’all think would be the best route to go?

Many thanks as always guys!

1BF7AFE6-7A09-450A-AE6A-15BCAA186406.jpeg

I have one of these JBIRC rear skid plates from my notorious. I’m assuming i have to drill the chassis for that one forward hole? Does this thing strengthen that part of the chassis at all?

My other thought is to put the old RPM bumper I have on the rear. I’ve seen more than one person do that. Curious what y’all think would be the best route to go?

View attachment 219572
My vote is for the aluminum plate and I would drill it and put a lock nut on the top side. Gotta add at least some strength I'd guess? Definitely give some wear protection. I never realized the rtr chassis had those ribs stamped into the chassis. Pretty sure the exb does not?
I did put the exb front bumper on the rear, not sure how effective it truly is, just put it there because I had it as an extra..

View attachment 219572
Definitely drill and bolt thru there Velodromed. If ye think about it the chassis never gets bent down there, usually bends up. Withoot the bolt its still free to bend cause there's no additional bracing, It'd still bend and pull away from the chassis at that point. Here's ma home brewed one taken to extremes maybe, but its the same as yours, part brace part skid plate. Anytime ye can get one thing to do two jobs is always a win! Front hole at the tapered end picks up the tower brace bolt.
_20210203_202310.JPG

Definitely drill and bolt thru there Velodromed. If ye think about it the chassis never gets bent down there, usually bends up. Withoot the bolt its still free to bend cause there's no additional bracing, It'd still bend and pull away from the chassis at that point. Here's ma home brewed one taken to extremes maybe, but its the same as yours, part brace part skid plate. Anytime ye can get one thing to do two jobs is always a win! Front hole at the tapered end picks up the tower brace bolt. View attachment 219733
Fancy Like😎 Nice work👍

Definitely drill and bolt thru there Velodromed. If ye think about it the chassis never gets bent down there, usually bends up. Withoot the bolt its still free to bend cause there's no additional bracing, It'd still bend and pull away from the chassis at that point. Here's ma home brewed one taken to extremes maybe, but its the same as yours, part brace part skid plate. Anytime ye can get one thing to do two jobs is always a win! Front hole at the tapered end picks up the tower brace bolt. View attachment 219733
Looks very nice! I wouldn’t take it as homemade, the finish is too good. For now I’m just gonna run a RPM bumper on the back. I’m not planning on jumping in the Kraton much. I have a notorious for that and a granite set up for jumping. I’m just looking forward to getting it out later today and running it at the park.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back