Best motor and esc upgrade for kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same question and thinking of two options for my kraton 2015 that i just bought;

1: Hobbywing max8 + Leopard 4082 2000 Kv
2: Mamba Monster V2 ESC + 2200 KV motor
3; Just replace the stock esc for with the hobbywing max8

Currently im running 4s but i guess 6s will get in the Kraton soon.
Its mostly bashing and less speed runs what i do.
My goal isn't higher topspeed but lower temps and therefor longer runtime.

What are the pro's and cons for the options mentioned and what would you go fore?

Thanx for your input!

I have the same question and thinking of two options for my kraton 2015 that i just bought;

What are the pro's and cons for the options mentioned and what would you go fore?

Thanx for your input!
I have the first setup you mention and it does run cool,but i would get the Leopard 4282 instead( has sealed can and cooling fins).

image.jpeg
Thanx Kauaiguy,

What pinion/spurgear are you running whit that setup?
13t Robinsonracing pinion and stock spur.If your looking for a big increase in power,than go with the 4292( it is heavy).The Leopard use 3mm screws instead of the stock 4mm,with the 4082 i haven't had my spur slip,but with the torque of the 4292 1730kv others have and had to retap the mount holes to 4mm.

Last edited:
View attachment 3617
13t Robinsonracing pinion and stock spur.If your looking for a big increase in power,than go with the 4292( it is heavy).The Leopard use 3mm screws instead of the stock 4mm,with the 4082 i haven't had my spur slip,but with the torque of the 4292 1730kv others have and had to retap the mount holes to 4mm.
With the Leopard 4282 mayby i don't need the aluminium case and fan you have installed?

Thanx for your input!
Hey Fox.. My Leopard 4082 1600kv just arrived. Waiting on Mamba Monster X ESC. I'll keep u posted. That L 2000kv is a beast I heard.

I started with a Hobbywing ESC and a Leo 4082 2000kv. Then I put that motor in my Senton and got a Leo 4092 1730kv for the Kraton.
Can't go wrong with either motor but the 4092 is better for the heavier Kraton. The 1600kv is probably even better!

I started with a Hobbywing ESC and a Leo 4082 2000kv. Then I put that motor in my Senton and got a Leo 4092 1730kv for the Kraton.
Can't go wrong with either motor but the 4092 is better for the heavier Kraton. The 1600kv is probably even better!
Thanx Dubbel-A,

Wether 1600kv or 2000kv is better, isn't that depending on the use of 4s or 6s lipo?
For 4s they say 2000kv and for 6s they say 1600 kv, is that correct?

Well, its more like which motor is better suited for the application.
In a heavier car, the 1600kv can run safer on 6s, can be geared up, and generate less heat than the 2000kv motor so that's why most would say 6S/1600. But, geared correctly, you can easily get away with running the 2000kv on 6s. That's what I did for a while and it ripped. I just had to monitor temps at it ran hot towards the end of a run.

Well, its more like which motor is better suited for the application.
In a heavier car, the 1600kv can run safer on 6s, can be geared up, and generate less heat than the 2000kv motor so that's why most would say 6S/1600. But, geared correctly, you can easily get away with running the 2000kv on 6s. That's what I did for a while and it ripped. I just had to monitor temps at it ran hot towards the end of a run.
Sorry for asking all this, im new in the rc hobby:)
On 4s 1600 kv is not enough right? My gear is 14T pinion/50 spurgear.

4s with the 1600 will still run great but you may want a bigger pinion to get more speed out of it.

I run a 14t pinion with a 1730kv and on 6s its beastly.

I am running the mamba monster x 2200kv combo in my Nero and it is a beast!! It will wheelie at pretty much any speed. Castle advises that I go down to the 15 tooth pinion that is stock on the Nero versus the 17T. They say that it is causing my esc to work too hard and shut down. So watch the gearing is all I'm saying. But aside from that I love my mamba monster x combo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back