Best Kraton Gearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliJohnson1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a V2 Kraton and although it has been great, I am looking to get more out of it. I am sort of a noobie when it comes to this and am running my Kraton basically bone stock with the only upgrade being Backflip Tires because the original ones ballooned so much they spun off the wheels, and my servo just stripped so I upgraded that. I was looking to get more top speed and was wondering if, and this is kind of crazy but, I ran with 22t pinion with 50t spur how much faster would it be? I don't know much about gearing but I hope I can learn more. Also, I am running a Lectron Pro 6s right now, but the battery is in bad shape. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a hardshell 6s, or should I do two 3s's?

That gear is too tall, your stock esc and motor will get too hot. 16t is about as tall (stock 14 is good too) as I go for bashing (kraton w/backflips) and I run it short to medium blasts with the throttle and I still gets a little too warm. for batteries I like the vant 4800 6s hard case. its not the largest but again I like the weight for bashing and the large capacity 6s can run too long and cook things if youre not careful.
To run that big gear you will at least need to up grade your esc.

What about a heat sink and fan from hobbywing for the motor. Or will it still be too hot?

Also I don’t do much bashing I mainly do speed and not much jumping because I can do much of that around me. But i still want that capability because every once and a while I’ll go to a bmx track but I mainly run on pavement, grass, or gravel.

I don't run a fan so I don't know. The prolong throttle of a speed run or the old ball field race with your buds can really get things hot so sure would not hurt. Buy a cheap thermometer from DirtcheapRC or harborfreight and watch your motor and esc temps every couple minutes. I don't like mine getting above 160, 170F but that's me and I havnt burned up a car yet. hopefully some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in.
you are so lucky to have a bmx track near you. I have one but they barely let kids ride their bikes on it let along some old geeser with toy trucks...

My Advice: Don't use a 22T pinion on the stock motor and ESC when bashing! It is way too much. Especially with tires that balloon, like almost all tires do. Because when they balloon and expand the diameter of the tire becomes larger so it will be even harder for the car. It is like gearing up. The only time I tried a 22T pinion on my Kraton with the stock electronics is when I did a speedrun on asphalt with SRC Sweep Racing Road Crusher tires. These tires are not only smaller than the stock ones, but also don't balloon under speed. So the "gearing" will stay the same during the entire run. Only in these kind of situations it's oke to gear up. But I would't be using that same 22T pinion with the stock (larger) tires that balloon and also not when bashing. Because sand and grass has much more resistance on your car than asphalt. So it's harder for the ESC and motor to begin with, and when you gear it up like that it is too much. An accident waiting to happen. You don't want to be there when a ESC goes up in flames. Not a pretty sight, and can ruïn your car. Best case scenario your ESC only puffs out the magic smoke, but this smells really bad and the smell will stay in the car for a very long time.

I myself will be gearing up to a 22T pinion, but I'm going to use a Hobbystar 4092 long can motor (1480kv) with a Hobbywing Max6 ESC. So it's a completely different situation.

Ok. I’m not going to use a 22t pinion. If I wanted the best of both worlds, bashing and speed, with stock esc and motor. What pinion would you suggest 17?

I'm currently running a 15T pinion with my stock setup. I do have a motor fan installed. The temps are oke, especially in the winter now. Like Jimbobjr said in one of the posts above, anything between 14-16T is oke for the Kraton with stock electronics. Anything higher and you are taking a risk I think. It depends on the terrain you are driving on. Heavy mud and tall grass is ofcourse harder on the car than running on asphalt with almost no resistance. You can try 17T but it is asking a lot from the stock motor and ESC. So watch your temps when you do. Buy a infrared temp gun from Aliexpress/Banggood/Wish. It is a good investment. Good luck!

Depending on tire diameter, each tooth on the motor pinion represents 3-4 mph difference in top speed.
If you go from 15t to 17t, expect an increase of between 6 and 8 mph

I bash with a 17t on backflips and have been 67.3mph, but IMO it's approaching the limit of what the stock BLX system can handle. You also have to have an efficient motor fan with gearing this tall or you'll see motor temps approaching 180+ within the first 10 minutes. I check temps 2 or 3 times per run, and beating on it pretty hard I get motor temps in the mid to high 150's and ESC temps in the low to mid 140's

Last edited:
40mm WTF Fan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WTF4010-40...jsAAOSwWotbxyq8:sc:USPSFirstClass!27525!US!-1

IMG_8044.JPG

Ok. What are your opinions on the hobbywing heat sink and fan combo? I’ve heard really good stuff about it.

Ok. What are your opinions on the hobbywing heat sink and fan combo? I’ve heard really good stuff about it.

I use that one. I bought it for 10 euro or something like that from Aliexpress. It is a good cheap fan, but you need to bend the heat sink a little bit around your stock motor. It is a little bit too large.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back