Best method of selling RC online?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey all. So I think I'm about to sell one of my trucks on face book. My question is what method you guys recommend for getting my money without getting ripped off? I've only sold on ebay before and they charge big fees for listing and then take a chunk of the money from your sale.
I'm thinking paypal, never used it before to sell. I'm assuming it's relatively safe and I just send an invoice through them or something like that?
Any advice would be appreciated it thanks!

Hey all. So I think I'm about to sell one of my trucks on face book. My question is what method you guys recommend for getting my money without getting ripped off? I've only sold on ebay before and they charge big fees for listing and then take a chunk of the money from your sale.
I'm thinking paypal, never used it before to sell. I'm assuming it's relatively safe and I just send an invoice through them or something like that?
Any advice would be appreciated it thanks!
I’ve been selling on eBay for about 20
Yrs as well as selling on various rc websites

eBay charges 10% of the total sale value so it is pricey
But you’ll get crazy exposure
PayPal is good and very safe for both parties.
I’ve bought a bunch of stuff on Facebook but never anything rc so I’m not sure if it’s a good way to sell. Personally I’d sell on eBay but that’s just me.
The key to a successful sale on eBay is a good description that’s very clear and transparent as well as good pics. If you do that you’ll get good results. I’d research on eBay pre sale though to see what average selling prices are though so you can price realistically

I'm actually already getting offers for my truck from one of the groups on FB. I feel like I have a deal all but done so I'm just looking to see how I can actually get paid if they want to buy it. I think go with Paypal most likely. After that I'll have to figure out how to ship it too. I'm thinking USPS, I shipped an RC truck before with them but ebay took care of the shipping labels and all that. Doing it by myself will be a bigger hassle.

eBay as an org isn’t a bad deal, but the people who you will be selling to are hit or miss. My son has sold a variety of items and more often than not, these buyers are looking to get over and scam you one way or another. I would sell locally for cash if you can. If you’re in a rural or small market, then maybe the classified section here or FB Marketplace might work better.

On Offerup. You can meet up, You do have the option to ship. But in person maybe less of a hassle. On here. Pretty much as said, I've never bought or sold in here but i wouldn't hesitate. What are you selling? Lol

On Offerup. You can meet up, You do have the option to ship. But in person maybe less of a hassle. On here. Pretty much as said, I've never bought or sold in here but i wouldn't hesitate. What are you selling? Lol

I'm selling an SMT10 Max D. Best thing is he doesn't seem to want the body lol so I might sell that down the line as well. I actually prefer to just sell by mail. I've heard some awful stories of people that sell/buy stuff in person and have gotten robbed or even killed.

I'm actually already getting offers for my truck from one of the groups on FB. I feel like I have a deal all but done so I'm just looking to see how I can actually get paid if they want to buy it. I think go with Paypal most likely. After that I'll have to figure out how to ship it too. I'm thinking USPS, I shipped an RC truck before with them but ebay took care of the shipping labels and all that. Doing it by myself will be a bigger hassle.
With PayPal you get paid up front and then get discounts on shipping
If you’re going to sell and ship you should check rates so you can charge for shipping up front
PayPal is great but they do charge 3%
Well worth the convenience

Yeah
With PayPal you get paid up front and then get discounts on shipping
If you’re going to sell and ship you should check rates so you can charge for shipping up front
PayPal is great but they do charge 3%
Well worth the convenience
Yeah I'm trying to figure out the rate for shipping as soon as I find a box that I can actually fit the truck into. I'm thinking USPS but I know Fed-Ex and UPS are other options. Which one do you guys use to ship?

UPS is typically a little cheaper, go to a UPS store and let them give you the rates.
Easily $50-70 pending box size and how much you have them do i.e. box and wrapping etc.

Paypal is the most secure.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out the rate for shipping as soon as I find a box that I can actually fit the truck into. I'm thinking USPS but I know Fed-Ex and UPS are other options. Which one do you guys use to ship?
Typically ups or fed ex have better rates for shipping larger stuff
I usually ship fed ex

Ebay/paypal - make sure you have proof of everything. Photograph the item immediately before you send and photograph it in the package (write the details of the trade - usernames and item and date on a piexe of paper and have in shot). Keep postage receipts and always use a service which provides proof of delivery. That way, if you end up in the paypal disputes process, you have all the evidence you need to demonstrate you upheld your end of the bargain.

Anecdotally, I've used ebay for years both buying and selling. This year is the first time I ever had anyone try it on. I posted out an rc rx and tx which got to him in perfect condition but he asked for money back because he thought it should have been packaged better. It was sent padded in a jiffy bag. I engaged with the bloke to get clear admissions over email that he had both received the item and that it was working perfectly. Once i had that, he didnt have a leg to stand on and quickly dropped his nonsense.

I only sell on FB marketplace now, get the locals to buy it off you face to face in cash, I find it pretty straightforward and less chance of getting ripped off, of course, if the guy turns up with a shotgun in my face then that's a different story. :LOL:

I only sell on FB marketplace now, get the locals to buy it off you face to face in cash, I find it pretty straightforward and less chance of getting ripped off, of course, if the guy turns up with a shotgun in my face then that's a different story. :LOL:
Lol. Yeah I like the buying side of this hobby but selling is kinda stressful. Hope I sell this one and I’m done.
Ebay/paypal - make sure you have proof of everything. Photograph the item immediately before you send and photograph it in the package (write the details of the trade - usernames and item and date on a piexe of paper and have in shot). Keep postage receipts and always use a service which provides proof of delivery. That way, if you end up in the paypal disputes process, you have all the evidence you need to demonstrate you upheld your end of the bargain.

Anecdotally, I've used ebay for years both buying and selling. This year is the first time I ever had anyone try it on. I posted out an rc rx and tx which got to him in perfect condition but he asked for money back because he thought it should have been packaged better. It was sent padded in a jiffy bag. I engaged with the bloke to get clear admissions over email that he had both received the item and that it was working perfectly. Once i had that, he didnt have a leg to stand on and quickly dropped his nonsense.
Great advice! Yeah I’m gonna take pics of everything if I do end up selling it.

I would also add to what has been said that you will get more money selling your upgrades separate from the RC as a complete package.
If for example you had a hobby wing ESC and motor.... I would put the original electronics back in and sell those upgrades separately.

I recommend selling these larger, bulky things locally on FB marketplace and NEVER meet at your house, they could just "cancel" the meeting and just rip you off when you aren't around since they know what you have.
Always pick a neutral location that has outside/parking lot security cameras.
Paypal has never steered me wrong, and Venmo works pretty well too, but cash is pretty straightforward, except for larger transactions (I ain't bringing 20K in cash to buy your pickup lol).
It helps if the person is a regular FB user as well, means they aren't just using a burner account and the cops have been known to use FB to track down perps.

Well I thought I had the sale but seems like both guys are leaving me hanging for the time being. I get what you guys are saying about selling my upgrade parts separately. I was sellingng a possible $600 or so in parts for half that price. Kinda glad I didn't sell it yet. I'm thinking of listing by stuff on ebay again. Does anyone know how much they charge for listing something, per month? I can't recall from the Clodbuster I sold but I think I was charged $30 for listing it after one month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back