Best loctite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loctite 243 or the Permatex equivalent (oil resistant blue) is good because you don't have to clean the threads as thoroughly before application. Loctite 242 or regular Permatex blue will work too but oil or grease residue ruins the bond more easily. I have also used Vibratite brand and find it has a higher breakaway torque than the strength class equivalents from other brands, which you may or may not want. Permatex orange (between blue and red strength) might be good for set screws and the like but I haven't used it.

Sticks and gels can be less messy but you'll still need liquid for blind hole applications. I generally find the liquid easier to work with as the bottles come with a small applicator spout that lets me precisely drip it on a screw or in a hole without mess. Perhaps my technique is just less practised but when trying to use a gel or stick applicator I find it taking longer to properly coat the threads.
As always, thanks for your technical knowledge. I decided in my sleep I’m gonna have both. I’m going to check into that 243 version, I like it not being affected as much by residential oil. When I first got into the hobby 18 or so months ago I bought three bottles online and I’ve been realizing lately that it’s not as effective as it should be. But it is a knock off brand so makes sense now that I know more.

You might get a thousand answers here.:LOL: And why.
I use Loctite 243. (Blue) Large 50ml bottle.
242 is the standard common Blue TL.
243 works better on dirty, oily and prior Threadlocked stuff. Overall same strength as 242.
Honestly, they are all very similar. It is how long you let it cure (roughly 24 hours) and how clean you prepare the screws before installing.
I just stay away from Red TL's and rarely use TL on Aluminum. Just sometimes you need to. Like the Arrma Metal diff cases for instance. Need to use a slight drop.
Very little TL needs to be used. Too much causes issues. Sometimes no matter how much heat you use, it won't come off without damage to the screw or the part.
Well I was hoping for at least a dozen 🤣 This is how I educate myself. I research till I’m confused and then I ask you guys. Typically when I put all of it together it makes sense. Thanks man!

Well I was hoping for at least a dozen 🤣 This is how I educate myself. I research till I’m confused and then I ask you guys. Typically when I put all of it together it makes sense. Thanks man!
Well, then to add to the confusion, clear nail polish is a great alternative to threadlock. I've used it a few times in the past when I didn't pay attention to my supply and ran out of threadlock...its hold is comparable to blue.

Well, then to add to the confusion, clear nail polish is a great alternative to threadlock. I've used it a few times in the past when I didn't pay attention to my supply and ran out of threadlock...its hold is comparable to blue.
🤯 that’s great, love it!

Back in the 90's, some Kit brand's manuals suggested using CA for thread locking some high stress metal on metal parts. Usually ball differentials that easily loosened up. Specific grades of TL was not commonly found back when, and not used on very small fine threaded screws.
But CA is no good IMHO. Been there some years ago. Not recommended any longer. Blue TL is always used..
I could see using Clear Nail polish in an extreme pinch. Just never tried it before. But have heard of this.

As always, thanks for your technical knowledge. I decided in my sleep I’m gonna have both. I’m going to check into that 243 version, I like it not being affected as much by residential oil. When I first got into the hobby 18 or so months ago I bought three bottles online and I’ve been realizing lately that it’s not as effective as it should be. But it is a knock off brand so makes sense now that I know more.
I still have the Tekno Included Generic Blue TL from my 410 kit. It is fine for me also.
I keep it in my field box. I don't know who mfr's it. Probably purchased in bulk and Tekno repackaged? Whatever it is?

What I use.
50ml size will last for many years. The tip dispenses well. Cheaper for the large bottle. (243)
Small Tubes suck. A waste. They leak out. Messy.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Strength-Threadlocker-Operating-Temperature/dp/B071G83KQT/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3NRK4YYUPLXCE&keywords=loctite+243&qid=1645029531&sprefix=loctite+243,aps,73&sr=8-4

Last edited:
I still have the Tekno Included Generic Blue TL from my 410 kit. It is fine for me also.
I keep it in my field box. I don't know who mfr's it. Probably purchased in bulk and Tekno repackaged? Whatever it is?

What I use.
50ml size will last for many years. The tip dispenses well. Cheaper for the large bottle. (243)
Small Tubes suck. A waste. They leak out. Messy.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Strength-Threadlocker-Operating-Temperature/dp/B071G83KQT/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3NRK4YYUPLXCE&keywords=loctite+243&qid=1645029531&sprefix=loctite+243,aps,73&sr=8-4
Thanks for the link! I grabbed a bottle. I’d only found the tubes before and yes, they leak and are a pain.

Keep in mind that Loctite products generally have a rated shelf life of only one year once opened (though in my experience threadlocker tends to last much longer than this if stored well) so if you don't use it up very quickly you may prefer to get a small tube and regularly replace it with fresh supply.

Keep in mind that Loctite products generally have a rated shelf life of only one year once opened (though in my experience threadlocker tends to last much longer than this if stored well) so if you don't use it up very quickly you may prefer to get a small tube and regularly replace it with fresh supply.
Okay thank you! I did not realize that but it makes sense. Same goes for the stick kind?

I believe it applies to all their threadlockers, but don't quote me on that. A company rep has told me that they test them out to two years with a small tolerable degree of strength loss, which is what the two year unopened and one year opened shelf life is based on. It's a soft ceiling that doesn't necessarily represent the real storage life but it's all they can guarantee. I have old opened bottles that still work fine and I continue to use them for non-critical applications like R/C, but I thought this might be useful info if you want to do things by the book.

I believe it applies to all their threadlockers, but don't quote me on that. A company rep has told me that they test them out to two years with a small tolerable degree of strength loss, which is what the two year unopened and one year opened shelf life is based on. It's a soft ceiling that doesn't necessarily represent the real storage life but it's all they can guarantee. I have old opened bottles that still work fine and I continue to use them for non-critical applications like R/C, but I thought this might be useful info if you want to do things by the book.
Mine are about 1.5 years open and it’s gooey lately, just doesn’t dry like it used to. So perhaps my issue isn’t quality or brand but age. I’ve another unopened bottle of the same brand I’ll open and try.

I’m not a total by the book person but do like to pay attention to instructions and recommendations somewhat 🙃

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back