Kraton Best Motor, Electronics Combo For Kraton 6s EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mamba Monster X has a built in BEC. Just need the B link to program it.
Yeah I up'd it to 7 volts but didn't change much. It goes as high as 9, might try that but I think my problems may be more due to the diff weights I'm using, I may need to play with that a bit - my front diff exploded and my quick replacement may have been a little too heavy... It's a minor thing to work through. Frankly I'm just happy to get full 30-minute runs now without any temp cutting, I get the full use of the 100C battery with zero issues. I still have the stock tiny pinion gear that I can bump up without worrying much. It just opened up so much more enjoyment. If I go big with the 1/5 Outcast or Kraton in the future, I'm definitely going EXB and Castle motor/ESC after the upgrade here on the Notorious.

Yeah I up'd it to 7 volts but didn't change much. It goes as high as 9, might try that but I think my problems may be more due to the diff weights I'm using, I may need to play with that a bit - my front diff exploded and my quick replacement may have been a little too heavy... It's a minor thing to work through. Frankly I'm just happy to get full 30-minute runs now without any temp cutting, I get the full use of the 100C battery with zero issues. I still have the stock tiny pinion gear that I can bump up without worrying much. It just opened up so much more enjoyment. If I go big with the 1/5 Outcast or Kraton in the future, I'm definitely going EXB and Castle motor/ESC after the upgrade here on the Notorious.
Watch that BEC voltage because it regulates the fan as well. You don’t want to fry circuits going to high. Make sure everything that the ESC regulates has a voltage rating over what you set the BEC to.

The only clearance issue was with the cotter pin that goes through the center roll cage which touches the motor. I clipped it to make it shorter and it fit just fine.

I had this problem with my 1717 motor and turned the clip 90 degrees so it is oriented horizontally instead of vertically. To do this you need to drill a small hole in the plastic assembly that holds the clip. Took 30 seconds with a a very small bit (I think 1/16 inch). Only need to do this on the motor side, obviously, since there is no clearance issue on the other side.

Same thing with the side guard. I trimmed the 4th screw mounting position on the side guard so it is shorter and I use a screw that is 2mm shorter than stock.

With those two changes I can get the 1717 in and out without scraping the can and without removing or disassembling any other part of the vehicle.

If anyone is interested in cool running no thermal cut off insane performance from their Kraton EXB this is it. Standing wheelies with a double pump of the throttle at full speed. I'm guessing 70+ MPH but haven't tested it. All Rick Bobby knows is its fast and makes me curse! Here are my costs as well so you know what you're getting into. This is a list from starting with nothing.

My Project costs:
Kraton EXB
69.95 Traxxas Tool Kit
139.95 Reefs Raw 500 Servo (Insane waterproof programable torque)
27.99 Work Stand
150.00 G.e.n.s Ace Bashing Series 6800mAh 22.2V 120C 6S1P Lipo Battery Pack (120C! Heavy but awesome) (Annoying that I have to be creative so this algorithm doesn't say gens-ace-r-spam Spammers when I post the thread. This should be changed forum admins.
11.95 RPM Mamba ESC Cage (Only used the switch holder, the rest won't fit in the 6s)
10.99 IC5 Connectors
300.00 Castle Mamba X8s/1520-1650KV Motor/ESC Combo (No thermal cutoff after using whole battery at top speed, low KV means cooler temps and more torque. High pinion tooth count for speed)
16.99 20Tooth Mod1 Arrma Pinion Gear (Great speed/torque balance)
10.00 Solder Labor (My irons are in storage in a different state :( )
10.49 IC5 Extension Cable
12.99 Lipo Safety Sack
149.99 Lipo Charger
7.70 300mm Sensor Wire
54.99 SR315 D Receiver
121.12 DX5c Transmitter only (Got a deal on Amazon)
3.98 Velcro Cable Ties
7.90 3M double sided 8” Sheet (Use 3M 5952 VHB tape) It's better than screws. Had to shave down the lip on the plastic mount to fit Mamba X8s.
11.00 Castle B-Link (For in the field adjustments on my iPhone. Allows for cheaper receiver and transmitter. I only use a 3 channel receiver which also gives a AUX channel for a specific function you use often to be programmed to a button on the transmitter like throttle speed if you want to hand off to someone who is inexperienced with the power.)

Sub Total: $1587.97

Tax:

Tax Sub Total: $104.18

Total: $1692.15

View attachment 173919

View attachment 173923
Do your self a favor and trash that Traxxas tool kit, I had the same one and stripped out so many pinions and fasteners with it, never use the 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5…buy the MIP ones in those sizes…if someone told me what I’m telling you now when I got back into the hobby it would have saved me so much time and aggravation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back