Kraton Best Motor and ESC upgrade for Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinKraton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Guys,

I am not there yet...

But one day I can see myself wanting more power and acceleration for bashing and scaring myself!

What are you all running? LINKS, PICS and RESULTS / Experiences appreciated!

MOTOR, KV, ESC, Amps?

Hobbywing max6 1650kv combo fits perfect and has a ton of power running a 21t pinion right now going to swap for the 23t. I personally wouldn't recommend a bigger esc then the max6 has it fits perfect between the servo mount and pinion. But on that note you could get the 1100kv and run 8s on the max6

Attachments

• 20190517_214835.jpg
    20190517_214835.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 20190518_095937.jpg
    20190518_095937.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 20190517_214856.jpg
    20190517_214856.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190518_095941.jpg
    20190518_095941.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 237
Max6, Hobbystar 4092 1710kv, 18t pinion, 6s. Check my YouTube for running videos.
What kind of run times do you get, if you keep track of that. I know you tend to run alone like I do, so most of your bashing is I'm guessing fairly constant until LVC or breakage.

I average 15 minutes with two HRB 5000mah 3S and 18-19 minutes with two Hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs.

Doesn't look like that motor would be too long for toue outcast.

What kind of run times do you get, if you keep track of that. I know you tend to run alone like I do, so most of your bashing is I'm guessing fairly constant until LVC or breakage.

I average 15 minutes with two HRB 5000mah 3S and 18-19 minutes with two Hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs.

I really don't know, Olds. I'm a one pack max guy because I usually bash 2-3 vehicles. I can't remember the last time I went to LVC and swapped in a fresh battery to the same truck.

Thanks guys. So how much of a difference powerwise is this set up?

Can you describe it? Is it like another 20% more speed? Torque? Acceleration?

I really don't know, Olds. I'm a one pack max guy because I usually bash 2-3 vehicles. I can't remember the last time I went to LVC and swapped in a fresh battery to the same truck.
Yeah, I tend to make a day of it. Rarely do I just run one set of packs. I do always take two trucks though unless I'm just testing something during the week. When I go out on a weekend, I usually go out Saturday for 6-8 hours, run through 3-4 sets of packs in the outcast and 2-3 single packs in my stampede or eJato. Then stay home Sunday to survey the damage/order parts and edit video footage.

Now that I have the grass bmx track, I run a couple sets of packs back to back. It's entertaining enough to swap and repeat. Before, I'd run one set of packs in the outcast, then one pack in a smaller truck, pack up, drive to another skate park/bash site, run a set there, pack up, go to another place, etc.

Your Vids are amazing! I've been watching them for a whle!

Hey what kind of ramps are those?

Yeah I might need to get some of those tires too!
The plastic ramps are from Amazon by Discount Ramps. 2 are about $100. I just built some wooden ones that I'm now using. What tires are you referring to? The Copperhead 2's?

The plastic ramps are from Amazon by Discount Ramps. 2 are about $100. I just built some wooden ones that I'm now using. What tires are you referring to? The Copperhead 2's?

thanks brother! yes those tires!

I've got some Badlands 3.8's and the Minnekowas.

What batteries have you been running? I want to make sure I get the best discharge rate...
Are these the ramps? Looked up 'discount ramps' on Amazon. Did not see anything in particular with that brand that looked like an RC / skate ramp but saw these:

https://www.amazon.com/Landwave-LWR...scount+ramps&qid=1558733745&s=gateway&sr=8-35

thanks brother! yes those tires!

I've got some Badlands 3.8's and the Minnekowas.

What batteries have you been running? I want to make sure I get the best discharge rate...
My batteries are nothing special. I was running Turnigy Graphene 65C 5000mAh 3s's but they are big and heavy. Lots of punch but with big air they destroy the battery tray. So I went back to the Lektron Pro 50C 5000 mAh batteries.

My batteries are nothing special. I was running Turnigy Graphene 65C 5000mAh 3s's but they are big and heavy. Lots of punch but with big air they destroy the battery tray. So I went back to the Lektron Pro 50C 5000 mAh batteries.

Thanks!! Have you seen that the 'C' rating makes a difference?

Or maybe the the 'burst' rating?

Thanks!! Have you seen that the 'C' rating makes a difference?

Or maybe the the 'burst' rating?

All I cam say about C rating is stick to 50 or better. But trying to compare Brand A 50C rated battery to Brand B 50C rating is like pissing in the wind.

But trying to compare Brand A 50C rated battery to Brand B 50C rating is like pissing in the wind.
Yep yep. +1 to that.

I have HRB 5000mah 50C 3S packs and Hobbystar 6200mah 50C 3S packs that I run in my outcast. The hobbystar's have noticably more oomph throughout the run from start to LVC.

I know C rating and mah work hand in hand to figure out amps, so I don't know if HRB had 6200mah 50C packs if they would perform better or not.
6200*50=310A
5000*50=250A

Now, is either of those really capable of sustained 50C pulls, I don't know. I do know I run traxxas connectors which in theory are good up to 100A, so if I was to try and pull 250+ amps continuous out of a pack, the connector would likely melt.

That said, the 5000mah packs feel "soft" on the trigger for the last 3/4 of the run compared to the 6200mah packs.

Last edited:

The Hobbystar 4092 hits the rear a arm on the Outcast/Notorious from what I have been told, and from where my digital calipers land it does appear the a arm will hit.

The Hobbystar 4092 hits the rear a arm on the Outcast/Notorious from what I have been told, and from where my digital calipers land it does appear the a arm will hit.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't shopping, but I do like to read what works best for when I do need to get a replacement.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't shopping, but I do like to read what works best for when I do need to get a replacement.

You can notch the a arm so it doesn't hit, not sure if that makes a weak point or not.

I went with the Leopard Hobby 4285 1680kv going to start with 18t pinion and see how that does.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back