Best kv for Kraton 8s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What esc? Want to run that motor but its max amp pull is 210a, higher than the 200a max5 I use.
I have a leopard 58110 950kv 210a . Have not tried it yet but I will in near future. Was thinking of getting the 300a esc just to be safe don't want to hurt new max 5.

I have decided to go with a tp power 5660 926 kv, it pulls 180 max amps. Should be pretty ideal for this platform with a max5. Going to run a 40t pinion.
I have a leopard 58110 950kv 210a . Have not tried it yet but I will in near future. Was thinking of getting the 300a esc just to be safe don't want to hurt new max 5.

I have a Leopard 58113 1050kv and a 34T pinion. I didn't GPS it yet, but I'd ballpark about 60mph. It's a missile. It drives like a 8th scale Kraton, albeit heavier. I should have some GPS numbers in the next week or so (if it ever stops raining).

Ask gavsta72, he has alot of good suggestions for many of the 1/6th-1/5th scale stuff and has loads of experience. I followed his advice on the above combo and it's been great. I'm not worried about the summertime either, since my temps are about 70d (21c) ESC and 121d (49c) motor after a 10 min run in 45d (7c) weather.

I have experience with the larger 1/5th Losi stuff (I own several) but this rig has a different feel to the drivetrain. I want to say there is less "stickshin" and everything just seems to transmit power though the entire geartrain better with this platform.
After a ton of research I've decided on this motor and pinion combo with the Max5 for my Kraton 8s. I was just curios if you ever added a heat sink and or fans to the motor by this point? I would like to do it all at once while I'm tying things down and making the changes. I've ordered the larger slider for the motor and the MOD1 pinion with 8mm bore. Did you need to do any other mods to get the motor to fit and mount? I'm hoping I don't need to change out the actual motor mount as well, but will if I need to.

After a ton of research I've decided on this motor and pinion combo with the Max5 for my Kraton 8s. I was just curios if you ever added a heat sink and or fans to the motor by this point? I would like to do it all at once while I'm tying things down and making the changes. I've ordered the larger slider for the motor and the MOD1 pinion with 8mm bore. Did you need to do any other mods to get the motor to fit and mount? I'm hoping I don't need to change out the actual motor mount as well, but will if I need to.

No, stock motor mount. I'm more then happy with this setup and it has proved reliable this Summer. My highest recorded temp on my motor has been about 144d back in early August. I recall that day being very hot, maybe about 90d (32c). I'm running dual fans on the motor as a safegaurd but I don't think it's really needed.

I'm never happy with "good enough" but I don't feel like I would want anymore speed or power with this thing.

It scares small children and animals.

No, stock motor mount. I'm more then happy with this setup and it has proved reliable this Summer. My highest recorded temp on my motor has been about 144d back in early August. I recall that day being very hot, maybe about 90d (32c). I'm running dual fans on the motor as a safegaurd but I don't think it's really needed.

I'm never happy with "good enough" but I don't feel like I would want anymore speed or power with this thing.

It scares small children and animals.
Haha, fair enough. I ordered the castle dual fan heat sink as it looked like it should fit. Maybe I'll try without first and see how it goes.

PPS mount MAX 44T & 8S

HW 56113, 800kv + 44T =about 92km/h

LEOPARD 5892, 980kv + 44T = about 113km /h (39t about 100km/h)

stock 1250kv + 25T = about 80km / h

your choice

Last edited:
PPS mount MAX 44T & 8S

HW 56113, 800kv + 44T =about 92km/h

LEOPARD 5892, 980kv + 44T = about 113km /h (39t about 100km/h)

stock 1250kv + 25T = about 80km / h

your choice

and with what ratio here you can still make wheelie easily?
Or no longer feasible with these combinations?

I will have the max5 - 1100kv combination...

Where did you order the larger slider and MOD1 pinion?

Thanks for the recommendation lol

Deffo the Leo 1050kv or the Hobbystar 56112 980kv, both will guarantee cool temps in the Summer months. You see i had the Hobbywing 1100kv and the motor got to 95c on a 26c day with a 25t pinion. Installed the Hobbystar 980kv with a 34t pinion, and the motor only got to 75c on a 33c day....with no fan. I could gear higher and add a fan, but i have the m2c mount so 34t max. Not that it matters, 57mph is nice and fast

I think the K8S just crosses that thin line of being too heavy for the smaller 87/92 long motors, and needs a 112/113 long can if you want good speeds and cool temps in the Summer months
Would I better off installing the hobbywing 800kv motor instead of the 1100kv I have both motors on hand or use neither and go with hobbystar 980kv?

My k8 is all stock except new servo and I like it so far I put punch on 5 and it wheelies fine no issue just need to get a wheelie bar

This is my starting point 👍🏼
70B2F366-3583-4DA2-BBE2-2A56CF31A45F.jpeg

1100kv

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back